Blown away by the X-LS Encore Kit

warx

Blown away by the X-LS Encore Kit
« on: 11 Jan 2014, 05:48 pm »
After much research I pulled the trigger on some x-ls encores from Danny. He was so helpful with all my questions over the phone and via email. Thanks Danny!
I choose to upgrade the caps and add the no-res. They were assembled in the .5cuft parts express cabinets. A buddy of mine does vinyl wrapping and we wrapped these in white gloss to match the interior of my house. Ive paired the encores up with a Pro-Ject carbon and my refurbished Marantz 2270. To say I was blown away at the clarity and bass response of these speakers is a understatement. I could not have imagined that these small speakers could sound so good. I invited a couple musician friends I have and played  Tin Pan alley by SRV. The looks in there eyes were priceless  :lol:
Great speakers and even better customer service. Way to go GR!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

Re: Blown away by the X-LS Encore Kit
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2014, 09:47 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

The PE boxes work out pretty well for that kit. The grill design will disrupt the response quite a bit though. So you may have noticed they sound much better with the grills removed.

Nice job on the White. They look really good.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm »
I like the white too,  nice job   :thumb:

-jay

slosjo

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2014, 11:46 pm »
Wow that white looks nice.  Could you please elaborate on the process of applying the vinyl, and materials used?  I have been thinking about doing this as well.  If you have more photos that would be nice too.

Thanks

cody69

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2014, 12:06 am »
I like the nice clean look -- very nice.

Danny, please elaborate on which aspect of the grill design compromises sound quality so we can learn from this instance and avoid problems in the future.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2014, 12:32 am »
I like the nice clean look -- very nice.

Danny, please elaborate on which aspect of the grill design compromises sound quality so we can learn from this instance and avoid problems in the future.

The grill cloth itself has little effect on the sound. What really effects the response is the frame. The taller the frame the worse it is. And if the frame has a sharp inside edge then there is a considerable amount of edge diffraction from those edges. In this case there are also diagonal pieces across the corners. This causes even more disruption to the response.

A more ideal grill design will stay as far away from the drivers (especially the tweeter) as possible and have a rounded inside edge so that there is no right angle surface to the drivers. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2014, 12:40 am »
I've never seen white grill fabric that you could see the drivers behind.
That's just sexy. Very cool.

warx

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2014, 03:14 am »
Thanks for the comments fella's.

The vinyl wrap is a commercial vehicle wrap. It was very easy to apply. Using a blow dryer to stretch it around corners and very cool to watch. The film is called 3M Controltac. I just did a search and you can find it on eBay. Its very stretchy and works great. He cleaned the cabinets with Windex and applied it by using a small hard roller and plastic scrapper.

The grill cloth was purchased from P.E.

Interesting info on the grills Danny. Im thinking about using some 1/4" rod and bend a nice rectangle and then wrap with grill cloth and make the circumference larger then the current grills.