Ideal wattage for Omega speakers?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Ideal wattage for Omega speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2015, 04:44 am »
Thanks Dan,

Love that ebony.  Keep us posted as things develop.  It's a wonderful speaker and very easy to drive.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2015, 09:24 am »
Would still like to hear from Louis, just what the wattage rating is for each driver.  I know Louis avoids specifications like the plague, but maximum power (and output) would be useful is handled intelligently, and it would remove a cloud (at least in my mind) over his products.  I know Omega is not for headbangers but live music can reach peaks of 105 dB, can Omega?  In room, with two speakers, that can translate into needing 108 dB output at one meter.  With the stated efficiencies that equates to needing 20 - 40 watts per channel to reach symphonic peak levels.  And having a safety margin is always a good thing (in the case of solid state to avoid nasty/hard clipping that can melt speaker voice coils). 

Traditionally:

Tubes provide their cleanest signal at low outputs (where most listen, especially with higher efficiency speakers) and solid state are cleanest at high outputs. 

Tube amps had poor damping, meaning that speakers would suffer bass bloat (exaggerated, flabby, poorly controlled bass).  But as very few high efficiency speakers can reach say 30 Hz and all amps (50 years all were tubes) were small, it was pretty much a mote point.

Nowadays both solid state and tube amps have generally gotten better in these regards.  The ancient Decware Rachel I home auditioned on my single driver speakers (F3 = 25 Hz, 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohms) years ago sounded glorious but bloated badly, but no solid state amp has and neither did my Prima Luna Dialogue Premium integrated (tube).

Audiophile58

« Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2015, 09:33 am »
Hello JLM,  What model Omega do you have ?

roscoe65

« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2015, 12:00 pm »
Hello JLM,  What model Omega do you have ?

I suspect that JLM does not own Omega speakers, even though he offers a lot of opinion on them as if he does.  I also suspect he does not own subwoofers despite his constant recommendation of a "swarm" of subwoofers.  I also suspect that he does not have an actual computer digital front end, though he has indicated on a number of occasions that he "intends" to put one together.

JLM offers a lot of opinion that seems to come from experience but seems in reality to come from some other place.  While this hobby and it is expensive and difficult for most of us to directly experience all the equipment and configurations available, it would be helpful if those holding themselves out to be experts actually have some experience in the equipment they are talking about.

RDavidson

« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:15 pm »
Roscoe65, must a museum curator own a Van Gogh to be an "expert" on Van Gogh paintings?

I get what you're saying, but it seems to me as though your goal is to try and make someone here look bad, when they have done nothing but offer their opinion based on either their personal experience or from reading (the next best thing).

If you have a problem with sharing info and opinions, forums aren't for you. Honestly, you're coming off as being insecure.

hdrider

« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2015, 02:25 pm »
One of the many important lessons that I have learned in my transition from my previous system (ARC, Krell, Moscode, Sequerra) and previous life in the audio business is that synergy seems to be more important (to me) than the specs. My ''ancient'' Decware Rachael (October 2014) is so removed from any other tube amp I have had in my system (I sold VTL, CJ, Cary) that when I listen or someone comes over and listens there is no tell tale signature that you are listening to tubes. I locked in to Steve's Decware designs with my first 2 watt Zen amp, and the purchase of my Rachael and ZP3 phono stage was made with confidence, and with the addition of Louis's Omega 7XRS speakers the synergy is amazing. To me, it is as simple as my favorite salad that my wife makes all through the spring and summer…fresh tomatoes off the vine, fresh basil picked after the sun has gone behind the trees, Mozzarella cheese and good olive oil from Italy. Four simple ingredients and an amazing result. I got off the spec bandwagon and am enjoying recorded music more than I ever have. I KNOW the synergy that my Omega sub will add (when Louis finishes building it and ships it) and the 7's driven by the Decware gear will be even better than I expect. Being able to mix live audio weekly, having a pretty good studio and playing music for the last 45 years  has helped me trust my ears and heart. Just my opinion and refunds of my .02 cents are available. Happy listening, Chris.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2015, 03:23 pm »
Happy 6000 JLM.  I just noticed. 

I turned 500 a few of weeks ago.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2015, 03:49 pm »
Would still like to hear from Louis, just what the wattage rating is for each driver.  I know Louis avoids specifications like the plague, but maximum power (and output) would be useful is handled intelligently, and it would remove a cloud (at least in my mind) over his products.

Jeff,

If I may offer my opinion, you are needlessly over thinking and being too dogmatic. As I recall, you generally prefer to listen within the range of safe SPLs or below 90 dbs. One watt will get you there and then some.

Also, the maximum wattage most speakers can take really depends on the amp more than the spec. You may recall Ed Schilling use to have a Pass X-150. He referred to it as the voice of God because he'd throw everything it had into his beloved FE108 Sigma drivers causing them to play so loud his ears bled. Not until he drove the amp into hard clipping did those 108's give up the ghost. Anyhow, the point is he regularly exceeded the Fostex 25 watt maximum rating with impunity because His amp was able to maintain a tight grip well beyond the spec.

Having said that, from what I have read, Alnico drivers are more prone to being damaged when played loud. The sensitivity can drop by as much as 3 db. Not sure why that is, but I just bought a vintage pair of Telefunken Alnico drivers last week and I was curious to learn a little about Alnico drivers.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2015, 11:35 pm »
Power handling is so dependent on the content of the source material it's not that helpful. Especially with BR enclosures. For example the RS5 may only be able to handle 5 watts with a 30 Hz sine wave but might handle 100 watts with a 1 kHz sine wave.

For the size the Omega drivers are overachievers though, people have a hard time believing the Super 3 XRS I have can actually do what they do...