New gear to St.L

Mr Peabody

New gear to St.L
« on: 9 Nov 2015, 05:26 am »
I wondered into Music For Pleasure Saturday, thought I'd share some new things I saw.

They now have Atoll which is a reasonably priced line from France.  We were playing Tidal high res tracks first through a Naim streaming system, not sure the model, then the same tracks through the DAC of an Atoll CD player with digital inputs into an Atoll integrated, I believe each piece retailed around $2500.00.  I was surprised by the Atoll, the soundstage was some smaller but more focused and gave a better sense of melody and pace compared to the Naim.

MFP has Focal's new Sopra speakers on display.  Sopra to me sounds like a smoother more refined Focal.

Technically only in for evaluation but I would bet they will stay,  speakers from a company called Atohm.  They have a little stand mount that retails for around $4500 that has to be heard to believe.  It's like a 5" 2-way with a down firing port, it comes with the stands that is designed to work with the port.  On display is a larger model at $8k.  The sound is very open and effortless.

They have Benz phono cartridges now.  I got to hear a Goldwing.  It sounded quicker and more neutral than what I had imagined from comments and reviews.

Not so new to the store but maybe not well known they carry Boulder.

Nordust is fairly new there and I was told Questile is coming, or, maybe there, and I forgot to listen to it.  Questile is Class D wireless amps, I need to get more info about them.

Has anyone else seen the Devaliet there?  It seems many are labeling this brand as "lifestyle", I found it to be really cool and innovative for the most part.  An integrated amp with DAC in a chasis about the size of a delivery pizza box.  It also runs software specifically matching the amp to your brand of speakers.  At this point I believe the models/brands of speakers is somewhere between 200 & 300.  I loved the remote which was like a retro volume control on a flat platform.  Some time back I got to hear the 400, it did sound good.

If you are familiar with MFP, Eric is back on staff.