Tekton's The Perfect SET Speaker

jimbo70

Re: Tekton's The Perfect SET Speaker
« Reply #60 on: 24 Nov 2019, 02:54 pm »
If anyone wants to hear this tweeter array let me know.  I use the Impact Monitors with a pair of Rythmik subs.  I’m in Charlotte, NC.

Very interested in your impressions of this setup.  I'm seriously considering ordering Impact Monitors and pairing with Rythmik subs.  For context any comparisons you can offer with other speakers you've owned or listened to would be much appreciated.  Also, my focus is on music listening, so HT isn't a factor for me.

Thanks in advance.

jtcf

« Reply #61 on: 24 Nov 2019, 07:21 pm »
I have Impact Monitors with 4 subs(the swarm setup).They are dynamic and will play loud with no distortion.They can reproduce micro dynamics and nuance very well -it depends on what you have upstream from them.I recently compared them head to head with a pair of Klipcsh Heresys which were a bit faster sounding with a similar midrange,but hashy on top and the upper bass was a tad less tight.
My room is 16x17,GIK room treatments,all tubed equipment -Tubadour dac,LTA MicroZotl 2 pre,Aric Audio Transcend 40watt amp,Audio Envy ics and pcs,Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval 8 spcs.
I like a live 'you are there' sound and I listen to mostly acoustic and electric rock and blues.
I hope this helps!

jimbo70

« Reply #62 on: 25 Nov 2019, 05:46 pm »
I have Impact Monitors with 4 subs(the swarm setup).They are dynamic and will play loud with no distortion.They can reproduce micro dynamics and nuance very well -it depends on what you have upstream from them.I recently compared them head to head with a pair of Klipcsh Heresys which were a bit faster sounding with a similar midrange,but hashy on top and the upper bass was a tad less tight.
My room is 16x17,GIK room treatments,all tubed equipment -Tubadour dac,LTA MicroZotl 2 pre,Aric Audio Transcend 40watt amp,Audio Envy ics and pcs,Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval 8 spcs.
I like a live 'you are there' sound and I listen to mostly acoustic and electric rock and blues.
I hope this helps!

Not sure if that was a response to my post, but very helpful.  I am quite interested in the live as if you're there sound, which is one of the aspects I've read about the Tektons that's appealing.  Also listen to a lot of acoustic music.  I currently have Gallo Stradas and subs, which have exquisite imaging and 3D soundstage.  But I go through phases of wanting to explore other options.  Thanks for the info.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #63 on: 1 Dec 2019, 03:22 pm »
Where can I find an explanation of how the 7 tweeter polygon arrays in their more expensive designs work? 

I admire Eric from his original speakers (Lore, etc.) but have never heard one and being a purist am leery of many of his later work (small vertical line tweeter arrays, 15 tweeter MTM arrays, even whizzer cones).

Bemopti123

« Reply #64 on: 1 Dec 2019, 04:18 pm »
Where can I find an explanation of how the 7 tweeter polygon arrays in their more expensive designs work? 

I admire Eric from his original speakers (Lore, etc.) but have never heard one and being a purist am leery of many of his later work (small vertical line tweeter arrays, 15 tweeter MTM arrays, even whizzer cones).

I think this might explain his approach a little bit more. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-impact-monitor-loudspeaker

I think with more driver units, the designs gain more sensitivity and more sound impact.  Not that most people could benefit from the upscaling of the sound.  I have very little to gain from such design as my listening quarters are rather small. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #65 on: 1 Dec 2019, 05:33 pm »

It is dissected on a thread at diyAudio. Estentially it is a 1 + 6 array with the 6 surrounding tweeters only coming in on the bottom. The spacing does require significantly compromising on the ideal quarter-wavelength of less centre-to-centre distance.

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #66 on: 2 Dec 2019, 11:08 am »
I think this might explain his approach a little bit more. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-impact-monitor-loudspeaker

I think with more driver units, the designs gain more sensitivity and more sound impact.  Not that most people could benefit from the upscaling of the sound.  I have very little to gain from such design as my listening quarters are rather small.

Thanks for the link.   :thumb:

As I thought, the array is 2-way, which as one could easily imagine struggles to cohere well near-field, and with the spread out mid/woofers has severe comb effects below 1,000 Hz.  And has bass interaction issues with nearby walls, so you say - not well suited for small spaces.  Have little tolerance for placement fussy speakers or ported designs that require stuffing.  Plus the cabinet has resonances.  And efficiency is very over-stated.  But they do seem to be impactful. 

The whole concept, of replacing a midrange driver with multiple tweeters seems odd.  The Tekton catalog reminds me of another vendor who keeps reusing the same drivers in a variety of "designs", smacks of fitting designs around a very small parts bin.  If your company lacks the resources to build drivers in-house (very few) and you aren't satisfied with off the shelf, the next best approach is to have top drawer driver manufacturers custom design/tweak drivers for you.  Ascend Acoustics is one such company that follows that approach. 

meurich10@yahoo.com

« Reply #67 on: 12 May 2023, 01:37 am »
in my search for a good higher sensitivity speaker I just order a set of Tekton Lore Reference I can't wait to hear them on my tube amps.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #68 on: 12 May 2023, 04:55 am »
Pretty ingenius whoever came up with the midrange tweeter array. Enjoyed the explanation here:  https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/help-understanding-tekton-tweeter-array-schematic.336743/#post-5764116

No experience with Tekton midrange tweeter array, but I have spent a few hours listening to their two way Lore. I purchased a used pair of Tekton Lore's as a gift for my daughter. Since they were used I paid $500 and was really happy with the sound per $ considering it is a full range speaker. Brought over with a receiver I had laying around and set up. When I visit playing vinyl impressed with the sound quality their modest setup provides.

Surpised at the cynism this thread has aroused. For a second I thought I was on the ASR forum, oops its even bringing out my snark :D. Hope this is an outlier as AC has been a great place.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #69 on: 12 May 2023, 08:19 am »
Over the years Eric Alexander has come up with some interesting SET friendly designs. These hybrid open baffles being one of them. The H-frames made good speaker stands as well as providing some needed bass support.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #70 on: 12 May 2023, 05:19 pm »
We betaed that design. It flopped. In that interaction i gained no respect for Alexander.

He has been successful. I do not like the huge spacing required for those tweeter and midrange arrays.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #71 on: 13 May 2023, 04:40 am »
It is beyond my comprehension why hi-fi brands dont use coaxial speakers like the excellent Morel or the Beyma.

ric

« Reply #72 on: 13 May 2023, 01:30 pm »
A number of months back, I picked up a used pair of Tekton electrons as a second system. I have been very happy with them, after proper placement, the bass is tight, the mids are very clear and top to bottom they sound great. I DO prefer my Spatial M3TS' since the 15" woofers do better justice than the 8" on the tektons, but they are no slouches.
The mids on the Tektons are fast and at times bright, but this problem was solved by replacing the 52(!) screws holding the drivers with brass screws. Some of you may balk at the screw replacement, but you use your ears and not your assumptions, you may hear a difference.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #73 on: 13 May 2023, 11:13 pm »
An early Tekton Fostex speaker before Eric switched to Eminence drivers. Efficient enough to be driven by a couple of single ended watts.