Salk Veracity HT3 and HTC

pugs

« on: 14 Jul 2005, 03:06 am »
I didn't want to take over the other thread.  

Does anbody know how much each HT3 weighs?  What are the dimensions of the HTC?  Has anbody tried them with with Odyssey gear?

I'm going to order the HT3 and HTC as soon as I can decide on a veneer combo.  Jim is going to come up with some ideas for me.

I originally was going to get a set of Onix Rockets, but Jim's speakers just look too good.  They're over my budget, and I'll have to get surrounds later, but what the hell.  Budget smudget.  I agree with Jim when he said it might seem like a lot of money now, but in the long run it will be worth it.

I had a couple people at work look at the website.  Both were extremely impressed.  One is hating me, because now, he wants to buy the HTS set..

brj

Re: Salk Veracity HT3 and HTC
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2005, 12:36 pm »
Quote from: pugs
Does anbody know how much each HT3 weighs?  What are the dimensions of the HTC?  Has anbody tried them with with Odyssey gear?

I don't know about the Odyssey pairing, but in terms of dimensions...

HT3: 40" x 12" x 15" (height, width, depth, not including plinth), 105 lbs
HT1: 19" x 9" x 15" (height, width, depth)
HTC: 10" x 23" x 14" (height, wdith, depth)

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2005, 12:46 pm »
I have tried the HT1's with my Symphonic Line Kraft 400's....the Odyssey lineup is based on the Symphonic Line...and it sounded "engaging".

I think the speaker/amp combo match's VERY well.

pugs

Re: Salk Veracity HT3 and HTC
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2005, 03:19 am »
Quote from: brj
Quote from: pugs

I don't know about the Odyssey pairing, but in terms of dimensions...

HT3: 40" x 12" x 15" (height, width, depth, not including plinth), 105 lbs
HT1: 19" x 9" x 15" (height, width, depth)
HTC: 10" x 23" x 14" (height, wdith, depth)

That's good to know that the center is only 10" tall.  That will fit my stand nicely.

I didn't know what the definition of a plinth was, but I just checked it out.  It sounds like it's a totally seperate piece.  Do the plinths, spikes, and grills come standard with the HT3 and HTC?  I'm going to call Jim this weekend, but it's just nice discussing my future speakers.

Papajin

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2005, 11:14 pm »
I'm pretty sure the plinths in this case are actually attached to the bottom of the HT3's, but I'm not positive of that, so best confirm with Jim. :)

The plinths are an option, but they seem to come standard with the spikes.  It's possible the base speaker also comes with spikes even without the plinths though -- I only ever asked if they came with the plinths.

I'm unsure on the grill covers, but would guess they come with.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2005, 01:21 pm »
Just to clarify, plinths are simply the bases for the speakers and are standard with the spikes (which you can use or not use at your option).  The base price is for painted MDF plinths.  If you would like matching or contrasting wood plinths, you simply pay for the additional cost of the materials used.

As for grills, normally I only use grills on the woofers where the frequencies concerned are not an issue.  I do not personally prefer grills on the midrange or tweeter since I don't feel there is any such thing as "acoustically transparent" grill cloth.

That said, upon request, I will try to provide whatever grill arrangment is requested.  It is somewhat problematic doing the type of midarange/tweeter baffle I do on the HT3's and incorporate grills in the equation.

I like to use magnets to attach the grills.  That way there is no visible evidence when the grills are removed.  This is not a problem in the woofer area since the magnets can be embedded in the cabinet before the veneer is applied.

But with a solid wood baffle (or MDF for that matter), the magnets would have to be installed in the baffle before it is attached.  This means drilling in from behind and stopping very close to the front surface.  Any mistake and the baffle would be ruined and a new one would need to be created (costing time and materials).

For this reason, I normally recommend that if grills are required for all drivers, that the additional baffle for the midrange/tweeter be eliminated.  After all, this area of the cabinet is already 1 1/2" thick.

Will there be a difference in performance?  Yes, you could certainly measure the difference.  Will it be audible?  I have never been able to hear it.  And it is certainly far less problematic than the grills themselves.

One additional benefit of not using an additional baffle on the midrange and tweeter is cost.  There is no additional solid wood required as this area is veneered either way.  You simply end up with a flat front veneered panel.

I hope this makes sense.

- Jim