An Ariel Atom ride with Eddie Hill

SoCalWJS

Re: An Ariel Atom ride with Eddie Hill
« Reply #40 on: 19 Aug 2012, 04:42 pm »
i would choose the rwd over awd every time.  the only time i would choose awd is if the only other choice is fwd.  unless you are driving in rain or snow, (unlikely w/the atom), awd's added weight, added driveline losses, and added mechanical complexity offers no positives over rwd, only negatives.  mebbe when f1 starts using awd, i will reconsider...   8)

doug s.
Yeah, the Nissan GTR just isn't very good at anything (nor the Sti, Evo, etc - not to mention when the Audi Quattro came to the Rally Car world and changed everything forever :thumb:)

Definitely adds weight, but they are pretty reliable these days, and I think the added horsepower of those engines would offset most of the horsepower to weight ratio issues.

Never really looked at the current F1 regulations - doubt AWD is even permitted.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 19 Aug 2012, 07:29 pm »
....but I also thought "What if you took the same basic concept/frame, and mated it to a Subaru STi/Mitsubishi Evo engine/transmission, and turned it into an all-wheel drive?"  :icon_twisted:

Like this:   :D

Any vehicle like the Atom, Noble, Rossion or above is registered typically as a "kit" car and often referred to as a component car.  Easily done in the USA but it takes just a little bit of effort with your local DMV. 

TrungT

« Reply #42 on: 19 Aug 2012, 08:42 pm »
Look like JT going to have another tour   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
 :wink:

persisting1

« Reply #43 on: 19 Aug 2012, 08:55 pm »
It is several years old and I did not buy it new. I have had it about 10 months now.

It sure looks like a lot of fun. How many pairs of Super Vs can you fit in it?  :lol:  Wink2 :green:

gooberdude

« Reply #44 on: 19 Aug 2012, 08:58 pm »
That's the same engine as in my car, but it's not my car darn it!   

Looks to be missing the alternator & power steering pump...and maybe even the turbo.  I had to buy a new engine recently & had upgraded internals put in suitable for light track use.  My WRX is a mean mutha these days.  Can't imagine the power that the cars on this thread create.

Lots of power + minimal weight =  :thumb:

To date I've seen on TV or read about Atom's with several difft engines: Honda, an Ecotech 4 cylinder and a big v-8 version.   Doubt it would be tough to get a boosted Boxer engine to work.   

I wonder how often Atom drivers eat bugs... 

persisting1

« Reply #45 on: 19 Aug 2012, 09:14 pm »
I wonder how often Atom drivers eat bugs...

That's the beauty of the Atom. You save money on never having to buy lunch. You eat enough protein while driving. 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #46 on: 19 Aug 2012, 09:26 pm »
You should see if he likes those yellow Super V's.   :wink:

Hey guys, Eddie hasn't been to my place for indoctrination into high end audio. So you probably won't get much out of him on that subject.

And Eddie, what this guy just asked you about here:

To heck with the cars, is Eddie analogue or digital, tube or SS, DBT or ?    :lol:

Was basically the audio equivalent of asking you if you were a Ford or a Chevy guy.  :lol:  There is a good humored bunch of guys over here for sure.

And there is a fair amount of serious car guys here on AC too. Some more than you'd think. jwrace, for instance, works in the NASCAR industry. Gary Dodd (Dodd Audio) worked for Raymond Beadle back in his hay day.

Oddly, I also noticed that posting the review of the Atom on the Audio circle has gotten well over twice as many views as the same review posted on the Corvette Forum.

And for those of you who my not immediately recognize who Eddie Hill is or all that he has done. Then go here and see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Hill
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2012, 10:32 pm by Danny Richie »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #47 on: 19 Aug 2012, 09:36 pm »
Hey guys, Eddie hasn't been to my place for indoctrination into high end audio.
I'm waiting  ...... patiently.  :wink:

gprro

« Reply #48 on: 19 Aug 2012, 10:36 pm »

To date I've seen on TV or read about Atom's with several difft engines: Honda, an Ecotech 4 cylinder and a big v-8 version.   Doubt it would be tough to get a boosted Boxer engine to work.   

the v8 is crazy, I think it's actually a couple super bike engines strapped together. Full race transmission, paddle shifted. Was browsing the atom forum, looks like there's only a few in Europe maybe.

SoCal, from what I read over there, there's at least 10-12 in th bay area and a few in LA. Buying a used cal registered one is the way to go if they ever come up for sale, the older ones are carb exemp it sounds like. New ones  have to be registered as 1 of 500 special vehicles per year, kind of like a lotery. There's a guy over there with a 700 hp twin charged one, looks really nice too, differnt aero kit.

gprro

« Reply #49 on: 19 Aug 2012, 11:04 pm »
This is becoming the gear head thread for AC I guess, this looks amazing...first half is the atom v8, gets a little squirly at 150ish, must have really short gears too. Ultimate drive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jvHqB4ZxbU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 19 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm »
There are a few videos of two Atom's "on track", on Eddie's website.
Just in case your drool factor needs to be raised.

