EJJordan Eikona based speakers

Russell Dawkins

Re: EJJordan Eikona based speakers
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2016, 07:27 am »

If you are a real fan of the Eikona drivers, you could use two drivers in a doubled size enclosure on each side of the soundstage.  If you aim one driver forward in the enclosure and aim the other driver backward with the drivers fed in-phase, you would have a bipolar radiation pattern.  Connect the two drivers in series for your 16 ohms preference. 
Jim

Thanks, Jim.
Since I tend to run solid state amplifiers, my preference is for 6-8Ω overall impedance; hence my wish for 12-16Ω drivers, so that paralleling them would yield 6-8Ω.

Ultimately, I would like to build two enclosures if I were to go with two drivers per side: one with the drivers stacked vertically and the other as you suggest; in a bipolar array, like the early 70s EPI Microtower, but perhaps with the drivers not so close to the top.

This configuration would also allow me to re-visit an effect I have not had the pleasure of repeating since around 1977 when I put a couple of 12" CTS drivers with an fs of around 21Hz back-to-back in a sealed box in a bi-symmetrical arrangement suggested by some English engineer writing in perhaps Studio Sound or HiFi News. He called it 'acoustic feedback', if I recall, and it had the supposed characteristic of the two drivers' resonances cancelling each other out. My immediate skepticism lasted only until I looked at the published impedance curve running through what should have been the resonant zone. It was flat ±1.5Ω right through the bass drivers' range.

Thus inspired, I built it and that is exactly how it sounded; like there was no resonance at all. This was the cleanest, least resonant bass I have ever heard, and it made reflex boxes, sealed boxes—even infinite baffles (I had a pair of 12s in the living room floor, backs to the basement) all sound laughably resonant.

Anyway, the Eikonas look to be custom made either for that configuration or as a small, elegant single driver box and would be fun to play with, even if a little expensive.

PS, I also like that two drivers per side would reduce the need for baffle step compensation and the bipolar configuration creates a more frequency-balanced room sound.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jun 2016, 12:14 pm »
Just found a shop in the Champaign IL that will soon be selling the Eikona:  http://www.glennpoors.com

I hope to make the trip this summer to get a good listen.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2016, 10:54 am »
With the recent passing of Ted Jordan not sure what the future of the Eikona driver is now.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2016, 10:59 am »
I didn't know that. Many of us owe him a debt of gratitude.

http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/ted-jordan-1929-2016/

My guess would be the Eikona driver(s) will continue as is.

EJJordanDesigns

• Industry Participant
  • Posts by Colin
    • E J Jordan Designs
« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2016, 04:19 pm »
With the recent passing of Ted Jordan not sure what the future of the Eikona driver is now.

Hi - A customer alerted me to this thread so I have joined Audiocircle in order to reply (in part - I hope to stick around).

First off, the Eikonas will be continuing. We have no immediate changes planned and want to reassure potential customers that the design and supply are both stable. Ted was aware of his illness for some months before his passing and took steps to ensure the long-term survival of his company (as outlined on our obituary of him).

With regard to the VTL design, it was originally developed for Konus Audio and then offered as a DIY design. It went through a careful development process, although Ted tended to rely on his own calculations and tests rather than computer simulations. One of the aspects not usually recognised is that the 'V' part of the name is for vented; the same cabinet exterior could be configured as either a vented enclosure or a coupled cavity transmission line.

Testing the Eikonas on the VTL showed that the TL worked fine with them with slightly extended bass compared to the JX92S. The vented version wouldn't work so well so it was dropped and no longer appears on the website.

The current MLTL designs on our site were produced for us by Mark Dikovics, who also produced some of the original JX92S MLTLs. They are designed specifically for the Eikona 2. Jim has also sent us his MLTL designs and we've had very good reports of the 30" version, one customer saying it was the ideal balance between size and bass extension.

Finally, our US seller Bruce Pea produces a finished VTL for customers and reports that so far it has proved the most popular with listeners. He's in Illinois so I'm sure would be willing to stage an audition - www.arsharmonia.com

Apologies for a long first post - I hope some of this if of interest. I look forward to joining the discussion.

Colin

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2016, 08:58 am »
After a recommendation from Mr. Dawkins
I drove about a hundred plus miles to hear these speakers against some scan speaks in the same room.

for me the Etonias where a big step up in sensitivity and grace, but i was equality hypnotized by the low end scan speaks as they played "Garcia" or Jeff Beck" as well as they played Beethoven's romance for Violin, which the etona's did not on the former.

But Mr. Dawkins was right on tho, they do have a grace, Mr. Jordan deserves no small praise, he made something very special, and there is no greater lasting tribute to a mans life work, then to leave grace behind him. but my life needs some hi end energy sometimes, under which circumstances the scan speak delivered, the Jordan's did not. 

i did leave the room with two loves, but i can not change speakers every time i want to live in another direction, but if one listens mostly to small chamber works, gentle symphonia and single instruments, the Etonias are almost surreal in their delivery, shivers is the word.

Ruby 

matevana

« Reply #26 on: 16 Dec 2016, 02:49 pm »
I'm going to do a write up on 'The DJinns" over the holiday break, and post in the Open Baffle circle. I am VERY impressed by the Eikonas in this design.