TAAS EXCLUSIVE: FREE CD Ripping & FLAC Encoding Service

Spirit

• Facilitator
Re: TAAS EXCLUSIVE: FREE CD Ripping & FLAC Encoding Service
« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2007, 09:21 pm »
Would you send this guy the works of Joni Mitchell, Gord Lightfoot, Leonard Cohen, Guess Who, Steppenwolf, Allanis, Avril, Tafelmusik, Angela Hewitt, The MSO, the TSO, the CSO, Jaime Robbie Robertson... to be digitially copied for convenience?

Is your time more precious than their livelihood?

Canada rocks. Do you?
I am not sure I understand what your point is.
Please expand.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2007, 09:38 pm »
I trust Donnie's integrity not to sell ripped copies of his customer's music in the black market if that is what you are alluding to.  8)

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #22 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:01 pm »
Would you send this guy the works of Joni Mitchell, Gord Lightfoot, Leonard Cohen, Guess Who, Steppenwolf, Allanis, Avril, Tafelmusik, Angela Hewitt, The MSO, the TSO, the CSO, Jaime Robbie Robertson... to be digitially copied for convenience?

Canada rocks. Do you?

Do you what?

Is my time worth more than my livelihood?

Once again, in plain English, por favor....

Cheers

Spirit

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:17 pm »

Canada rocks. Do you?

Do you what?

Is my time worth more than my livelihood?

Once again, in plain English, por favor....

Cheers

Dayglow:
I think this AC member is trying to insinuate that Donnie may be offering this service to TAAS members so that he can accumulate a vast library of music without paying for it (and then also choose to sell songs).
See how a generous gesture can get convoluted by some?

Tirade

« Reply #24 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:30 pm »
Actually, when he makes the statement "Is your time more precious than thier livelihood" he means that time you save having the conveinence of your music in digital form isnt worth the risk of having your CD's damaged during the shipping/ripping process.

For some the answer is yes, for others the answer is no. Conveinence is worth a LOT in my book :)

As for selling copies of music he rips, that wouldnt be legal. If someone wants to demo a CD he may have, thats all fine and dandy, but if you want to keep it, please buy it.

Then again, if you buy your music from allofmp3.com you pay $3.00 a CD for lossless format and thats hard to beat. Whether allofmp3.com is legal or isnt legal, thats a debate from someone else because I have no idea.

Anyway, keeping this thread on topic, if you havent made the move to lossless audio.. DO IT (especially if you can get it done for free)

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #25 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:30 pm »
Dayglow:
I think this AC member is trying to insinuate that Donnie may be offering this service to TAAS members so that he can accumulate a vast library of music without paying for it (and then also choose to sell songs).
See how a generous gesture can get convoluted by some?

I'm trying not to speculate that that is in fact what he's insinuating.

I don't think that this guy has any idea what line of work DonnieW is in. If he did, he'd know that it would be about the stupidest thing in the world for him to do anything violating copyright. And having a trail on an open forum..... :duh:

I don't think DonnieW could ever mistakenly bang his head hard enough to make him lose that much sense.  :lol:

Actually, when he makes the statement "Is your time more precious than thier livelihood" he means that time you save having the conveinence of your music in digital form isnt worth the risk of having your CD's damaged during the shipping/ripping process.

How does that refer to anyones livelihood?

Cheers

Tirade

« Reply #26 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:36 pm »
Thier livelihood = The CD's livelihood

He wasnt referring to the OP (or so I dont think)

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:51 pm »
Oh, ok, that makes sense.

I'm still stuck on the
Canada rocks. Do you?
thing.

Don't know what he means by that... :scratch:

Cheers

DonnieW

« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:34 pm »
Not sure what Murky was getting at??  I thought he named off some pretty cool Canadian artists, most of which I have in my expansive collection of CD's.  Is it worth my time ripping CD's of those artists?  Sure!  I don't mind at all.  Am I keeping copies?  Absolutely not.  I've got 8,000+ CD's in my collection.  I also represent some pretty big music labels in Canada and the U.S.  I've got access to forensic-quality copies of over 900,000 albums.  It's the fact I have this level of access that I'm interested in the entire digital music ripping scene.  I have a pretty good idea of whether my rips are accurate, I reference a series of special databases.

