Replacing metal-dome tweeters on PSB Goldi's?

Huck

Replacing metal-dome tweeters on PSB Goldi's?
« on: 28 Sep 2007, 01:45 pm »
Hello: I have a tweeter going out (buzzing) on one of my PSB Goldi's and I don't really want to replace with the stock metal-dome tweets,so I would like to maybe go with a pair of silk-domes instead. I believe the Goldi's use the Vifa-D25AG07-06 tweeters, so I would like to do a simple "drop-in" if I can find a suitable match. These Vifa's were made specifically( what I read somewhere1) for PSB,so the numbers are hard to find to do a cross-reference. I like these speakers, except for the top-end,which I have covered up with two layers of Kleenex to help with the brightness (which helps some).
 I was hoping that maybe someone here has maybe done a tweeter swap with some silk-domes with no trouble! Part numbers would be great!! Thanks, Keith :thumb:

Mikeintoronto

Re: Replacing metal-dome tweeters on PSB Goldi's?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:12 pm »
Have you tried doing any felt treatment around the tweeter.

Oh yeah.
Hi, I'm new. :thumb:

Mike

Huck

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:40 pm »
Have you tried doing any felt treatment around the tweeter.

Oh yeah.
Hi, I'm new. :thumb:

Mike
Hi Mike: Not sure what you mean?! What kinda felt?.....where put?!
 Thanks, Keith

Mikeintoronto

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2007, 03:26 pm »
You put the felt(wool not synthetic) around the outside edge of the tweeter.  Make a square or diamond cutout that barely touches the edges of the tweeter grill.  You know it's probably better if I just post the link.
The speakers I built call for this treatment and it seems to help flatten the frequency response from the metal dome tweeter.
http://home.comcast.net/~audio-worx/page90DIY-FeltPads.html

Huck

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2007, 05:07 pm »
You put the felt(wool not synthetic) around the outside edge of the tweeter.  Make a square or diamond cutout that barely touches the edges of the tweeter grill.  You know it's probably better if I just post the link.
The speakers I built call for this treatment and it seems to help flatten the frequency response from the metal dome tweeter.
http://home.comcast.net/~audio-worx/page90DIY-FeltPads.html
  Hi Mike: Thanks for the good tip, but I would rather just change out both tweeters and be done with it. PSB must have sold a whack of these Goldi's,so I am hoping someone has done a "drop-in" swap! Thanks, Keith

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2007, 05:30 pm »
Huck,
Years ago I had a set of the PSB 6T's and felt the same way as you. I too wanted to change out the tweeter and was looking to replace it with a silk dome tweeter. I for the life of me can't remember what tweeter was recomended but you will most likely have better luck over at the Madisound forum. I know this wasn't much help but give the dudes over there a try, they know their tweeters!! :lol:

Regards,
John

Huck

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2007, 05:55 pm »
Huck,
Years ago I had a set of the PSB 6T's and felt the same way as you. I too wanted to change out the tweeter and was looking to replace it with a silk dome tweeter. I for the life of me can't remember what tweeter was recomended but you will most likely have better luck over at the Madisound forum. I know this wasn't much help but give the dudes over there a try, they know their tweeters!! :lol:

Regards,
John

Hi John: Thanks, but I have been there already! They suggested a tweeter, which after checking the dimensions.....wasn't even close!
 I am looking for a straight "drop-in", with no problems! I guess most people are happy with the stock tweets!! Maybe I'll just add another Kleenex! Thanks, Huck

Mikeintoronto

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:12 pm »
You may want to try the Parts Express Tech board.
A lot of knowledgable DIY there.
As well as htguide.com in the missions possible section.

I hope it's o.k. to post these other places
Mike

Huck

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:21 pm »
You may want to try the Parts Express Tech board.
A lot of knowledgable DIY there.
As well as htguide.com in the missions possible section.

I hope it's o.k. to post these other places
Mike
Hi Mike: Been there too!! They said that the x-over would need some work for the tweet they recommended, but I don't wanna go playing around with the X-over! Maybe I'll leave well enough alone and replace both with stock tweets! Thanks for everyone's comments! Huck

bluenose1

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2007, 08:58 pm »
Hi Huck. This might not be what be what you're looking for... but I'd be inclined to install the correct tweeter as a replacement. The designer, Paul Barton, has paid a lot of attention to coherence and sound stage as well as frequency response, and a different driver will almost certainly affect all that....and your speakers might still sound bright!  I've owned a pair of PSB Goldi's for almost 2 years and am very happy with the sound performance. Each time I've improved the quality of my source, pre-amp, and amplifier, the Goldi's sound better. It's a two channel setup and the combination right now is SS amp, tube pre-amp and CD player which has had upgraded op-amps installed. To me the sound is smooth, balanced and not at all bright. And my room is reasonably well damped, so that will also have a bearing.
Anyway, my two cents.
Regards,
B.

Huck

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2007, 12:01 am »
Hi Huck. This might not be what be what you're looking for... but I'd be inclined to install the correct tweeter as a replacement. The designer, Paul Barton, has paid a lot of attention to coherence and sound stage as well as frequency response, and a different driver will almost certainly affect all that....and your speakers might still sound bright!  I've owned a pair of PSB Goldi's for almost 2 years and am very happy with the sound performance. Each time I've improved the quality of my source, pre-amp, and amplifier, the Goldi's sound better. It's a two channel setup and the combination right now is SS amp, tube pre-amp and CD player which has had upgraded op-amps installed. To me the sound is smooth, balanced and not at all bright. And my room is reasonably well damped, so that will also have a bearing.
Anyway, my two cents.
Regards,
B.

Thanks B for the comment! Maybe I will go with the "stock" tweeter route! My room is quite "live" right now and I plan on removing all my drywall(ceiling and walls) sometime for soundproofing to upstairs (Wife!) and maybe "deaden" it up a bit also. The tweeter is weird.....it sounds fine on most music , but one certain frequency it buzzes. Finding good music helps also.... most remastered discs are pretty bright, at least for me. Anyway, enjoy your Goldi's like me!! Later, Huck

cfbuck

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2007, 12:01 am »
Huck,

As Bluenose has suggested, the stock tweeters are probably your best bet. A very good crossover designer, Dennis Murphy who designs the xovers for Salk Sound in this forum, has a definite opinion about the Vifa D25AGs. He likes them and doesn't think that they are at all bright. I refer you to one of his published DIY designs and and the relevent sections are paragraphs 2 and 3.

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=New_Vifa_Tower.html

jmc207

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2007, 12:36 am »
Almost ten years ago I was also thinking of replacing some Vifa D25AG's with some soft domes. A speaker designer I knew at the time suggested the ScanSpeak D2905/9000 as the best match, with the D2905/9300 being second best match, though he couldn't say if it would really work well or not. Never did get around to trying it. Another tweeter that might have similar characteristics to the above would be a North D25-06S from North Creek Music Systems. Not sure if it's still available since George has drastically scaled back his parts/kits business. If it is and if it fits, $36/pair may be worth trying instead of the $200/pair ScanSpeaks.

jmc207

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2007, 12:38 am »
Oh yes, if you do stick with the stock tweeters, the felt idea should help. I've tried that on a couple of speakers with good results.

Huck

« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2007, 04:12 pm »
Thanks for all of the replies! Huck