Component cable suggestions

Mathew_M

« on: 25 Feb 2003, 04:20 pm »
With my latest room arrangement I need a longer component cable from my progressive scan dvd player to hidef toshiba.  I'm looking to spend less than $200 and need roughly 7-8 feet of cable.  

Thanks,

Matt

jcoat007

« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2003, 05:06 pm »
You might want to check these out.  

http://www.zucable.com/megular/index.html

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2003, 07:53 pm »
I've been extremely pleased with the cables I've got from Bolder. I'd suggest talking to Wayne about a run of his Component cable.
http://www.boldercables.com/Store.asp?m=TheBolderCableCompany&n=10&k=7589&s=Video+Cables

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2003, 08:01 pm »
ditto the bolder cables.  I am awaiting the retermination Wayne is doing for me on my component cables.  I am getting bullet plugs on the source end and BNC on the plasma end (cause that is what the plasma has). Great video cables.  I know not a whole lot has been said about Bolder's video cables and I haven't compared them to many others out there except Monster's Hi Res 2 component cables which they easily beat.  Much sharper contrast and subtlely richer colors.

mamsterla

BlueJeans cable
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2003, 02:32 am »
I bought the Belden 7710 based cables with the Canare true 75 ohm connectors.

You can see them here:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm">Blue Jeans Component Cables

I found them a definite improvement over the stock component cables I had.  I do not believe that it is worth going overboard with these cables the same way as with audio cables, but that is my personal opinion.  My eyes are far more forgiving than my ears.

I am just a satisfied customer - the build quality is top-notch and the time from taking my order to delivery was a scant 3 days.  It fits easily in your budget too.

Lex

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2003, 03:45 am »
Well, you could go with a standard type copper coax product, or you could look for a premium silver coated 75 ohm coax for better color saturation, and definition according to many people...  Silver is just as tough to beat for video as it is for audio really.

Actually, as you go up the ladder in coax quality, the differences can be very visible.  This is not something that can be hidden.  But if you never use one, you have no true point of reference.

Also, something else for you to be aware of: When you hear that some connectors are 75 ohm?  That's a myth.  It's impossible for a connector to be 75 ohm.  Ask the experts at AA in cables.

Yes, they can be 75 ohm compatible, but no connector itself is 75 ohm.  It's just a myth, plain and simple.

Lex

Mathew_M

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2003, 04:04 am »
I was wondering how everything stacked up against monster products.  I hate that when I walk into any big box store the only 'high end' cable is monster brand.  It is so futile to even talk to a sales drone because they are so full of b.s.  

thanks

Lex

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2003, 04:37 am »
Hard to say how "everything" stacks up, I know what my customers have said with the Tigress though compared to the brand you mentioned.
They keep the Tigress.

Lex

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2003, 11:18 am »
Quote from: Mathew_M
I was wondering how everything stacked up against monster products.  I hate that when I walk into any big box store the only 'high end' cable is monster brand.  It is so futile to even talk to a sales drone because they are so full of b.s.  

thanks

True, the Monster product carried by major retailers usually isn't worth spending the $ on. But they do have many products above the stuff that all of your bix box retailers carry. In the case of Component cables I believe they've got 5 different levels of cables. The bix box retailers only carry the bottom three grades as your average joe won't drop $200 on a 2M cable.

Their top end video cables are actually pretty good. But I wouldn't touch anything that a major chain store retailer would carry, such as the Monster Video 2 cable that Josh mentioned above. I've got many of Monster's top end S & Component cables and am quite happy with them.

Quote from: Lex
Hard to say how "everything" stacks up, I know what my customers have said with the Tigress though compared to the brand you mentioned.
They keep the Tigress.

Lex

Doug, do you have specifics on the models of Monster Component cable that your customers have replaced with your Component cable?

I'm willing to pick up better Component cables at a later time. But only if they're noticably better than the M1000's I'm running now...

BOK

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2003, 01:47 am »
Another nod for the Zu Megular........ easily outperformed a $200. Monster Silver series and a Canare based BetterCables(not the SSerpent).

BOK

Lex

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2003, 05:34 am »
Bubba, I wish I could find specific model info, but I couldn't.  I am pretty sure one customer at least replaced a 1000.  But I cannot say without a doubt.  I can tell you that NO Tigress has ever been returned for a refund.  I would guess that says quite a bit.  Going back through various emails and such tonight, I did read quite a few positive comments.  I emailed a few of my customers asking what they replaced, but I have not heard back from anyone as yet.

Doug

hayden

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2003, 07:57 pm »
PM me and I will put you in touch with a person who can make you some nice custom Canare cables for a very reasonable price.
JP

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2003, 12:26 am »
Hmmm...interesting topic.  I'm shopping for a 25m set of component cables, and it sure ain't easy finding 'em that long.  Maybe custom would be the way to go?

byteme

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2003, 01:55 am »
'nother vote for Zu's Megular.  I got a 3 meter run for dirt cheap when they were introducing them on ebay but would consider them a bargain at current prices.  They replaced an original bettercables component set.  I'm sure if you asked the Zu's would make any length you want - they have been great to deal with on every transaction I've had with them.

Lex

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2003, 02:47 am »
25 meter Rob?  What, you going to the neighbor's house with the signal?  LOL.

I personally would not build a 25 meter cable.  That's just to long, and to much risk for great signal loss, thus a return, so it's not worth it.

Lex

TheeeChosenOne

Re: BlueJeans cable
« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2003, 10:02 pm »
Quote from: mamsterla
I bought the Belden 7710 based cables with the Canare true 75 ohm connectors.

You can see them here:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm">Blue Jeans Component Cables

I found them a definite improvement over the stock component cables I had.  I do not believe that it is worth going overboard with these cables the same way as with audio cables, but that is my personal opinion.  My eyes are far more forgiving than my ears.

I am just a satisfied customer - the build quality is top-notch and the time from taking my order to delivery was a scant 3 days.  It fits easily in your budget too.

I'll second the Blue Jeans cable.  You can get the same Belden cable with connectors as Bolder's at a fraction of the price.

These cables are great BTW.