FINAL final thoughts from Pez and Tyson.

bacobits1

Re: FINAL final thoughts from Pez and Tyson.
« Reply #60 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:53 pm »
Very good coverage enjoyed it !!
Appreciated !

rodge827

« Reply #61 on: 8 Oct 2015, 03:13 pm »
Tyson and Pez Thank you for the great coverage of RMAF over the years. RMAF is a show I have wanted to attend but have never been able to. It has been a trip seeing it through your eyes and listening through your prose. But as with all good things they do come to an end.
I wish you both well in retirement and please continue to contribute to AC...it's fun having you around :thumb:

Chris

KLH007

« Reply #62 on: 8 Oct 2015, 04:26 pm »
Tyson & Pez, Thank you for your years of real time show coverage! We all want you to avoid being put to sleep tomorrow, and for a surprise return to covering the 2016 RMAF. I understand how much work is involved in your process of real time reporting, it probably takes most/all of the fun away from attending RMAF. If you both have really called it quits on covering RMAF, maybe in 2016 you can actually ENJOY the show without the weight of writing/editing/photos and have the opportunity to spend more time in rooms that grab your ears, and to hang out in the evenings with friends and just discuss the show without having to be tied to a laptop. Your teamwork and real time coverage has changed the future for the better, your perspective always fresh and unvarnished, your critiques did bring room treatments and speaker positioning to the attention of exhibitors (and those that listened reaped better sounding rooms), and your candor and humor will be missed. Thanks again for breaking barriers and giving us great insight into how the rooms at RMAF sounded. Please don't go silent, keep a presence here.

BobC

« Reply #63 on: 8 Oct 2015, 04:41 pm »
It's been said...but add me to the long list of people who enjoy and value your coverage every year.  It's the best there is IMO...so thank you!

Now...for next year...pound some shots and hit a local "club".  I want to see that coverage.....because your posts make up for the Denver trip I wish I could take  :duh: 

mojave

« Reply #64 on: 8 Oct 2015, 04:52 pm »
Tyson & Pez, thanks for all your work on the room reviews. I've followed most of your coverage over the years and it has added some fun and excitement while sitting at a desk working. The past two years I've enjoyed having you in the room I help setup and fill with most of my own gear. If you do stop by next year (and if I'm at the show next year), I'll try to make it the third year in a row that you have listened to Eagles in our room.  :P

NEXT YEAR: you guys will at least do 2016.

I'm not sure you realize this, but the Cherry Maraschino amps were in room 2016. At first I though you were asking them to at least review the room with your products.  :D

WGH

« Reply #65 on: 8 Oct 2015, 05:03 pm »
Pez and Tyson, thanks for the years of excellent reporting and snarky comments. When at RMAF I always went online early Saturday morning to see what you guys posted and which rooms are a must see and which rooms to bypass. It's been fun.

Wayne

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #66 on: 8 Oct 2015, 05:10 pm »
I suspect history will shine brightly on this decade long run of audio reviews centered around one particular show.  In fact, I don't think it will ever be matched or exceeded for reader value and even more for pure reading fun and pleasure.

Upon first reading, I was astounded at how fun and outrageous were their comments.  It was like getting sucked into a vortex.  The more I read the more I had to read. 

If there is ever an award for audio reviewers, Pez and Tyson (listed alphabetically) own it outright, regardless the metric.

A job well done, and not soon topped.

I hereby nominate these two stalwarts for the future Audio Hall of Fame, category "Amateur (unpaid) Audio Reviewers."  Upon induction, their title shall thereafter be appropriately abbreviated "GOAT" for Greatest Of All Time Audio Reviewers.

Cheers for a job exceptionally well done, and all for the reward of only high fives from their many admirers and lots of grief from some occasional detractors.       

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #67 on: 8 Oct 2015, 06:10 pm »
For the seriously bored/disturbed, maybe we can put all of their show coverage into one gigantic thread for posterity's sake?

rascal

« Reply #68 on: 8 Oct 2015, 07:10 pm »
Can you just stop? I don't really want to discuss anything with you. You're over use of smilies while being a dickwad is off putting enough. Just start your own topic somewhere else.

If you do not want to address my post, no problem.   I have no idea about Tyson  :finger:. but good luck to both of you in your future audio event reviewing. Your use of profanities or stating new facts is revealing enough.

In 2013 I had commented http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=51064;area=showposts;start=20

Well said- for me T&P RMAF coverage was best of AC sponsor coverage. Nothing wrong with that but I laugh when I read it was best coverage -shows fanboys will remain fanboys :evil: For such a large event I think you have to collect and read coverage from here, Stereophile, Enjoy the Musc etc. since no one covers everything..nothing is perfect but definitive statements make me cringe  :nono:

T&P effort and open discussion of preferences/bias- makes them honest- something which I do not find too easily elsewhere.

I will have to remove last statement from my assessment for this year but again I enjoyed it.  Folks may disagree with me- but response here and to jhm is revealing itself. 

I will post no more on this thread.

dflee

« Reply #69 on: 8 Oct 2015, 09:10 pm »
I have enjoyed the many hours spent reading the written thoughts dredged
up by the pair of Pez and Tyson and comments about. For that I thank you
both.
Has anybody else noticed the Pez and Tyson show came to light the same
time Ren and Stempy went away? Coincidence or was this a continuation of?

