Planetarium Gamma high-output satellites

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Planetarium Gamma high-output satellites
« on: 17 Dec 2009, 07:33 pm »
Earlier this year I thought I was about to go into production with the Planetarium Gamma, which would combine a small stand-mount monitor with the Sealed Swarm subwoofer system.   That project had to be re-directed when one of the drivers was discontinued and I couldn't find a suitable replacement, but the concept lived on and now I think it's time for me to post an update.

Realistically, that early-generation prototype Gamma module (I only built one)  left much of the output capability of the Sealed Swarm untapped, as it ran out of excursion long before the subs did.  That was the problem with a small monitor:  It was almost inevitably going to be dynamically challenged.  So I decided to return to my roots and look at using prosound drivers.  The cost would go up, but the result would be a much more flexible and capable system... and, by then I'd long since been spoiled by the relaxed liveliness of prosound drivers just loafing along in the living room. 

Within the last week I completed prototyping, and the Gamma main modules are in the pipeline.  They will be 21" tall by 11" wide by 15" deep, so they're kinda big for satellites, but will be capable of rather incredible output levels.  They can reach 110 dB with less than 1 dB of thermal compression, and do not reach their thermal or mechanical limits for another 10 dB or so.   If someone really wants a Super Swarm that can keep up with the Gamma main modules, that can of course be arranged.

I don't know of any other home audio speaker this size that has this much output capability, though of course it doesn't extend very deep (75 Hz ballpark).   

For right now I'm keeping quiet about the secret ingredients in the Gammas, but they have one more trick up their sleeve that will potentially make them competitive in a couple of markets that I haven't really gone after before: High-end home theater, and home-based recording studios.

For those with a dedicated mancave that happens to be a fairly small room, the Gamma system with its sealed Swarm and well-controlled directivity would be a very serious contender. 

Projected price is four grand ballpark for the complete system. 

« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2009, 12:23 am by Duke »

nullspace

Re: Planetarium Gamma high-output satellites
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2009, 07:51 pm »
Wow Duke. I lot of nice stuff coming out for AudioKinesis. Between this and the small-room floorstanders, and I never got around to commenting on those slick custom Planetarioum Alpha w/ the black oak finish. Nice job all around, and best of luck with the new products.

Regards,
John

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: Planetarium Gamma high-output satellites
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2009, 12:56 am »
Thanks, John!

Yeah the wheels turn slowly but they do turn.  I've been guilty of over-optimism on timeframes before, but at this point the crossovers are done (I think!) and once I have the enclosures it should just be a matter of assembly.

I have several other designs completed, but haven't decided which if any of them will go into production.   At it is I'll have a bipolar, a floorstander, and a stand-mount coming online in a couple of months, and that might be enough for now.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2010, 05:09 pm by Duke »