***X-SLS & X-CS Encore, AV-1RS Build***

Peter J

• Hmmmm
***X-SLS & X-CS Encore, AV-1RS Build***
« on: 9 Nov 2011, 04:46 am »
Visited daughter and family this summer. Sound system in living room consists of some computer speakers hooked to an old receiver under television. That got me to thinkin', and I decided that they need speakers  :wink:

I've been jonesing to build something and the deals Danny has on the AV123 stuff seemed like naturals, so I'm building a pair of X-SLS Encores for mains, X-CS Encore for center and Danny's own AV-1RSs filling in the rear.

I thought I'd loosely document the build 'cuz I know y'all like pictures :)

Started with the SLSes, here I've got sides and center braces already glued up and am glueing back on.

And a head-on view

More later as progress is made.

« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2012, 11:58 pm by Peter J »

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: X-SLS & X-CX Encore, AV-1RS Build
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2011, 05:16 am »
That'll be a nice rig. :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:22 am »
That will be a super gift.   I am not sure why Danny still has any x-ls kits at that price.

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2011, 01:38 pm »
Wow, are you looking to adopt  :green:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2011, 04:41 pm »
That will be a super gift.   I am not sure why Danny still has any x-ls kits at that price.

Did I say it was a gift?  :wink:  They have three young boys and plenty on their plates so this is a family Christmas gift from my wife and I. There was a time when I made many gifts, but that faded. Now I hope to invoke that tradition once again.

Not a total surprise, I did run the idea by them to make sure that I wasn't building a pink elephant that they had to parade around when we visit.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2011, 04:42 pm »
Wow, are you looking to adopt  :green:

Hmmm, that depends.....

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2011, 03:44 am »
More progress....

I'm prefitting crossover with front off to make life easier when I'm working through driver holes

Layout on X-CS

Ready for glue-up

Lotta clamps for such a small box

All braced up and ready for back, I prefit a pad for crossover there on top. Danny, I gotta say, this thing is a little tank!

More soon...

NeilT

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2011, 03:58 am »
Love it and thanks for the pictures.
You do great work.

Neil

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2011, 04:50 am »
Wow, what a nice job!

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2011, 10:51 pm »
Peter, Ive been watching this build and i think your coming along great with it! Good to see your useing your bisquits on this, I think alot of people over look just how usefull and strong bisquits are and can be utillized in building speakers. Keep going man, were ready for the next phase. R.K.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2011, 01:29 am »
Peter, Ive been watching this build and i think your coming along great with it! Good to see your useing your bisquits on this, I think alot of people over look just how usefull and strong bisquits are and can be utillized in building speakers. Keep going man, were ready for the next phase. R.K.

Funny story about biscuits and me Randall. First cabinet shop job I had (1974), I discovered a box stuffed under a bench labeled Lamello Minnillo. Clueless as to what it was, I asked my boss about it. He showed me how it worked and I was hooked...despite the goofy name.

At the time Lamello was the only company making them and they were spendy...way beyond my means at the time. It wasn't until many years later that other manufacturers jumped in and I bought the newly introduced Dewalt copy, the hot ticket at the time. I was elated, but secretly would like to own a Lamello. You know how it is, there's nothing like the first time!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2011, 01:46 am »
Pressing on while I've got a little time...

And now a little quiz; what is this and what's it for?

Cut the port and binding post cup holes on back

Stuffing bottom half of SLS to save me doing it all through the driver cutouts, will still need to stick pieces on backside of front baffle after assembly

Here I taped a temporary cover on brace so I don't fill the bottom with swarf when I cut driver holes after baffle goes on. Feeding my OC tendencies here, something about sawdust on my No Rez...

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2011, 02:08 am »
hmm...

How about a boat drain for a sand compartment?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2011, 02:32 am »
hmm...

How about a boat drain for a sand compartment?

Ding, ding, ding! You got it.
 I'll be shipping to Michigan and figured they could fill them with sand or not, but really didn't want to pay to ship sand. Might be a good ballast system too, I bet they get crashed into a few times in their life...grandsons are rambunctious!

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:07 am »
Peter, I dont own one but would love to have one. As far as Im concerned there is no other bisquit joiner maker that can compare to the lamello. I have the dewalt and have used the porter cable both are about the same as far as accuracy and reliability but when going head to head w/ the lamello..... it makes them both look like toys. A friend of mine has a lamello and Ive been trying to buy it off of him for yrs. I just cant seem to bring myself to spend $800 plus to get the setup I want. So for now the dewalt will have to do. R.K.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2011, 04:43 am »
Some progress today, getting close to veneering.

Center and rears sanded and ready for veneer

Block bottom corners of SLS for strength

Glueing on Baltic Birch plate so there's some meat for spike inserts

And here's the finished bottom

Bizarroterl

« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2011, 06:35 pm »
I was enthralled with the concept when biscuit joiners came out.  I've have a Lamello junior for many years now.    Solid workhorse that just keeps going and going.

gijogeo

« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2011, 08:37 am »

Here I taped a temporary cover on brace so I don't fill the bottom with swarf when I cut driver holes after baffle goes on. Feeding my OC tendencies here, something about sawdust on my No Rez...

Hi Peter
Noob question.
From what I understood from the above post, is there a particular benefit of having the driver cut outs done after cabinet assembly?

Just trying to understand bits and pieces of building a tower speaker before I take the plunge.

Thanks
Gijo

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:10 pm »
Hi Peter
Noob question.
From what I understood from the above post, is there a particular benefit of having the driver cut outs done after cabinet assembly?

Just trying to understand bits and pieces of building a tower speaker before I take the plunge.

Thanks
Gijo

Gijo, a couple of benefits in this particular case. I'm using a vacuum bag to apply some of the veneer and it stretches the heck out of the bag as it trys to conform to a big hole...smaller ones not so much. 

The other reason is getting the depth of the tweeter flange flush with cabinet, and in this case the binding post cup. If I cut holes after veneer, no guessing as to the thickness the veneer is adding to the recess.

I've done it other ways with success, as have others. I try and think the process through before I start...hate having those coulda, woulda, shoulda moments.

Stay tuned, it will become clearer as I progress.

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:46 pm »
Don't forget to put at least a 3/8" radius on the back side of the woofer holes. This is very important.