Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?

stlrman

Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?
« on: 18 Mar 2015, 11:52 am »
Is this going to be a nightmare with expensive repair costs?
For a city car , tons of potholes, worried about popping the expensive run flats.
Is it ok in snow? 328xi with 80k
Thoughts ?
Thanks!
Todd
I test drove a 2010 on a sick curvy road , wow !!!! Fun as hell!!

kingdeezie

Re: Older BMW 3 series /mistake?/thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm »
My buddy had the same car. He loved it for about a year, and then, hated it. The run flats were the bane of his existence.

Driving in similar conditions as you describe, he was having to replace the tires quite often, and they are not cheap.

You can put other tires on the car however, there is just no where to put a spare, so if you get a flat tire, you are SOL.

I think outside of the tire issue, the cost of repairs with 80K on the car are going to be severe once things start to go down hill.

They are fun to drive though. You'll have to weight the pros and cons.

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:36 pm »
Thanks KingD!!
I am also looking at an X3 SUV . Anyone have experience with the X3?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm »
Always been wary of the expensive car brands. Had an Audi for awhile and I absolutely loved it. Decided that I would keep it until the Warranty started to run out, then trade it in towards a cheaper car. I remember going to the dealer one time to pick it up after having routine service/oil change and the car wasn't quite ready, so I had some time to kill. I walked the Used car portion of the lot (Dealer carried Audi, Mercedes and Porsche among it's inventory). I saw a Mercedes AMG CLS 55 that was only a few years old (but probably out of warranty) and ridiculously cheap. The wheels started churning in my head.

Then I thought about how much it would cost for various things. Just the tires would set me back a good chunk of change. The thought of a major system failing and needing to be repaired/replaced have me an instant headache.

The price of parts for these cars and finding a good mechanic to maintain it was just too much of a concern for me.

A blast while I had it, though.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm »
I had a 3 series hatch back in the late 90's.  It was the 318Ti.  Super fun in the corners, and great on fuel etc.

Loved it until it started to eat coil on plugs.  Then it ate its electronic brain.  3K later in one month of repairs (around 100K miles on it at the time) I sold it promptly.

I know guys that have a tremendous long term experience with BMW cars, but my own was mixed.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2015, 01:20 pm »
My clan has had a number of 3- and 5-series cars over the years.  We usually BUY them at 100k miles and drive them until the wheels fall off at 250K+.  Only large repair was a $3k head gasket and it STILL ran another 100k after that

My "new" 525i is a 2003 that i've had for 10 years.  New alternator and battery last year at 100K.  NO other repairs besides that.  Though the 2005 and after series  seem to have newer tech and newer problems.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2015, 02:00 pm »
Mechanically, I think BMW, Mercedes, etc are solid. It's all the other little things you may have to deal with that can make ownership not very fun. Their efforts to stay on the leading edge of technology is a double edged sword. My buddy's wife had a 2009 328i with 6 speed and sport package. Fun little car for sure. But they got rid of it because any little repair was at least several hundred dollars. It wasn't that they couldn't afford it, it was just a pain. One repair was to one of the horribly designed and placed cup holders. To replace it was something like $250! :duh: Doesn't seem like much, but we're talking about a plastic cup holder here. They were always dealing with things like that.
If you go the route of BMW, Mercedes, etc, just be prepared. Note, I think issues can be entirely hit or miss, which makes things more complicated. It's a coin toss.

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2015, 02:47 pm »
Though the 2005 and after series  seem to have newer tech and newer problems.

My famiily has driven many BMW's over the years, and it's absolutely true the more recent models have newer problems, a lot of it related to the over-engineered electronics and computer system.  The engines and mechanics are superb, but for some reason BMW engineers have decided they wanted to be Steve Jobs  :scratch:

There is no way I would ever purchase a BMW nowadays.  The way to enjoy their fabulous engine and handling is to to find a good lease deal, enjoy it under warranty, then return it prompty when lease/warranty runs out.

