USHER AC-10, Anybody, ART or AUDIO

mclsound

USHER AC-10, Anybody, ART or AUDIO
« on: 6 May 2007, 03:03 pm »
I have a chance to get a good deal on these,AC-10, anybody have any experiences?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: USHER AC-10, Anybody, ART or AUDIO
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2007, 03:14 pm »
Hello MCL,
 I recently had a pair of AC-10's on the floor that I was holding/selling for another dealer (long story).
 Build quality is exceptional. Some of the best in the industry and far above their price point.
 Sound quality is unique in comparison to conventional speakers but about on par with ceramic driver speakers. The AC-10 uses Accuton midrange and tweeters with a conventional bass driver manufacturerd by Usher.
 As far as ceramic driver speakers go, the AC-10 will hold it's own with other manufacturers that ask more than twice the price.
 If you have a chance to audition them first, I would highly recommend it unless you are familiar with the sound of ceramic.
 Ceramic drivers are very precise and articulate without the warmth of conventional cone drivers. It boils down to personal taste and preferences

You can drive these speakers with anything from a 20 watt 845 amp to a 100 watt solid state. Tubes do help warm them up a bit providing a nice balance.

(For the record, I have not been an Usher dealer for some time for those who may consider this a biased response. Also, the AC-10's that were on my floor are long gone so I am not trying to make a sale here.)

mclsound

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2007, 05:23 pm »
thanks Bill,AC/DC to home theatre,can u compare to anything? i am going to have a pair of Odyssey Extreme mono's S.E. 250/ch,solid state

mclsound

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2007, 10:02 pm »
ok i think if i was going to spend $5-$9000 on speakers i would want them to move me.Well i finally got to hear a pair of AC-10's and they did not do it for me.Artisticly,they were gorgeous,but the bottom end was missing.Next time will be the CP series.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2007, 10:32 pm »
Gladto see you were able to audition a pair fisrt. This is why I recommeded the audition. Ceramic is not for everyone.

mclsound

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2007, 10:41 pm »
CP-6391 hi Bill ,u were right,have u heard these,they were not there yet.same sound or not..need to handle more power??

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2007, 10:44 pm »
The CP series has a completely different presentation. No where near the same sound. Power would not be a problem. Whatever you planned on using with the AC-10s would do just fine with the CP series.

mclsound

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2007, 11:59 pm »
i am going to run 2--250w monoblocks and was wondering if they were(CP's) a waist of my time?ac-10 were very dissapointing for that kind of money!!i started with Led Zepplin then a dance mix,i figured if that doesn't cover it(old & new) nothin will.2 year warrenty?????

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2007, 12:15 am »
Usher has a 5 year warranty on all their speakers. If they are used/demo units, you are probably getting the remaining warranty. If it's the AC-10's, an additional 2 year warranty is great.

i am going to run 2--250w monoblocks and was wondering if they were(CP's) a waist of my time?

Not sure what you mean by this? 250 watt amplifiers would do a nice job with these speakers. Again, audition first if you can.

mclsound

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2007, 12:29 am »
by all means i will of course.i will let u know what i think. he said 2yr warranty????????

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2007, 12:33 am »
They must be a demo or used pair unless they have changed their warranty period. I was an Usher dealer for several years.
 Keep us posted on your thoughts.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2007, 12:35 am »
so far you have only mentioned the bass of the ac-10's, what else are you looking for in a speaker?
have you checked into the be-10's ?

mclsound

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2007, 01:39 am »
be-10,once again,absolute art!! a little out of my $$$,all i am saying is if i was listening to Enya in the background,they are perfect.In your face front end speakers both HT & STEREO + VISUAL & ACOUSTICAL  Usher has visual down pat. I use a SERVO-15 sub so i need killer mid-bass and up...but has to handle it & i think that $2500-$4000 should buy u art & audio.