Your daily driver :)

kgturner

Re: Your daily driver :)
« Reply #20 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:54 am »
my daily (and only) car is a 1999.5 VW Jetta GLS. It's got 229,000 miles on it and there's more little things wrong with it than i can list, but the engine cranks up every morning and the transmission still shifts. i haven't had a car note since 2005 and the insurance on it is under $250 a year. sorry for not having pictures of it, but i've never felt the car was worth taking a picture of...

kevin t

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:29 am »
i have had a thing for pantera's ever since i saw my first one at an auto show in 1972, at the tender age of 16.  even then, i knew i'd own one someday - as it had a ford v8 in it, i knew it would never reach the stratospheric prices of other desirable hand-built italian exotics.  you can find nice drivers for ~$30k or so; completely refurb'd examples usually start at ~$40k and go up from there, depending on how crazy the owner went, in the restoration process.  some panteras are truly over the top, performance wise, and cosmetically.

sorry about the off-topic diwersion - most panteras are not daily rides.  but, i do know a pantera owner who lives in fredneck md, local to me; he does use his as a daily ride; his car is absolutely beautiful; i wish mine was as nice...

he can be seen w/his car here - he's furthest to the left in the pic, w/his car in front of him:

a better pic of his car:

now, to get a bit back on topic, if i can conwince myself to buy a new car, (i have never done so; i have only bought used), i will be sorely tempted, as soon as these start selling in the usa in the next few months:
(scroll down for article) http://fiat500usa.blogspot.com/2009/01/introducing-new-fiat-500abarth.html

i'd give my '04 scion xb to my wife, (truth be known, this box is as much fun to drive as my alfa gtv6), and i would give her '04 honda civic, (which is one of the most boring rides i have ever experienced), to my son, who turns 16 this year.  hmmm...   8)

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:40 am »
I like the license plate on that Pantera Doug..... 3RD MTG (Third Mortgage)... :lol:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2011, 09:38 am »

now, to get a bit back on topic, if i can conwince myself to buy a new car, (i have never done so; i have only bought used), i will be sorely tempted, as soon as these start selling in the usa in the next few months:

i'd give my '04 scion xb to my wife, (truth be known, this box is as much fun to drive as my alfa gtv6), and i would give her '04 honda civic, (which is one of the most boring rides i have ever experienced), to my son, who turns 16 this year.  hmmm...   8)
doug s.

Do you really think they'll import tha Abarth doug ? They were hard enough to find back in the day. ('60s & '70s). From my experience with a '73 128 coupe you should really buy 2 so you have parts to keep one running. Primary daily driver '94 Nissan PU (86K mi), 2ndary '97 Ford F-250 SD diesel (102K), with the occasional run in my '83 Subaru GL wagon, 206K miles (all mine). Engine has never been cracked, and still has original muffler !

Nice that you painted the Alfa, as all true Italian perfomance vehicles should be red.  :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2011, 10:15 am »
Do you really think they'll import tha Abarth doug ? They were hard enough to find back in the day. ('60s & '70s). From my experience with a '73 128 coupe you should really buy 2 so you have parts to keep one running. Primary daily driver '94 Nissan PU (86K mi), 2ndary '97 Ford F-250 SD diesel (102K), with the occasional run in my '83 Subaru GL wagon, 206K miles (all mine). Engine has never been cracked, and still has original muffler !

Nice that you painted the Alfa, as all true Italian perfomance vehicles should be red.  :thumb:
yes, i do think the abarth will be imported, tho mebbe not right away.  and, it may have a few ponies less than the euro-spec model.  regarding reliability, i think these have come a long way since your early 70's 128; tho i don't think any euro car will be as reliable as cars out of asia.  i beat the crap out of my black gtv6 for 10 years and 200k, and it was wery reliable, certainly more so than the bmw's a bud of mine drove during the same time period.  yes, it needed more standard maintenance than a japanese car, but it was not bad at all.  i didn't repaint it - 10 years of torture meant it had little niggling issues, that combined w/serious rust issues, meant it was less expensive for me to simply find another cherry rust-free example to act as a donor for all the hi-po goodies that i had put on mine.   :green:  as parts are becoming scarcer, and i don't want to destroy this one, i decided not to use it as a daily driver any more.  (the pantera, btw, is as easy, or easier, to find parts for as any ford chevy toyota or honda you could think of - the aftermarket support of this car, w/only ~5000 ever produced, is amazing.)

doug s.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2011, 11:19 am »
yes, i do think the abarth will be imported, tho mebbe not right away.  and, it may have a few ponies less than the euro-spec model.  regarding reliability, i think these have come a long way since your early 70's 128; tho i don't think any euro car will be as reliable as cars out of asia.  i beat the crap out of my black gtv6 for 10 years and 200k, and it was wery reliable, certainly more so than the bmw's a bud of mine drove during the same time period.  yes, it needed more standard maintenance than a japanese car, but it was not bad at all.  i didn't repaint it - 10 years of torture meant it had little niggling issues, that combined w/serious rust issues, meant it was less expensive for me to simply find another cherry rust-free example to act as a donor for all the hi-po goodies that i had put on mine.   :green:  as parts are becoming scarcer, and i don't want to destroy this one, i decided not to use it as a daily driver any more.  (the pantera, btw, is as easy, or easier, to find parts for as any ford chevy toyota or honda you could think of - the aftermarket support of this car, w/only ~5000 ever produced, is amazing.)

doug s.