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:07 pm »
I have a 2004 X3, which I like. I bought it used several years ago with 48k miles on and it now has 73k (I obviously don't do a lot of driving). It runs beautifully and I've only had one malfunction, with the AC. Some seals have had to be changed because of age. And yes, the work has been costly, not so much because of parts but because to get to one thing three other things have to be removed. This is something of a problem with all modern cars because of their complexity.

The way to go with a BMW (or Audi, Mercedes, etc.) is to buy a certified pre-owned model which will come with a good warranty and, perhaps, to extend it if you plan on keeping the car a long time.

viggen

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:09 pm »
i am on my third bmw and my wife has one.  we bought all of ours pre-owned.  i am lucky that i go to a very good and reasonable indie mechanic that fixes things right the first time.  so, my cost of ownership has been minimal except for the fact that my Z4 got hit like 10 times during my 2 yrs of ownership. 

oil changes are more expensive than japanese cars i used to own.  other than that, cost of ownership is comparable if not lower.  but, this is thanks to that mechanic.

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:15 pm »
Check this site out for loads of info on BMWs:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/

benguin

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:28 pm »
The BMW forums and the BMWCCA (BMW Car Club of America- source of the best monthly club publication I've ever known) are invaluable resources for support of any BMW owner.  Great resources for troubleshooting, maintenance, parts availability, advice and sympathizing for the big repairs.  Plenty of sub-forums for the specific models.

The newer BMWs have continued to evolve in mechanical and technical complexity.  Some of them are not for the faint of heart to own out of warranty.  That said, some of the prior generations are very stout and actually a lot of fun to work on, for the mechanically inclined.
  - Ben

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:44 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the great input!! :thumb:
There us a 2007 3 series that had been in an accident. Everything was fixed perfectly.
Only 43 thousand miles. 13 grand $$.   Stay away???
  Also looking at a 2006 3 wagon with 86,000 miles on it .  More space , same great or close to same 3 series ride. 12 grand
Thoughts ...? Thanks

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:56 pm »
Seems high on both, but then again, I'm cheap. :?

How bad was the wreck? 

sandbagger

« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:57 pm »
99 M3 that I picked up at 70 and now has 180K miles on it
2005 X5 130K now has 160K on it.

I do all my own mechanical work, parts online are way way cheaper than at the dealer and about the same as any other vehicle.  And they are the same brand as the dealer

If you dont do your own work find a good indy BMW shop, they are generally better than the dealer and A LOT cheaper

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:17 pm »
Over the last 5 years I have had a 2011 335xi (new via a lease) and 2009 M3 (purchased used).

While neither is probably viewed as an "older" model, I can say that my experience with both has been extremely positive.

I bought my M3 from a seller on one of the more active BMW forums (http://www.e90post.com/forums/) and the car was in practically new shape with low miles!  The owner had all maintenance records and because of that, I wasn't afraid to purchase used without a warranty.

Owning any German car is not an inexpensive proposition.  But if you can find a good independent mechanic (again, the forums are a great place to find somebody and get feedback), the costs are significantly lower than what dealers charge.

Depending on the year and make, the forums have tons of info on common and know challenges/issues.  You can leverage this info to narrow down potential purchases or to bake into your cost of ownership.

Lastly...I TRULY ENJOY both cars and don't have a single regret with either.

George

stlrman

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:31 pm »
George , that photo , car is sick!!! :thumb:
Front end damage, sales guy had it up on lift , could not find where damage was.
Going to see the wagon today .
I found 5star local Beemer auto shop

stlrman

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2015, 06:26 pm »
I'm looking at KBB , does suggested retail mean anything??? Dealers are way higher !!!

pehare

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:16 pm »
I drove & loved BMW cars/motorcycle (82 325is, 87 535is, 95 R100RT) in the early 80's thru 2013 putting huge miles on each - all earlier machines than are being discussed here.  I always had a great independent mechanic for the bike & cars but even then it was BMW (bring my wallet) on the rare occasion trouble occurred.  Those same mechanics complain today of the unreliability of the newer machines & adamantly say stay away unless you have deep pockets or lease/trade before trouble starts.

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:28 pm »
 :lol: BMW = Bring My Wallet
Never heard that one before. :thumb: