LS-C plug the ports?

sandbagger

LS-C plug the ports?
« on: 9 Jan 2014, 01:49 pm »
Danny

How bad is it going to be if I plug up the ports on the LS-C?

I know there is a design for a sealed cabinet but the LS6's I purchased came with a bare MDF cabinet built by Ruben.
I really dont have a ton of room to pull the center out away from my screen.  The 6's are closer than I would like but have got them sounding pretty dang good so far with little tweeking.

Danny Richie

Re: LS-C plug the ports?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2014, 03:52 pm »
Danny

How bad is it going to be if I plug up the ports on the LS-C?

I know there is a design for a sealed cabinet but the LS6's I purchased came with a bare MDF cabinet built by Ruben.
I really dont have a ton of room to pull the center out away from my screen.  The 6's are closer than I would like but have got them sounding pretty dang good so far with little tweeking.

You can experiment with plugging them and see what it does to your response. You could also tune them lower by making the ports longer. This would increase the output from the port in a lower range where the output is already 6db or more down.

sandbagger

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2014, 12:36 am »
Thanks Danny

No need to try and retune the ports, just looking to push it as close to the wall as I can.
would you seal the ports( foam port plugs) or just leave them open and push it toward the wall?   

Screen wall is 4" thick of sound insulation

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:14 pm »
Thanks Danny

No need to try and retune the ports, just looking to push it as close to the wall as I can.
would you seal the ports( foam port plugs) or just leave them open and push it toward the wall?   

Screen wall is 4" thick of sound insulation

Experiment.

ufokillerz

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:44 pm »
good to see you working on that LS-C ! i had that baby sitting around for months and never had the chance to think of how to work it.

sandbagger

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:50 pm »
I the cabinet off yesterday with Jim Salk

had to remove those resistors and move the jumper up to large room to make them sound like anything though, at first thought a few drivers were wired out of phase or something.

Thanks again for the speakers

good to see you working on that LS-C ! i had that baby sitting around for months and never had the chance to think of how to work it.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2014, 09:12 pm »
Sorry to drag this a little off topic, but if one were building a cabinet from scratch and wanted to go with a sealed design how much smaller should the cabinet be?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2014, 10:41 pm »
Sorry to drag this a little off topic, but if one were building a cabinet from scratch and wanted to go with a sealed design how much smaller should the cabinet be?

You can drop the depth about an inch or so. I would cut too much away though.

Skiman

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2014, 11:51 pm »
You can drop the depth about an inch or so. I would cut too much away though.

I think you mean "I would not cut too much away though".

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2014, 02:59 pm »
I think you mean "I would not cut too much away though".

Yep, sorry for the type'o.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:02 pm »
I was able to puzzle it out.  ;)

I was assuming that a sealed box should be smaller.  Would it be better to just use the regular size box and just build it without ports?  Or make it larger?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2014, 04:27 pm »
I was able to puzzle it out.  ;)

I was assuming that a sealed box should be smaller.  Would it be better to just use the regular size box and just build it without ports?  Or make it larger?

If I were building it sealed I would make it 1" shorter in the depth.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2014, 05:09 pm »
Thanks Danny!