Don

jriggy

« Reply #70 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:21 pm »
I know, I'm terrible. I have been here for ages. I guess I just got to the point where I personally didn't find a lot of value in being here. Not because this place isn't AWESOME which it is, but because I'm rocking pretty damn near what I consider audio nirvana in the last few years. I used to post all the time! I would come here to find new gear and learn about new stuff. Now I know enough that the consumption/contribution portion of my musical quest is at the end game. Going to the show year after year has also drastically tamed my lust for 'the best' because I know its not just a subjective idea, but an ever moving goal post. I will visit more because I know I'm missing major stuff! But I doubt it will ever be like it was 6-7 years ago.

Thanks for the detailed answer, Jason. Much appreciated.

Jason

BruceW

« Reply #71 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:36 pm »
Pez and Tyson Great guys some honesty how refreshing --Go the BOYS!!

BruceW

strateahed

« Reply #72 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:19 am »
Another big "Thank You" to Pez and Tyson for your great show coverage and honest reviews! Having visited a few audio show rooms, I know how challenging it can be to see/hear most of everything being offered. You guys have done a tremendous job of bringing the RMAF to life for those of us who were not physically there. Very valuable stuff ... kudos!!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #73 on: 9 Oct 2015, 01:28 am »
Tyson & Pez, thanks for all your work on the room reviews. I've followed most of your coverage over the years and it has added some fun and excitement while sitting at a desk working. The past two years I've enjoyed having you in the room I help setup and fill with most of my own gear. If you do stop by next year (and if I'm at the show next year), I'll try to make it the third year in a row that you have listened to Eagles in our room.  :P

I'm not sure you realize this, but the Cherry Maraschino amps were in room 2016. At first I though you were asking them to at least review the room with your products.  :D
The 2015/2016 thing did cause some confusion.  Not as much as there will be next year if the room number is the same!  Thanks again to YOU as well for putting a great room together and much more.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #74 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:17 am »
Wow, the outpouring of support is a bit overwhelming - thank you all!  I'm afraid it really is our last year and we might go to RMAF next year, but won't be doing any coverage.  It's been a great 10 years and I wouldn't change a thing, not even the people that challenge us or get in our faces about stuff.  All part of the experience.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

And to everyone with kind words for us, once again - THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #75 on: 9 Oct 2015, 04:45 am »
  It's been a great 10 years and I wouldn't change a thing, not even the people that challenge us or get in our faces about stuff.  All part of the experience.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

If you think about it, criticism is good, you guys have to go through what equipment vendors go,get the bad as well as the good,and learn from it,the only way to get better...I hope to see you next year too..all small vendors will miss you if you dont...rock on into the future.. :green:

OzarkTom

« Reply #76 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:52 pm »
Jason and Tyson, after going to these shows for 10 years and hearing the best audio has to offer, how many times have you purchased a new product to improve your system after the show?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #77 on: 9 Oct 2015, 02:14 pm »
And to add to Tom's question, you guys should make a top ten list for the ten years and the gear you would personally buy. Thanks for your efforts.

Rocket_Ronny

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #78 on: 9 Oct 2015, 04:08 pm »
Sure, I can do that.

Stuff I've bought at (or because of) a show:

Serenity Acoustic Super 7 Speakers
iFi Micro iDSD
Beyer T1 Headphones
Alclair Curve IEM's

All my rec's for other equipment would be heavily biased toward AC vendors, for 2 reasons.  First, we gave them more time for demos during all the shows, and 2nd because they really do make some amazing gear, especially if cost/value were considered.  My own personal list would run like this:

Bass/Subs - Audiokineses.  Duke has simply come up with a better way to do bass in a home than anyone else out there.  Really impressive and hard to 'unhear', once you've heard bass at this level.

Speakers - Vapor and Odyssey.  Perennial best in show vendors for us, so no surprise there.  Vapor for big tower speakers that push the envelope for performance while remaining balanced, and Odyssey for their Kismet bookshelf speaker which is just about the best price/performance I've ever seen for a serious high end speaker. 

Amps/Preamps - harder to judge unless you've heard different electronics with similar speakers in similar rooms over several years.  I'll tell you 4 that stand out to me - DAC Cherry, Odyssey Stratos, Purity Audio, and Vinnie Rossi.  The Digital Audio Company Cherry digital amps because they are the first digital amps that didn't sound cold, lifeless, and sterile to me and their control, slam and dynamics are literally breathtaking.  Odyssey because every year they come in and go toe to toe with the best of anything at the show and do it for a ridiculously low price.  Purity Audio because they actually made Daedalus speakers sing in a smaller room, something I'd never heard before.  Finally Vinnie Rossi, the LIO gets you off the grid and does it with no compromise in high end sound quality at all.  Vinnie's been working on this type of approach for a while and with the LIO he finally nailed it.

DAC's, Cables, Power Conditioners - are you kidding me?  No way to tell how any of this stuff sounds vs anything else under show conditions, so no recs possible.  Sorry  :lol:

BobC

« Reply #79 on: 9 Oct 2015, 05:24 pm »
Wow, the outpouring of support is a bit overwhelming - thank you all!  I'm afraid it really is our last year and we might go to RMAF next year, but won't be doing any coverage.  It's been a great 10 years and I wouldn't change a thing, not even the people that challenge us or get in our faces about stuff.  All part of the experience.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

And to everyone with kind words for us, once again - THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well others will step up, but you've set the bar high.  Thanks again!