Von Schweikert VR2 or alternatives

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
Von Schweikert VR2 or alternatives
« on: 27 May 2007, 10:13 pm »
HI Folks,

What do you guys think of the Von Schweikert VR2 speakers? I jhve heard The VR1, Vr2 and Vr4jr and quiet like them all. I especially ike the midrange. I am looking to upgrade from my Tannoy system 800A and thought that the Von Schwikert VR2 may be a nice choice (paired with Peter Daniel's gainclone from the kit).
What else should I be looking at? I want it to be a very considerable pgrade and I want a big, effortless, dynamic, rythmic, non fatuiging sound with excellent midrange and detail/transparrency. They have to be very musical.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

P.S. I was also thinking of used Totem model 1, Mani 2, Forrest of maybe. Something from Vienna Acoustics or Gershman Avantgarde (all used). I haven't heard the Gershman though but I've read good things.

P.S2 The PMC AML1 I think would be my first choice, if  can find a good deal.

WGH

Re: Von Schweikert VR2 or alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2007, 10:26 pm »
I want a big, effortless, dynamic, rhythmic, non fatiguing sound with excellent midrange and detail/transparency. They have to be very musical.

Sounds like you just described the VR2's. I have been living with a pair for almost a year and couldn't be happier.

Rafal

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2007, 10:41 pm »
Thanks, that's good to hear.

How do they compare quality-wise to other speakers in this price range (by the looks of them, they look very nice). Are there other speakers that would I sould also consider?

Thanks,

Rafal

PS
I'll se you all TAAS members this Sunday :)

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2007, 10:49 pm »
What efficiency do you need?

Rafal

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2007, 11:05 pm »
Something efficient enough, or easy enough to drive so I can use my 45w/ch gainclone.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2007, 11:15 pm »
P.S. I was also thinking of used Totem model 1, Mani 2, Forrest of maybe. Something from Vienna Acoustics or Gershman Avantgarde (all used). I haven't heard the Gershman though but I've read good things.

I wouldn't recommend the Model 1's. I had a friends pair for the better part of a year. They don't do much of anything well at all, except the amount of bass for such a small speaker. They are not a very efficient speaker either, and if I remember correctly, they are a 4 Ohm load. I haven't heard the Mani 2's, but they have a reputation for having a difficult impedance curve.

I heard the Forrests a couple of years ago, and thought they were nice, but I haven't heard them recently so I don't know how they would compare to what I've been exposed to since then.

Cheers

Rafal

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2007, 11:24 pm »
Thanks,

When I heard the Von Schweikert VR1 (which are standmount) and I think they sounded very, very nice. They don't seem to have quiet the same reputation as Model 1's. I did like Mani 2s when i heard htem, but I hear they need quiet a bit of power.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2007, 11:27 pm »
Hmmm, 45w/ch. Depends on your room size. I have 120w/ch so don't know dynamic the VR2's would be with less. Someone on the Channel Islands Forum might know, CIAudio uses and sells Von Schweikert speakers. You can also email Albert at Von Schweikert.

If they work out, you will not be disappointed. The fit and finish is excellent, a very well designed and made speaker.

Rafal

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2007, 11:58 pm »
What kind of amp are you using with your VR2s?

chadh

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2007, 12:12 am »

For what it's worth, I used to use the Channel Islands VMB1s (40w gainclones, in the same vein as the Peter Daniels amp) with Von Schweikert VR1s.  The VR1s are about 89db sensitivity, and never had a problem filling my 18x15x8 listening room.  In fact, I tended to suffer from too much gain in the system, and used some in-line attenuators to allow me a little more usable range on the pre-amp volume control.

The sound was really nice, too.  Very musical.

Chad

Tweaker

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2007, 12:29 am »
I have a pair of VR 1's mated with a Hsu Research VTF-2 MK3 sub and being driven by a pair of 100 wpc Murano Audio ICEPower monoblock amps. The VR 1's are really something special. The little guys can really fill a room and the sound is almost electrostatic like.  They do seem to like some horsepower but your Gainclone should be OK with them.

Rafal

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2007, 01:00 am »
Tweaker and WGH,
What made you choose your Vos Schweikerts?

Chad,
Wat speakers did you upgrade to?

Thanks guys,

Rafal

chadh

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2007, 01:20 am »

Chad,
Wat speakers did you upgrade to?
Rafal

I'm not sure it was an upgrade so much as a change in direction.  I'm using a pair of Omega Super 3 XRS right now.  In my new place, their form is perfect for what I need and I was keen to try out the single-driver experience.  I'm pretty happy now - but I also enjoyed my time with the VR1s.

Chad

Tweaker

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2007, 01:49 am »
I really wanted to downsize my system. I had some big fullrange floorstanders that I kind of had a love/hate relationship with. Great sounding but poor dispersion plus they really did dominate our modest sized living room. I had always admired the sound of a good sub/sat system and decided that was the way I wanted to go so I started doing some relentless on-line research for modest priced stand mount speakers (and a sub). I read enough consistant praise on other forums, and professional reviews of the VR 1's to convince me to give them a shot. The other two contenders that I had narrowed my search down to (based on reviews and forum discussion) were the Green Mountain Audio Europa and the Odyssey Epiphany. I found a really good deal on the VR's so I went with them and they have way exceeded my expectations. I couldn't be happier.
My wife loves them, too! :D
The other thing that I like about them is our living room seems bigger and brighter now. Our 42" plasma seems to have grown in size, as well.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2007, 04:54 am »
Rafal - I did a lot of reading and crossed my fingers, I never heard them before I bought. The reviews were consistently good and "Product of the Year" by Absolute Sound was a big plus. I have a small space (12' x 15'), so a full range speaker that go down to 25Hz meant I could get rid of my (cheap) sub-woofer. And I got a killer close-out deal from a dealer on Audiogon on a brand new un-opened pair.

My old speakers started out as JBL L88's and were very heavily modified with new Kimber internal wiring, crossovers, internal bracing, JBL mid-range and rear firing tweeter. They now sound like high end monitors instead of the old California sounding JBL's, the mid-bass hump is eliminated, deep bass is tight and clean, and the highs fill up the room. I still use them in my shop every day and never will let them go, they are that good. The VR2's had some big shoes to fill, and in many ways - though not all - they surpass the JBL's.

I really like the way the rear firing tweeter works and anything else just sounds flat. My choices and budget were limited, so the VR2's became my speaker of choice.

I don't use anything exotic to drive them, an Anthem TLP 1 pre-amp and an Anthem PVA 2 amp, both solid state units made by Sonic Frontiers. Both are excellent, with the PVA 2 known for it's tight controlled bass, which  works very well with the VR2's transmission line design. Phono pre-amp is a modded Hagerman Cornet2, CD's are computer based feeding a HagUSB and Scott-Nixon Tube Dac.

Rafal

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2007, 10:52 pm »
Hi Guys,

I just picked up my VR2s which I got used. They sound very nice. The bass is lower and very tuneful, just like it should be. the highs are very smooth and the midange is nice and clear. They are very, very detailed, yet musical. I just have to do something about my very bright room and get a bigger amp. I currently use the 45w/ch LM3875 gainclone but was thinking of a CIA D100 monoblocks or a tube amp. Maybe the PP150 from McAslister Audio or a nice Rougue  amp? What would you recommend?

Cheers,

Rafal

gooberdude

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:31 pm »
a good friend powers his VR2's with the Jolida 1000RC.   its a great combo to my ears.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:53 pm »
Rafal,

The McAlister tube amps are worth looking into. Peter McAlister is located about an hour north of Toronto. If you're in the area, I would give him a call. You might even be able to arrange to bring your speakers by for a listening session. Peter is a real enthusiastic guy, and his amps seem to be worth serious consideration. We ran them at our Amp Comparo, and they are quite unique sounding for an all tube amp.

And they are not a ton of money.

Cheers

Rafal

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2007, 12:47 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm seriously considering the McAlister amp. Has anyone played with either CIA or Van Alestine amps? They look interestring.

Frihed91

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jun 2007, 10:17 am »
I can not recommend McAlister products because of the numerous construction mistakes made on my pp power amp and PL12 preamp.  The sound from the pp amp was gorgeous once the effects of the production mistakes were taken care of. I am a sample of 1.