More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

randytsuch

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #60 on: 25 Sep 2017, 02:38 pm »
At this point I am more invested in spending money on power supply solutions - these inexpensive dacs, like the signstek punch above their weight in my setup largely due to all the PS modifications I've done. If I had a $1000, I wouldn't spend more than half that on a retail dac and put the rest in power supply.

PS mods are almost always worthwhile, especially usb powered devices.  USB powered is cheap, but if you haven't made mods to it, dirty power.
IMHO, lifepo4 batteries are a fairly inexpensive, relatively easy way to get clean power.  5V is a little harder, you need to put two batteries in series, then use a power resistor to drain them until you get down to 5V before you connect them up.  3.3v you can just connect them up to it, through a switch so you don't drain the batteries.

Randy

uncola

« Reply #61 on: 25 Sep 2017, 05:25 pm »
tried out the da3 connected to my preamp today.. it sounds great.  using volume set to max to bypass digital attenuation.

Think I'll try this balanced adapter for it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ATAUDIO-Silver-Plated-Hifi-2-5mm-TRRS-Balanced-to-2-XLR-Male-Cable-For-Astell-Kern/32822840419.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.22hiCM

randytsuch

« Reply #62 on: 25 Sep 2017, 07:41 pm »
ESS dacs have an implementation of digital volume control that should not result in very little degradation.

This is pretty technical:
http://www.esstech.com/files/3014/4095/4308/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

JDUBS

« Reply #63 on: 27 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm »
tried out the da3 connected to my preamp today.. it sounds great.  using volume set to max to bypass digital attenuation.

Think I'll try this balanced adapter for it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ATAUDIO-Silver-Plated-Hifi-2-5mm-TRRS-Balanced-to-2-XLR-Male-Cable-For-Astell-Kern/32822840419.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.22hiCM

The problem with that cable is that it doesn't use a ground.  This isn't a problem on portable devices but when you connect the Da3 to a HOME preamp...you might get a hum.

This is the type of cable I'm picking up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-Audio-Gotham-Astell-amp-Kern-2-5mm-TRRS-Balanced-XLR-Output-Cable-1-0M-/112479651224?nma=true&si=SlgTnGTTwThh7h2M3DbuyIyR8NI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Uses a common ground which isn't ideal, but better than none (and shouldn't hum).

-Jim

uncola

« Reply #64 on: 27 Sep 2017, 01:05 pm »
doh, hopefully no hum.  We'll see though, I already ordered it!  I've been using the da3 as my desktop dac and it's been working flawlessly and remembers to stay at max volume when I reboot my pc so I don't have to fiddle with it.  Definitely has good enough sound to be a desktop dac.

JDUBS

« Reply #65 on: 27 Sep 2017, 01:15 pm »
doh, hopefully no hum.  We'll see though, I already ordered it!  I've been using the da3 as my desktop dac and it's been working flawlessly and remembers to stay at max volume when I reboot my pc so I don't have to fiddle with it.  Definitely has good enough sound to be a desktop dac.

Fingers crossed!  Hum isn't a guarantee so hopefully you'll get lucky.

-Jim

uncola

« Reply #66 on: 27 Sep 2017, 01:31 pm »
is it more likely than hum from the single ended output?  where are you going to plug the 3.5mm ground into on your preamp? does it have a 3.5mm ground plug?  tha'ts pretty high end..  or just like.. tape it to a chassis?

wushuliu

« Reply #67 on: 27 Sep 2017, 04:14 pm »
Just a reminder for PC users: make sure you've spent time optimizing your PC. Go through your bios, check your control panel/Power options, format your drives properly (FAT sounds best), etc. If you have ASIO or similar drivers like XMOS etc., play with all the settings, doublecheck your Audio adapter settings (sometimes your PC will reset sample rates, you never know). Test different USB outputs. All of this is free.

I myself forgot to turn off C-States in Bios and some other settings and now I get another bump in sound quality. Cost me nothing.

Make sure to use Deoxit to clean contacts before using. All contacts actually in your chain. Another little bump in sq for very little money. Tested last night with SATA for instance, dac jack and usb inputs and it definitely helped. Easy to forget little things like that.

JDUBS

« Reply #68 on: 27 Sep 2017, 04:16 pm »
is it more likely than hum from the single ended output?  where are you going to plug the 3.5mm ground into on your preamp? does it have a 3.5mm ground plug?  tha'ts pretty high end..  or just like.. tape it to a chassis?

You won't get hum w/ the single-ended because it has the ground. 

The 3.5mm on the cable I bought is connected to the unbalanced / single-ended output on the DAC output section just to grab a ground.  Its wired to the ground pin of each of the XLR outputs.

-Jim

JDUBS

« Reply #69 on: 27 Sep 2017, 04:36 pm »
Not affiliated with Moon Audio, but this is a pretty good write-up:

https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

-Jim

OzarkTom

« Reply #70 on: 27 Sep 2017, 05:09 pm »
My buddy Rex ordered a D3, I will probably get one also. :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #71 on: 27 Sep 2017, 11:25 pm »
D3 sounds awesome with Android phone (OnePlus3)  :thumb:

uncola

« Reply #72 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:21 am »
how did you get it to work trung?  I have a usb a female to usb c male cable and my oneplus2 didn't recognize the da3.  I'm waiting for a usb c to micro usb adapter to use with a microusb to usb a female cable

JDUBS

« Reply #73 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:38 am »
how did you get it to work trung?  I have a usb a female to usb c male cable and my oneplus2 didn't recognize the da3.  I'm waiting for a usb c to micro usb adapter to use with a microusb to usb a female cable

Why didn't you just get a usb c to usb a cable?

-Jim

uncola

« Reply #74 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:41 am »
I have one, but it doesn't work.  Reading online it seems people only got usb otg to work with their oneplus 2 using a micro usb to a female cable and then an adapter for usb c to microusb so they could use the other cable.  something to do with the oneplus pinout

TrungT

« Reply #75 on: 28 Sep 2017, 01:19 am »
I have Anker OTG cable C to USB3, and I just hooked up to confirmed it still working great.
Will look into C to C cable next.

uncola

« Reply #76 on: 28 Sep 2017, 01:53 am »
this is the cable I'm trying with my oneplus 2 that doesn't work :(  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWN64RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wushuliu

« Reply #77 on: 28 Sep 2017, 02:11 am »
this is the cable I'm trying with my oneplus 2 that doesn't work :(  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZWN64RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gotta read those one star reviews. I never buy something with more than 8% one star unless absolutely necessary.

karnana

« Reply #78 on: 28 Sep 2017, 09:26 am »
D3 sounds awesome with Android phone (OnePlus3)  :thumb:
Are there any noise problems?

TrungT

« Reply #79 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm »
No noise, working perfectly with OnePlus3. :thumb: