3T mini review

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: 3T mini review
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2013, 11:07 am »
Good to have a plan in mind, but take one step at a time.  Speakers is the best first step IMO.  A synergistic amp is the best second step.  Wait for break-in to occur (hundreds of hours), then decide on the next step.

DACs are hard to invest heavily into as the value of new products keeps going up and up. 

IMO any Omega speaker would totally outclass a cheap subwoofer (like the Pioneer, not that its not 'nice' for the price, but come on it was designed to pair with $130/pair speakers).  If you want the bottom 1 - 2 octaves, without one note boom or sluggish performance, you'll have to ante up for a good sub.  Most recommend sealed for music (tighter, better defined bass) versus ported (deeper, louder) for the HT crowd.  A good example is the $650 USD SVS SB12-NSD:  30 - 250 Hz, 12 inch high quality driver, 14 inch cube, 400 watt amp, DSP (digital signal processing, customized to the cabinet to optimize performance).  Another good example, but they've been out of stock, is Epic Legend: opposing 12 inch drivers, pricing uncertain.  Bottom octave bass is foundational to the overall musical experience and can actually improve imaging, but beware that deep bass can bring all sorts of other challenges (upset neighbors, rattles, uneven in-room frequency response) that can cost thousands to properly resolve.

With the right room (size/shape) and speaker/listening positions room treatments may not be needed (they have negligible benefits in my single driver/proper room system).

OmahawkSCM

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2013, 11:36 am »
Good to have a plan in mind, but take one step at a time.  Speakers is the best first step IMO.  A synergistic amp is the best second step.  Wait for break-in to occur (hundreds of hours), then decide on the next step.

DACs are hard to invest heavily into as the value of new products keeps going up and up. 

IMO any Omega speaker would totally outclass a cheap subwoofer (like the Pioneer, not that its not 'nice' for the price, but come on it was designed to pair with $130/pair speakers).  If you want the bottom 1 - 2 octaves, without one note boom or sluggish performance, you'll have to ante up for a good sub.  Most recommend sealed for music (tighter, better defined bass) versus ported (deeper, louder) for the HT crowd.  A good example is the $650 USD SVS SB12-NSD:  30 - 250 Hz, 12 inch high quality driver, 14 inch cube, 400 watt amp, DSP (digital signal processing, customized to the cabinet to optimize performance).  Another good example, but they've been out of stock, is Epic Legend: opposing 12 inch drivers, pricing uncertain.  Bottom octave bass is foundational to the overall musical experience and can actually improve imaging, but beware that deep bass can bring all sorts of other challenges (upset neighbors, rattles, uneven in-room frequency response) that can cost thousands to properly resolve.

With the right room (size/shape) and speaker/listening positions room treatments may not be needed (they have negligible benefits in my single driver/proper room system).

WRT to break-in, I bought a demo pair that already had about 50 hours on them (Louis' estimate). I have put about 50 on them so far as well. I'm not sure how much more break in they need.

WRT to a subwoofer, my earlier post states that I had already talked to SVS and decided on the SB12-NSD as well. However, beowulf then suggested that Pioneer. That is the only reason that I suggested it.

Also, there is a pretty nasty thread over on AVS regarding Epik and how they haven't returned any calls for like 7 months and people have had amp problems so I have ruled them out.

beowulf

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2013, 11:01 pm »

WRT to a subwoofer, my earlier post states that I had already talked to SVS and decided on the SB12-NSD as well. However, beowulf then suggested that Pioneer. That is the only reason that I suggested it.

Yes I suggested it, but only because you seem dead set on getting a sub, so I saw the low budget Pioneer as a means to get your bass fix and then have more funds to get a better amplifier first.  Don't get me wrong, I think the sub is decent for what you get, but it would be way down on my list and I would go with an amp and room treatments and even cabling first.

Let me pose this as an alternative system and I believe this to be the very minimal way to go before shopping for subwoofers:

(1) Rega Brio-R Integrated Amp - used for around $555 (see if you can find one in Silver and it will match up nicely with the Mac Mini and Schitt stuff).
(2) Schitt Modi DAC - new for $99 (I would want to eventually work up to a better DAC that can do 24/192 files such as the BiFrost)
(3) Schitt Magni Discrete Headphone Amp ($99)
(4) Put the rest of your budget towards cables and room treatments.

Why I think the Brio-R has a lot of advantages:

First off, Louis uses a few different amps when he designs his speakers and the Rega Brio is one of them - so we are talking about synergy with the Omegas right up front, secondly it's an integrated amp that has 50 watts so it has lots of flexibility and more than enough power to drive your speakers, thirdly if you are at all curious about vinyl records the Brio-R has an excellent built-in phono stage so that is always an option down the road (just add a turntable and you are good to go).  There are great reviews of the Rega Brio-R on Tone Audio and Digital Audio Review and was also What Hi-Fi's product of the year 2012.  Since you can get a used one for under $600 we are talking a lot of bang for the buck IMO and I can vouch for the sound of the Rega Brio-R as I have one.

After you have your gear in place - you should read the 3 part series on Red Spade Audio's Blog - Bass Integration Guide and it will show you how to run some sweeps using Room EQ Wizard (REW) to figure what to do to your room before you even start adding any treatments at all.  The REW software is free (donations are appreciated) and the gear needed is minimal (it can be found used) and by doing this it will give you a game plan on how to treat your room to make a better impact rather than just throwing some traps up and hoping for the best.  Then once you get your room under control start shopping for a good sub (if by this time you think you still need one).

Anyways, that's my .02 on the subject YMMV :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2013, 11:44 pm »
WRT to break-in, I bought a demo pair that already had about 50 hours on them (Louis' estimate). I have put about 50 on them so far as well. I'm not sure how much more break in they need.

Also, there is a pretty nasty thread over on AVS regarding Epik and how they haven't returned any calls for like 7 months and people have had amp problems so I have ruled them out.

Thanks for the heads up on Epik.   :thumb:

sugbob21

« Reply #24 on: 1 Aug 2013, 03:10 pm »
I am using a Dodd tube buffer with the TBI Millenia. It gives me 3 inputs , no gain into the Millenia.

sugbob21

« Reply #25 on: 1 Aug 2013, 03:15 pm »
I am also using Dave's cables and can vouch for them as a vast improvement in my system. I amusing his interconnects and DNM speaker cable with the Omegas.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 2 Aug 2013, 05:40 am »

beowulf

OmahawkSCM

« Reply #28 on: 2 Aug 2013, 11:48 am »
Omahawk, here you go!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118703.msg1247681;topicseen#new

Ahh! I would jump all over it except he has 2 feedbacks. 1 is from someone with no post or feedback themselves and the other 1 is from someone with not a ton a feedback......

OmahawkSCM

« Reply #29 on: 2 Aug 2013, 12:07 pm »
What do you guys think? Is there a safe(r) way to proceed with this guy?