It's a nice looking sleeper, harkens back to the old days in many respects. They were giant killers in their class at the track (NSUs as well). If they set up a service/support system they might just grab a corner of the market. I had my 128 for almost exactly 1 year to the day, before I sold it. Of the 12 months I think I actually got to drive it maybe 6. It was a little screamer, but just wouldn't quit breaking down. Nice thing was the dealer let me have loaners, so got to drive a nice GTV, and 124 convertible while in for repairs.  8) JD  and back to the thread..........

motorcitym3

« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm »
Stock e46 M3 ('06). Can't wait to take the snows off.

Nice ride...I just sold mine due to the weather here in Detroit.

This is my new daily driver.

enjoythemusic

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2011, 02:29 pm »
Two thumbs up Steve.  :thumb: :thumb: And is that your house in the background with the Colonial front? I love the 4 column Colonial look.

A most humble thanks, she really is a great car for pretty much anything on PUBLIC roads, yet a fat pig for tracking of course so won't do that. Sold the F2000 open wheel racecar a few years back yet may rent one for an SCCA racing event or three in 2011. As for the home, that is my neighbor's place as i live in a very historic section of this very old (for the USA) town. Not sure if you guys know, i have a psudo 'sister site' at www.EnjoyTheTrack.com with videos of my tracing the Ferrari in my early days and the F2000 during SCCA events.

DOUG, get that Pantera on the road!!! Also, the Abarth is said ot be a great car, so go for it!!!!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2011, 08:35 pm »
Had a SAAB 9-3 for 11 years and she (Helga) needed replacing.....but the fruit don't fall far from the tree I guess and she's been replaced by Ursula, a SAAB 9-3 (SportCombi / Wagon, in AERO trim)  :)

She now has a complete set of Bilstein dampers front and rear, 3pt. undercarriage brace, and K&N replacement filter. No need for more - she's just what I want now.

I test drove 5-door models from Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Mini, Chevrolet (HHR), VW, Lexus and Mercedes...this one had my name written all over it.  I think BMW/Mini has screwed the pooch for ride quality with those crashy feeling run-flats as standard.

I've already forewarned the wife about my coming mid-life crisis...the new FIAT 500 (Sport).

I don't need the 30 extra ponies of the Abarth...the Multi-Air 100HP engine on the 2500lb Sport model for $17,500 base for the snicky little 5 speed is the ticket for me.  The most fun I ever had driving was a 1991 VW GTI - a 2500lb hatchback with a 5 speed.  I think it cost more 18 years ago, too; so the value seems to be there for the FIAT 500 Sport

It's made in Mexico...but I'll get over it (so was my GTI and it was fun and fine)
http://fiat500usa.blogspot.com/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 4 Mar 2011, 09:39 pm »
I enjoyed my old Saab 99 (last of the leaded gas burners from 1979) when I replaced the stock tires with really nice Dunlops.

Those cars were amazingly huge on the inside, well built, and of course quirky.  I had to spend $65 for a replacement panel for the under dash (back when driver and front passenger could play footsie) so there'd be some place to install a radio.   :lol:

jeffh

« Reply #30 on: 12 Mar 2011, 03:17 am »

Here's mine.  2006 Chevy Silverado

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #31 on: 13 Mar 2011, 09:54 pm »
Mine is a 2007 Accord Coupe V6. I'm the second owner, it had under 25K miles when I bought it in October. The photo isn't of mine, but it looks the same.

Delta Wave

« Reply #32 on: 22 Mar 2011, 10:14 pm »
Here's mine.  :D

My summer ride anyway, the winter ride is an 04' Audi A4 Quattro wagon.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #33 on: 22 Mar 2011, 10:19 pm »
My summer DD. I won't bother to post the winter DD  :oops:

or this......

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #34 on: 4 Apr 2011, 01:36 am »
Was 85 degrees today (30C), so I thought I'd take the opportunity to wash the little lady's hotrod. Admittedly, I got a bit carried away shooting pictures, but since it was clean, I figured why not.  :lol:
High noon on a bright sunny day wasn't the best time of day to be taking pictures, so they're a bit washed out.

Hers is a (newly washed) all wheel drive 2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS with a 6.0liter.  8) Vroom vroom, rumble rumble.

Mine, (dirty) awd/4x4 2002 GMC Yukon XL 5.3 liter.

« Last Edit: 4 May 2011, 01:46 pm by Bob in St. Louis »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #35 on: 10 Jun 2011, 07:39 am »
ML500, Special Edition..

« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2011, 09:22 am by bladesmith »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:17 am »

My stang is getting on in years but still turns a few heads. Down south we're topless year round.

milford3

« Reply #37 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:48 am »

My baby.  2005 PT ragtop.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #38 on: 10 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm »
Gotta put up pics...my DD is an '07 Saab Aero 2.8T.  The more I drive it the more I like it.  Nice clean lines, and great handling for a FWD.
Hibuck....

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jun 2011, 01:20 pm »

2008 Grand Prix GXP, all aluminum small block LS4 V8.  :D

The GTP on the right is gone, but I still have the 97' GTP for a toy.  :P