Audience Introduces Its Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable

jhm731

Audience Introduces Its Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable,
for Upgraded Performance in Music Servers and Computer Audio Devices​

San Marcos, CA, January 22, 2020 – Audience is now shipping its Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable. The new SATA (Serial AT Attachment) cable is designed as an upgrade for internal connections of music server/computer storage devices, solid-state and disk drives and other hardware.

The new Hidden Treasure SATA cable provides better data transfer by reducing jitter and RF contamination, resulting in a lower noise floor and notably improved sound quality in audio components such as computer-based music systems. It can be easily installed as a DIY upgrade.

“More audiophiles are turning to music servers and other data storage, drive-based devices for their music listening, and these devices require a SATA cable for connecting the drive to the rest of the internal electronics,” noted John McDonald, president of Audience. “As a cable manufacturer it was a logical area for us to look into. We’ve discovered that upgrading the stock SATA cable with our Hidden Treasure cable can significantly improve the sound.”

Transmission of data including digital audio signals through a SATA cable happens at a much higher speed than via a USB connection and as a result, is more susceptible to jitter and internal system noise. The Audience Hidden Treasure SATA cable employs newly developed proprietary design techniques intended to block noise and ensure optimum signal condition and data integrity. By removing layers of sonic “grunge,” the audible result is greater low-level detail and a smoother, more inviting sonic presentation.

Although the retrofit of a component’s stock SATA cable with a Hidden Treasure SATA cable is a simple un-plug and re-plug function, Audience recommends that the upgrade be performed by a qualified technician. Audience also recommends consideration of the manufacturer’s warranty that could potentially be voided when modifying a particular music player. Audience accepts no liability for damage caused by improper installation.

The Audience Hidden Treasure SATA data cable is currently available. Suggested retail pricing is as follows: 12-inch cable, $180; 18-inch cable, $200; 24-inch cable, $220.

WGH

Re: Audience Introduces Its Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2020, 07:28 pm »
My first reaction was "cool", I'll pay for better sound (and have) but at this point there is only website ad copy on why this cable is better than the free SATA cable that came with my motherboard. A $180 cable is a hard sell to us mere mortals. Monoprice sells 6GBps SATA cables for $0.73 and $0.83 each with a total of 452 five star reviews, the Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable has zero reviews.

But there is a solution: a cable tour. The Hidden Treasure SATA cable is the perfect size to mail around the country in a padded envelope. I don't think we can get to 452 reviews but it's worth a try. My music server includes a PPA USB card and 3 linear regulated power supplies, a friend's server has an even more exotic power supply system so we would both be good candidates for a tour.

Patiently waiting.

Wayne

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2020, 08:22 pm »
  I tell ya that the Monoprice cable is well OK. Supra OK, CertiCable VG, TWL excellent. I read those reviews and bought accordingly. I do not know what Digital gear the reviewers are using s I did not get same result. Using a 32K Digital front end.

charles

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2020, 09:46 pm »
My first reaction was "cool", I'll pay for better sound (and have) but at this point there is only website ad copy on why this cable is better than the free SATA cable that came with my motherboard. A $180 cable is a hard sell to us mere mortals. Monoprice sells 6GBps SATA cables for $0.73 and $0.83 each with a total of 452 five star reviews, the Hidden Treasure SATA Data Cable has zero reviews.

But there is a solution: a cable tour. The Hidden Treasure SATA cable is the perfect size to mail around the country in a padded envelope. I don't think we can get to 452 reviews but it's worth a try. My music server includes a PPA USB card and 3 linear regulated power supplies, a friend's server has an even more exotic power supply system so we would both be good candidates for a tour.

Patiently waiting.

Frank Doris
631-645-5668
frankdoris@frankdoris.com

Maybe he'll send you a demo.

Wayne

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2020, 12:49 am »

Frank Doris
631-645-5668
frankdoris@frankdoris.com

Maybe he'll send you a demo.

Thanks

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2020, 11:44 am »
Seems a little late to the game, most modern computers no longer use sata cables. I recently did a new build and rather than utilize on board hard drive I used a sata cable cause I already own an entry level Pachanko sata cable.

Would be interested in comparing with the Pachanko which I believe was about $150 retail but paid half that. It defiantly had a more refined sound than a $15 cable did, and wanted to move up the pachanko chain but never pursued.

Sign me up for tour if it works out.

PS, I didn't know TWL made a Sata cable??
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2020, 01:39 pm by Nick77 »

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2021, 04:07 pm »
Are there any folks who have tried the Audience SATA cable?  I am interested, but somewhat skeptical that any 6 GB/s SATA cables will be "better" than any other.  But I remain open minded.  My custom server for HQPlayer uses a local HDD for music storage.
I investigated the SATA cable spec, and also papers regarding cable requirements for testing SATA interface speed and data integrity levels, and those papers did suggest that SATA cable quality (bandwidth, shielding and impedance) do matter when testing for SATA interface performance.
After researching, I would propose a few things for a SATA cable design:

1.  Keep the cable short, signal integrity will be more easily preserved over a short run.
2.  Control the impedance of the cable tightly to eliminate reflections
3.  Shield the cable
4.  Use a quality silver plated copper conductor for the best signal speed-these signals travel not he surface of and in a field around the conductor.
5.  Each signal conductor should be of precise and equal length.

Given the above, i would propose a cable made with four coax cunductors of 50 ohm impedance each (to accurately meet the 100 ohm differential part impedance), with a 26 AWG, silver plated copper center conductors, and all shields connected to the ground pins of the plugs at both ends.  This cable should not be too difficult to produce, as coax wire of this specification if fairly common.

I do find it a shame that manufacturers fo "audiophile" SATA cables do not actually describe the construction of their cables-if they did actually mention how their cables might improve imperformance via their construction, there could be at least some ability to determine whether a given cable might be worth a try.