AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier

OzarkTom

AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier
« on: 4 Jul 2018, 04:06 am »
My buddy Rex sent me this info. A great review on Stereophile. DIT kit- $314 Assembled-$468

Description: Class-AB stereo power amplifier with LM3886 power-amplifier integrated circuit, regulated power supply with 10,000µF capacitance. Inputs: 1 pair single-ended (RCA). Outputs: 2 five-way speaker binding posts. Power output: 50Wpc into 8 ohms, nearly 100Wpc into 4 ohms. Frequency response: 5Hz–100kHz, –3dB. Input impedance: 51k ohms. Sensitivity: 1V RMS produces 20.59V RMS output. Slew rate (typical): 14V/µs. Damping factor at 1kHz ref. 8 ohms: >80. Signal/noise: typically 136dB below 50W into 8 ohms, A-weighted.
Dimensions: 15" (380mm) W by 4.5" (115mm) H by 10" (255mm) D. Weight: 15.5 lb (7kg).

https://www.stereophile.com/content/akitika-gt-102-power-amplifier

https://www.akitika.com/GT102.html

tipatina

Re: AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2018, 01:29 pm »
I built and still enjoy the predecessor the GT-101. Great fun and learned lots wit the build and the sound is excellent. I wouldn't doubt the GT-102 is even better. Here's a link to review of the GT-101.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144923.msg1550180#msg1550180

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2018, 02:30 pm »
My buddy Rex sent me this info. A great review on Stereophile. DIT kit- $314 Assembled-$468

Description: Class-AB stereo power amplifier with LM3886 power-amplifier integrated circuit...

How does it compare to his DAC amp? I had a LM3886 based amp a while back and I thought it was very good, especially for the $$. But as good as it was, it's not even close to the Maraschino’s.

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:17 pm »
How does it compare to his DAC amp? I had a LM3886 based amp a while back and I thought it was very good, especially for the $$. But as good as it was, it's not even close to the Maraschino’s.

Rex just ordered the Burson Bang amp, so I imagine if he purchased this one, it will be at a later date. He will compare the Bang to the DAC SMT and Cherry monos that he now owns.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2018, 09:56 pm »
Hmm looks like a similar design to the LM3886-based "MyRef RevC" I built with the help of the diyaudio forum several years ago. I haven't used it much though, because I really need an affordable preamp to go with it that has tone controls and multiple inputs.

His PR-101 kit has me intrigued...although I could get a used (or even a new) Emotiva PT-100 for less than the cost of the PR-101 kit. Hmmm... :dunno:

maty

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2019, 08:26 am »
Review: AkitikA GT-102 Power Amplifier, Part I LS3/5A vs Linn Kan

https://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/2019/02/akitika-gt-102-power-amplifier.html

With a tube preamp, vocals are naturally even better. Shirley Horn’s priceless You won’t forget me (CD, Verve) was so utterly compelling that I just had to listen from start to finish (which never occurred before). Not only were the fine modulations of Horn’s voice as well rendered as I have ever heard, the piano (herself) and the solos of the guests (a starry cast, including Miles) had startling definition and realism, as did the ambience and audience noise (little). On Richard Galliano’s Bach album (CD, DG), I too could not help just sampling, and had to listen to the entire Violin Concerto. For either album, I was not at all sure I’d exchange the amp for even the best tube amps.

Sonic Assessments Overall, there is little question that the AkitikA is an overachieving amp. The most gratifying thing is, no matter what I played, I was gripped and could not stop listening. I am likely to keep it and the LS3/5A for a quick listening system, such is the synergy between them. The LS3/5A works well with UK classics integrated amps like the Naim Nait, but here it is taken to a wholly new level. Rhythm and Pace The AkitikA even trumps the UK amps in PRaT that the flat-earthers so covet.

Solid State? Although the AkititkA is just a little warm sounding but, lest you misunderstood from the listening notes above, it is not tube-like. Although vocals and instrumental timbers are alluring, the treble, though not lean, is not quite as harmonically fleshed out as a tube amp. Tube die-hards may demure, but the AkitikA compensates by its enticing performance in other areas...

Samac

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2019, 09:26 pm »
What a great review. Thanks for posting the link, maty.

I'm really not surprised he liked it as much as he did. There's something special about that LM3886 chip. I love my Arcam A19 integrated that uses it. :thumb:

I'm going to have to get the AkitikA GT-102 very soon.

Cheers,

Scott

maty

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2019, 10:47 pm »
The key, like the DAC chips, is the IMPLEMENTATION.

Btw, Arcam A19

[Polish] https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/wzmacniacze-stereo/954-arcam-a19

to English: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Faudio.com.pl%2Ftesty%2Fstereo%2Fwzmacniacze-stereo%2F954-arcam-a19

Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W] 8 Ω, 2x 56
Rated power (1% THD + N, 1 kHz) [W] 4 Ω, 2x 86
Sensitivity (for maximum power) [V] 1x 0.24
Signal / noise ratio (A-weighted filter, with reference to 1W) [dB] 79
Dynamics [dB] 96
Damping factor (relative to 4 Ω) 75

Only 79 dB with LM3886 is a very bad implementation.

And the power at 4 Ohms is too small.

Only 50 kHz at -3 dB.

If you love with this poor implementation, imagine with a good!

You can add a good potentiometer if you do not have a preamp or DAC with preamp.

Samac

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2019, 12:26 am »
Yes, it will be interesting to listen to the AkitikA. Regardless of measurements I really enjoy my A19. It has performed beautifully the past five years. The reviewer from the link you posted does a very good job describing the sound.

I just finished listening to Marillion's Misplaced Childhood with a big smile on my face. :D

Cheers,

Scott

maty

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2019, 08:26 am »
Well, the music and its quality recording is very important too. I usually listen to very good recordings with high/very high DR (dynamic range).

dr.loudness Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

Usually we listen at home with less 10 watts continuous. We need more peak power to play the peaks <- DR.

The best of LM3886 chipamp is the THD+N

Good/very good recordings will appreciate that distortion so low. Others LM3886 implementations have less/a lot less distortion too.

Btw, one LM3866 by channel agrees speakers with high impedance. And with this power, better with true sensibility of 88 dB/W/m or more.

dliscomb

• NAD 7250PE, SONY SS-U610, Technics SL-5
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2019, 01:39 am »
Hey, thanks @OzarkTom.  I've been thinking of putting together an all-DIY setup, and this looks like Step 1 for me!

Kind regards,
Drew

maty

« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2020, 02:25 pm »

Archguy

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2020, 08:00 am »
Hmm looks like a similar design to the LM3886-based "MyRef RevC" I built with the help of the diyaudio forum several years ago.

That's the chip in the SMSL SA300, right?  I bought one of these several weeks ago and remain mighty impressed with it.  I should A/B it with the FXPRO TPA3255.

It does have about the best BT function I've ever encountered; unfortunately I don't use BT very often.  Except in the car of course.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2020, 06:05 pm »
That's the chip in the SMSL SA300, right?  I bought one of these several weeks ago and remain mighty impressed with it.  I should A/B it with the FXPRO TPA3255.

It does have about the best BT function I've ever encountered; unfortunately I don't use BT very often.  Except in the car of course.
I'm not really familiar with the SMSL SA300, but a quick google search shows that it uses an Infineon MA12070 class D power amplifier chip. 

The LM3886 is a class AB amp IC, not class D.

Archguy

« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2020, 02:30 am »

The LM3886 is a class AB amp IC, not class D.

Thanks, now I'm wondering where I even got that idea.