Hypothetical nOrh speaker choice...

JackStraw

« on: 14 Jan 2003, 03:04 am »
Ok, guys (and gals if you're out there)... this should be fun.

The Vandy's are up for sale (see trading post if you're interested), and I'm weighing options. I think that we're going to move to a smaller place ~this summer, so placement near walls is a MAJOR bonus. We're talking living room 2ch here.

Option 1. Mini 9.0
Option 2. Marble 3.0 with an Adire Rave SE sub (add second one later)

Personally, I like option 2 for speaker placement, getting real marble, the fact that I can break up the three purchases, and the fact that I'll get deep bass. Frankly, my wife is a bass freak (the Vandy's don't cut it). But, I recognize the fact that I'll give up quite a bit of detail. I haven't heard any nOrh speakers, so I'm looking for input.

So, whaddayathink? Thanks for the help.

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2003, 03:22 am »
I'm with Marbles.  The 3's are nice but will not play loud enough.  The Rava is a good choice.  Outside of DIY, you can't do better, IMO>

J

JackStraw

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2003, 12:47 pm »
Quote from: jackman
I'm with Marbles.  The 3's are nice but will not play loud enough.  The Rava is a good choice.  Outside of DIY, you can't do better, IMO>

J

Say it ain't so... I've seen MB say so many times that an SE9 / 3.0 system will put many high end systems to shame. 3.0 reviews by Tyson and Alex lo mein seemed to suggest that there's more there than might be expected. And, I'd have the adjustable crossover on the Rava SE working for me.

But, I suppose that the volume issue is the inspiration for the Pyramids. If I had more faith in wall and/or ceiling mounting those guys they'd be in the picture too I guess. I'm not as excited about the looks, though.

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2003, 02:19 pm »
I don't think anyone realized you were thinking about the SE-9 too.  I assumed from you options that you would keep the same amplification so I concurred with the 4.0's.

With any horn from nOrh you will have a rear port so keep that in mind.  Marbles has his 4.0's in a wall unit so maybe he can comment more, but I heard them briefly and was impressed.  That type placement is not ideal but they still sounded very nice.

JackStraw

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2003, 02:51 pm »
Sorry for the confusion, I'm not considering the SE9 at this point. I mentioned it because that's just 9w when I'm working with 100w. And, I value MB's opinion.

I'd like to get into a tube integrated or preamp later, but if I go integrated I will require preamp outputs and probably main amp inputs for sub integration.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Are there any other opinions out there?

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2003, 03:40 pm »
Quote from: JackStraw
Sorry for the confusion, I'm not considering the SE9 at this point. I mentioned it because that's just 9w when I'm working with 100w. And, I value MB's opinion.

I'd like to get into a tube integrated or preamp later, but if I go integrated I will require preamp outputs and probably main amp inputs for sub integration.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Are there any other opinions out there?

I have a feeling those two amps will sound very different.  The SE9 showing its tube magic with a higher efficiency speaker and/or single driver speaker.  The 100watter may do better with a lower efficiency speaker.  Of course this depends on listening volumes and room size too.

If you use a Rava SE you will not need the pre ins and outs on the amp if you use the crossover in the Rava.  That is the difference with the SE Rava...you have an adjustable high pass and low pass crossover to taylor the sub intergration with the mains (and room and placement).  Plus you get the little parametric eq with the SE Rava.

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2003, 04:46 pm »
The SE9 and the little TS3s from Omega are a great combo.  They are very efficient and play very loud with the Fostex drivers.  No crossover and an easy load for single ended amps.  Louis will have some at the Midwest Audiofest teamed up with some low powered tube amps.  Maybe we can do a shootout with the little 3's.  I had both and prefered the TS3's because of their ability to play much louder.  If you want something for low level listening, the 3's will do well.  

J

JackStraw

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2003, 04:54 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
If you use a Rava SE you will not need the pre ins and outs on the amp if you use the crossover in the Rava.  That is the difference with the SE Rava...you have an adjustable high pass and low pass crossover to taylor the sub intergration with the mains (and room and placement).  Plus you get the little parametric eq with the SE Rava.

This is a little off topic for the nOrh board, but I'm intrigued. I don't see a way to relieve the AMP of the low freq without the preamp outs and main ins. You can filter the signal leaving the amp and relieve the speakers, but not the amp.

Unless, this connection might work...

Source > AmpInput1 > AmpTapeOutput > Rava SE > AmpInput2

Record Input 1, Listen to Input 2.

Is that what you meant? Have I completely confused everybody?

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2003, 05:16 pm »
JackStraw, you are exactly right.  I don't know what the heck I was thinking about.  (note to self...use caution while working and posting at the same time)
You would need the preins and outs to offload the bass from the main speakers.  Sorry for the confusion.

PJ

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2003, 06:23 pm »
If it was me, i'd be going with the mini-9.0's.

Yes, less bass, but I would be suprised if the 3.0's came even remotely close in performance.

You can always add a sub further down the line.

Anthony C

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2003, 10:48 pm »
I'll admit I have not heard the 3.0's (but do own marble 7's,4's,CD1 and had the nOrh monos) but I cannot imagine them being comparable to your Vandersteens or the mini 9's (or 4's and 7's either) Something to remember is that no matter which nOrh speakers you choose you will need a sub at some point, probably sooner than later.
The marble 4's with the Rava would make a great combo.  With all i've heard about Vandy 2CE's though I'd think you would need 7's and subs to be noticeably better.
nOrh makes great speakers but if bass is important a sub is a must.

thayerg

norh 3.0s
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2003, 05:33 am »
I bought jackman's 3.0s. They are very lively, have more bass than they have any right to, and they do fill a small room very well with music. I have driven them with a number of different amps, including a 5W SET, the 8W tube Wave 8s, an ancient 20w Yamaha receiver, an NAD power amp, and a 100w/channel SS amp. They sound great with the tubes, in fact the 5w SET was magical. But even though they are rated for only 20w they also wake up and say hello with 70 or more solid state watts. I'd pick that over the Wave 8s, because it is more dynamic and has more and cleaner bass. I really wanted the Yamaha receiver to work, and it does sound fine, but the speakers do like more.

Boxes and passive crossovers are so, like, last century. The 3.0 is not the most refined design going but it says to me that active or no crossovers and funny shaped boxes are the way forward. Easily the best value in audio.

Jay S

Re: norh 3.0s
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2003, 06:22 am »
Quote from: thayerg
But even though they are rated for only 20w they also wake up and say hello with 70 or more solid state watts. ...... Easily the best value in audio.

Totally agree.  I goosed my 3.0 drums with a 50 wpc Korsun integrated amp (er, Red Rose Rosette  :P ) and they filled a large bedroom and sounded nice and full (though placed wide apart in the room corners).  I had to shout to be heard in the room but the 3.0s still sounded clean, musical and fun.  For $150/pair delivered, there is no way to go wrong!  

If you want a great full range speaker system on the cheap, I say get the 3.0 drum and look out on the Adire site for a B-stock Rava!