Western Electric 91e integrated amp

Yomaha

Western Electric 91e integrated amp
« on: 7 Jan 2022, 06:28 pm »
Western Electric is letting folks pre-order their new release. It's an integrated 300B.  They are claiming 20w x 2.  I got some of the new 300B's last year and they are quite good, but I don't know much about their amps or the actual folks designing/creating them.  Does any one know some background on this amp or have heard their amps?

https://www.westernelectric.com/91e

SET Man

Re: Western Electric 91e integrated amp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2022, 03:42 am »
Hey!

Well, this is interesting. I'm not a audio engineer, how the heck they managed to get 20 watts out of 300B. What's this "SCS" thing? Are they driving those tubes hard? Well, at lease they are honest and show the measurement at 20 watts.

Look great though, but I would prefer old school switches and knobs instead of electronic LCD. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter since I can't afford it anyway :icon_lol:

Buddy

DannyBadorine

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2022, 03:52 am »
It's only $13,500.........

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2022, 03:53 am »
Nice I will take two, just dont expect the 300B to lasts long.
Steered Current Source Technology (SCS)
The 91E uses Western Electric’s patented steered current source technology. The unique parallel feed topology contributes half of AC current to the plate (anode) of the 300B by modulating quiescent current. As a result, half of the power dissipation occurs in the tube, allowing for a greater output power of 20 watts per channel.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2022, 02:08 pm »
They're showing that as 20 watts with 10% distortion. They also aren't showing distortion figures by frequency. It's probably much higher than that in the low frequencies. You have to look at a SE 300b amp as a 10 watt amplifier and plan your speaker choices and listening expectations accordingly. 96db and higher efficiency speakers unless you only listen to chamber music. Maybe they'll introduce a push/pull version in the future? That's an honest doubling of the power output, plus they sell 2 pairs of 300b tubes!