40lbs of pork butt!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
40lbs of pork butt!
« on: 12 Aug 2017, 12:08 am »
I fired up the WSM for some serious pork butt action. I have almost 40lbs slow-smoking at 220°. I hope it hits that sweet spot before 3a.m.!!! I'm having some 50+ people over for my bro-in-laws engagment party. I sous vide 20+lbs of chicken yesterday, so that'll get heated up on the grill too. I figure pulled pork sliders on Hawaiian rolls with chicken, baked beans, mac salad, with drinks...it'll be a fun day tomorrow!!!

Brettio

Re: 40lbs of pork butt!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2017, 12:12 am »
I love my WSM and have made some awesome pulled pork on it. I'm sure the food will be a hit...keep us posted!

What wood are you using (just so I can imagine the smell too....)?  Brett

luckyguy

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2017, 12:16 am »

WSM?  Weber smoker medium size?  Winchester short magnum?

Brettio

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2017, 12:20 am »
Weber Smokey Mountain which is also known as the 'Weber bullet'.  I like my Weber better than my short mag...

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2017, 01:08 am »
Hey Brettio, I'm using pecan and apple woods. Usually I go with hickory and apple, or hickory and pecan, but this time...experimenting is half the fun, right? And it smells unbelievable! I managed to get 4 butts in my 18.5" WSM! I applied good ole Plochmans mustard before adding a thick coating of my favorite rub. I'll keep the pics coming. It's 9 p.m. here and my butt temps are at 168 degrees. I've been at 154 - 168 since 4 p.m. My meat has "plateaued". I hope I hit 198 degrees before 3 a.m.!

Brettio

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2017, 01:23 am »
I completely know the fun you're having. I'm jealous! 

I wish I had superpowers and was able to speed up 'the stall' for you. Oh well, it's part of the fun I guess!

There's gonna be a lot of very happy guests tomorrow!

Brett

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2017, 02:28 am »
We're at 181 and climbing!!! I might get to bed before midnight!!! This pile of protein smells AWESOME!!! You smokers out there need to try mixing pecan and apple woods with your next butt smoke!!!

goskers

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2017, 02:43 am »
Well into the stall now.  Wait it out and you shall be rewarded.  I have found 203 to be a solid finished temp virtually every time.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2017, 02:58 am »
Sounds good. I just broke out the "bear claws". With an internal smoker temp of 240 my pork butts are roaring ahead to 186!!! I just might get to bed by 1 a.m.

Brettio

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2017, 03:05 am »
I agree 203 degrees is perfect.  I can't tell you how many nights, or should I say mornings, I've had to stay up waiting for that temperature.  Then the fun of burning my hands pulling it apart starts (I'm too stupid to buy bear claws).

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2017, 03:07 am »
My claws were a gift. I'm thankful for them, thats fer sure.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2017, 03:42 am »

Now that's a manly thing right there, yup!!!

Brettio

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2017, 04:05 am »
Those would have saved my digits more than a few times.  They're going on my wish list.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2017, 04:21 am »
Here's a question guys. If I pull these butts in an hour, could I let them (4, @10lbs each) sit in a cooler to rest until 7 a.m. before I shred them?

Bemopti123

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2017, 04:36 am »
Here's a question guys. If I pull these butts in an hour, could I let them (4, @10lbs each) sit in a cooler to rest until 7 a.m. before I shred them?

Pork that is immediately cooked is easily pulled apart...once allowed to cool. it becomes hard/er to pull and handle.  That is my impression....although I have NEVER had large quantities of meat cooked and later cooled and then prepped. 

Brettio

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2017, 04:40 am »
I'm sorry I don't know your time zone so I don't know how long until 7:00 am...  but this is from amazingribs.com:

'If you are more than an hour from mealtime, you can leave the meat on the cooker with the heat off or put it in the indoor oven and hold it there by dialing the temp down to about 170°F. If you are more than 2 hours from mealtime, wrap it in foil to keep it from drying out and hold it at 170°F. If you are taking the meat to a party, use a faux cambro, which is nothing more than a tight plastic beer cooler in which you can hold the meat. Leave the probe in the meat, wrap the hunk tightly in foil, wrap the foil with more towels, and put it the whole thing in the cooler. Fill up the cooler with more towels, blankets, or newspaper to keep the meat insulated. Hang the thermometer cord over the lid of the cooler, and close it tightly. Plug the cord into the readout and make sure it never drops below 145°F. Just know that this technique will soften the bark and change the texture of the meat very slightly.' 

I hope that helps...and they're talking about pork specifically on those temps. 

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2017, 04:55 am »
Thats a beautiful bird for your avatar...I always thought hunting with falcons would be great!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 12 Aug 2017, 05:40 am »

Smells like the best ham ever made is in my kitchen!

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 12 Aug 2017, 06:26 am »

I highly recommend these claws!!! 2 big butts down in less than 20 minutes, and 2 to go!!!

Brettio

« Reply #19 on: 12 Aug 2017, 12:16 pm »
Man, good things continued to happen after I fell asleep!  Those look beautiful and I'm sure taste even better!  What time did you finally put the claws into service?  It's really cool that you're contributing so much to this memorable event. 

And I agree about falconry, I've been a life long fan. I always thought I would dive into it when I retired but as I get closer I realize I may not want to take on such a huge responsibility.  Here in Boise we're fortunate to have the World Center for Birds of Prey and on a recent visit one of the people working there had literally just arrived with the centers new prize, that beautiful Gyrfalcon.  I was lucky to get some close ups.

Hopefully you'll get a few winks before the guests arrive today.  I look forward to seeing the spread and hearing the comments. Some lucky guests there!

Brett