Got my AV1RS surrounds up and running this weekend! [PICS]

Darren Thomas

I haven't had a lot of time to test them but am thrilled at how they turned out. I mounted them 17" from the ceiling... I know, I mis-measured and measured to the edge of the speaker not the tweeter :( Will this be a big deal? I figure probably not.

For those who don't know, I had 5 AV-2's and for better WAF I decided to get the AV1RS for the rears. So, now I have 3 AV-2's and the 2 AV1RS surrounds. Great combination.

I played the intro of Finding Nemo where the cow noise goes all around the room and they sounded great! I love the fact that they are out of the way on the wall. I'll have some pics soon.

RAW

« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2006, 07:05 pm »
:beer:
Darren we have found that the AV1RS just fits the bill for over 80% of those people with average rooms.
Good to see you have the enjoyment I do.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2006, 07:35 pm »
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked. Now I just have to decide which movie I should use for comparison to see how different it sounds. I'm gonna try and watch King Kong tonight and test em out.

I spent all day Sunday under my house pulling wire. I moved my entire system around so I had to pull wire for everything, Tivo, netowork, phone, speakers... The only thing I have to do now is pull power for my plasma so I don't have this dumb extension chord laying around! I migth pull a dedicated 20amp circuit for my amps too.

FireBri

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2006, 10:16 pm »
I just purchased the AV-3s x 3 for my LCR, (Went with sealed due to a custom entertainment center) and AV-2RS x 2.  Haven't built yet, (Still building the ent cntr), but I can't wait.  What are you running them with?  My room is 17x14x8 with a large opening to dining/kitchen/playroom.  Denon AVR 5803.  Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Darren Thomas

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2006, 10:58 pm »
I have an Onkyo TX DS777 receiver (100 X 5) but I just use that for switching. I have an AKSA 100 X 3 for my fronts and a B&K Reference 4420 for the rears. Denon 1600 DVD that is pretty nice for the price.

Still hoping to watch a movie tonight. I've been busy!

Darren Thomas

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2006, 09:18 pm »
Here are the pics, nothing terribly unique, just cherry with hand rubbed oil and poly finish.

danm

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2006, 10:31 pm »
Those look very nice and clean. :)

RAW

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2006, 03:28 pm »

Very nice work Darren, as you do so well :mrgreen:

Here is a few pictures of ours we have as well others we have done for Danny

Look how they blend into the room on the wall.

Over all the design works very well for acoustical stand point as well and WAF.You can finish them in veneer as Darren did or just paint them and they do not even stand out at all.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2006, 02:43 pm »
I'm thinking I like these better than my AV2 surrounds. They are less localized and I'm getting much better overall surround effects. For the first time I actually heard effects coming from mid room on the sides and effects in the rear are much more natural sounding, you can't really pinpoint the location, more realistic. I like em!

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2006, 06:19 pm »
Thanks Darren,

That was exactly what I was shooting for.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2006, 06:59 pm »
No problem Danny, I have listened to DIY designs that cost many times more than my AV2's and have yet to find one that makes me want to spend the extra money for them. They are my prized possessions and it was hard for me to change to the AV1RS surrounds but I'm glad I did. Now another room can benefit from my old surrounds!

Hey, one question. Is there anything I can do to my center channel AV2 that is mounted in my ceiling to improve the baffle step issues? I plugged the port as suggested. I might be imagining it but it seems some voices are canned sounding. Does that make sense? I know some movies are just authored with poor voice in some scenes and that could very well be what I'm experiencing. I can get paranoid and imagine things. Would that be a symptom of baffle step issues since I have very little loss now?

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2006, 07:18 pm »
Darren
After I got our pair up and finished the wife loves them :drums:

Track to try out Darren.
Jurassic Park 3 in the fight scene TREX and another larger dinosaur and the people are running around in the trees.
Well when the 2 dinosaurs are fighting and the tail whips above your head :dance:  :dance:
All I can say is duck!!

And THX trallers with the intro of water sounds like the water is running down the walls.

Cool design Danny.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2006, 07:32 pm »
I'll have to check the video library and see if we have JP III or not. Seems like we do but I'll find out. Thanks for the tip!

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2006, 07:50 pm »
Darren,

Do to the added surface reflections in the lower ranges you are going to get some gain in that region because of how you mounted it.

The only way to completely correct it is to change out the crossover for one that has less to no baffle step compensation.

Darren Thomas

« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2006, 09:43 pm »
Ok, well... if I decide it is an issue I guess I'll see if you have some suggestions for crossover mods.