As for selling copies... well that's definitely not legal.  There are some pretty interesting caveats but generally its a no-no, I'll leave it at that.  As Dayglo eluded to, one aspect of my work covers this particular area.  I'm not going to go down that road in this thread as it tends to attract all sorts of people who don't know what the heck they're talking about.

I've got nearly 12,000 CD's on deck for the next few weeks.  I've been meeting a number of people in this process and all have been really cool.  So this is turning out to be just as much social as it is work.  pretty cool.  Just today I had a couple guys drop by, one is 3 Squeezebox'es deep and the other is eager to get into the whole Squeeze/digital music scene.  My plan is working!

« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2007, 11:54 pm by DonnieW »

miklorsmith

« Reply #29 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:41 pm »
What a completely awesome service.  I don't qualify but you deserve a big  :thumb: Donnie.  I only have about 500 CDs ripped to my hard drive and that's a lot of work itself.  People, even if you don't have digital audio yet this is a KILLER deal to back up your CDs. 

A external hard drive to hold 1000 CDs costs about $250 right now.  That's $.25 a disc.  Of course, once you get the drive home back that sucker up.  Still a smokin' deal and it will save you literally years of work to do yourself.

Again, what a guy.

DonnieW

« Reply #30 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:42 pm »
I'll currently working with some of the CD owners to come up with a good naming/tagging convention.  Up to this point we've been doing unique tags that might not work for everyone.  I've simplified and found most only want the basics.  Having a clean/short filename is important to many who own the Squeeze-type devices as it provides flexibility for browsing.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #31 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:42 pm »
I get it now...you own Logitech stock!!!

Ahaa!!!

Cheers

DonnieW

« Reply #32 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:43 pm »
I get it now...you own Logitech stock!!!

Ahaa!!!

Cheers

You're good... ever think about a career in the Investigation field?  I'm hiring.

Acutally, I'm not hiring... I don't want Denny leaving what I know he does best.  Awesome craftsman.

DonnieW

« Reply #33 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:46 pm »
What a completely awesome service.  I don't qualify but you deserve a big  :thumb: Donnie.  I only have about 500 CDs ripped to my hard drive and that's a lot of work itself.  People, even if you don't have digital audio yet this is a KILLER deal to back up your CDs. 

A external hard drive to hold 1000 CDs costs about $250 right now.  That's $.25 a disc.  Of course, once you get the drive home back that sucker up.  Still a smokin' deal and it will save you literally years of work to do yourself.

Again, what a guy.

Dude you're KILLING me!!! :guns:

The guy even puts in a cost model too, nice!  :lol:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #34 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:50 pm »
DonnieW,

You know that guy here on AC with that 14000 CD collection is gonna come looking for you sooner or later!   :o

Cheers  :lol: :lol: :lol:

miklorsmith

« Reply #35 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:53 pm »
It might be worth moving and joining your society.

DonnieW

« Reply #36 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:57 pm »
It might be worth moving and joining your society.

You sure you don't have 14,000 CD's?  You could buy a black-market passport, smuggle the CD's into the country and stay at the finest Toronto hotel during the ripping process for what you'd save.   :lol:

The former two being illegal btw, I'm just sayin'.

miklorsmith

« Reply #37 on: 9 Feb 2007, 12:00 am »
I'd have to smuggle the CDs into Canada?  Man, you guys are a world away.  The passport is no problem.  I will come under the cover of darkness with an unmarked van.  You will know me by my words Remember to drink your Ovaltine.

DonnieW

« Reply #38 on: 9 Feb 2007, 12:04 am »
You will know me by my words Remember to drink your Ovaltine.

The funniest part of the movie, IMO. I digress.

rick ch

« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2007, 01:29 am »
You will know me by my words Remember to drink your Ovaltine.

The funniest part of the movie, IMO. I digress.

Fra-gee-lay...it must be Italian

If only SACD and DVD-A could be ripped and played on the SB.