Bob

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #51 on: 20 Aug 2012, 03:09 pm »
Hey Eddie,

I have a question for you.

I was watching the Lucas Oil Nations last night and wondered if you still watch all of the national events or if since your retirement if you seldom watch it at all?

Berndt

« Reply #52 on: 20 Aug 2012, 05:16 pm »

SoCalWJS

« Reply #53 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:10 am »
Hey Eddie,

I was watching the Lucas Oil Nations last night and wondered if you still watch all of the national events or if since your retirement if you seldom watch it at all?
Awright Danny....

You're obviously an enthusiast, so......
I see you have a Vette - and you know Hill's history, but the Ariel is definitely more of a cornering car...
You into F1 at all? I ask because you are reasonably close to the event. Are you going to make an effort to go to the inaugural F1 race at Circuit of the America's outside of Austin? Was thinking about it and talking about it today, but those tickets.....  What a pain in the a$$! Can't believe the prices :o

Still, would love to at least experience an F1 event at some point. Maybe I can figure out a way to catch one in Europe when I'm taking that mythical vacation in a couple of years  :lol:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #54 on: 21 Aug 2012, 02:38 pm »
Awright Danny....

You're obviously an enthusiast, so......
I see you have a Vette - and you know Hill's history, but the Ariel is definitely more of a cornering car...
You into F1 at all? I ask because you are reasonably close to the event. Are you going to make an effort to go to the inaugural F1 race at Circuit of the America's outside of Austin? Was thinking about it and talking about it today, but those tickets.....  What a pain in the a$$! Can't believe the prices :o

Still, would love to at least experience an F1 event at some point. Maybe I can figure out a way to catch one in Europe when I'm taking that mythical vacation in a couple of years  :lol:

I watched some F1 racing on TV but never was that involved with it. I grew up drag racing and around a group of guys in this area that drag raced all the time.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #55 on: 21 Aug 2012, 06:58 pm »
I just saw this thread :green:  THE Eddie Hill???  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
Audio on the back burner.  Let's talk cars :thumb:
I grew up in Abilene and went to Abilene Dragway every weekend in season.  That was Texas' first 200 mph drag strip.
I got a group of 11 fellow Hyundai Genesis Coupe guys together to attend this month's Austin Cars & Coffee meet:   http://www.gencoupe.com/texas/104121-austin-meet-6.html
And, I work at 3M and our car, #16, driven by Greg Biffle, won our second NASCAR Sprint Series race last weekend and we're back as #1 points leader :thumb:
A little tongue-in-cheek re the downside of winning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTMXjKNb_I&list=UUMVFIOgsmoUZ-WpR2UuJm3Q&index=1&feature=plcp

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 21 Aug 2012, 07:44 pm »
I just saw this thread :green:  THE Eddie Hill???  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

:rotflmao: That was my reaction to!

FourFather

« Reply #57 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:32 pm »
Hey Eddie,

Hi, Danny,

No, we really enjoyed winning, and trying to win, in both top fuel cars and boats, and to date I'm the only one that has ever been blessed with holding the speed and elapsed time records, and winning the yearly championship in both.   :thumb:

But I have never enjoyed watching someone else run, and have never watched a boat or a car race.  I have, very rarely, watched a replay of a particular run, if I thought there was someting to learn about tune-up or setup, but I have watched more of my own run replays, than everyone else's runs combined.

I just don't have much aptitude or talent for spectating   :oops:

Eddie :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:40 pm »
But I have never enjoyed watching someone else run, and have never watched a boat or a car race.
Interesting. Does that even include race series that you don't participate in?

Bob

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #59 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:51 pm »
Hi, Danny,

No, we really enjoyed winning, and trying to win, in both top fuel cars and boats, and to date I'm the only one that has ever been blessed with holding the speed and elapsed time records, and winning the yearly championship in both.   :thumb:

But I have never enjoyed watching someone else run, and have never watched a boat or a car race.  I have, very rarely, watched a replay of a particular run, if I thought there was someting to learn about tune-up or setup, but I have watched more of my own run replays, than everyone else's runs combined.

I just don't have much aptitude or talent for spectating   :oops:

Eddie :D

I can understand that.

And you have been truly blessed, and will always be remembered for all that you have accomplished in life.

I still play soccer very competitively even at my age (46 years old) and there is a saying that I have held to about it. "You don't quit playing when you get old. You get old when you quit playing."

I think this applies to you as well. You clearly are still playing, and are having fun with your life. And you show no signs of getting old or at least allowing anyone to realize your true age. Good for you Eddie. Keep having fun my friend, and keep playing.

And thank you for dropping in here on Audio Circle and sharing a little piece of you with all of us.