CAPS 2 audio server high performance linear multi-rail power supply.

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com

I have been asked by a number of CAPS 2 audio server builders about providing a linear power supply option for the server.

This can easily be set up within the SR7EHD multi rail chassis to provide a 12v rail for the Jetway motherboard, a 12v rail for the SotM USB card, a rail for a SSD hard drive and a rail for an external hard drive for file storage. All the rails are galvanically isolated to avoid any ground loop interaction problems.

This Caps 2 linear supply will give first class performance as the linear voltage regulators use my best ultra low noise wide bandwidth regulator topology with each rail configured and optimised for the intended load.

The cost is £995, which is the equivalent of one SR7 and three upgraded SR3 power supplies, which would cost £1335 when purchased separately.

High performance High current OFC DC leads cost £35 each terminated with suitable connectors. Insured carriage and packing will be charged at cost and quoted for the destination once known.

Regards
Paul

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator

I have had a few requests for a photo of the SR7EHD custom Multirail Supply. The linked photos are of a four-rail supply. Rail 1 is for the Mac Mini, Rail 2,3 and 4 are customised for the Overdrive DAC. This is the same custom supply I make for the CAPS audio server.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/270512download009.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/270512download015.jpg

Regards
Paul

bulldogger

How much power would your supply deliver?

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Paul,

Once CAPS 3.0 carbon and Zuma is published I will see how to configure my server and will fwd you the voltage specs for each aspect.  The lagoon design has a RedWine battery supply that prevents noise from the motherboard polluting the AC retrograde and affecting other components.  What are your thoughts on this?  Does your unit prevent this from occurring as well?   

I would suggest letting other readers on computeraudiophile about this system and may consider a group buy as you have for other set ups on their site. 

I have seen the benefits of your unit first hand and the magic your regulators do for Steve Nugents Overdrive dac.  By far the best dac I have experienced to date.   I am grateful to apply this unit to the new CAPS 3.0. 

dmgbat

I'm also interested in powering a CAPS 3.0 Carbon w/ one of your supplies, Paul. But, I'd like to complicate things a bit: Currently, I'm using a MacMini w/ an Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5 (HDMI Hynes/Turboclock version) and an Empirical Audio Short Block USB Filter and a Wyred4Sound Dac2. I'm not sure that I'm ready to ditch the Mac and move over to CAPS, but I am sure that I'm ready to try an outboard power supply. Would you be able to create a multi-rail supply that I could use currently w/ my Mac set up AND then later w/a CAPS 3.0 Carbon? I'm not sure whether I ought to run the Empirical Audio gear off of your power supply, too, but am open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Danny 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
I'll add my name to the hat of CAPS 3 builders with interest in your power supplies. I know little of the ins and outs of such supplies, but your reputation preceeds you in such a way that I'm inclined to lean your way.

In addition to powering motherboard and USB card, I'm curious about the possibility (and viability) of powering a external hard drive. Wall wart that currently powers it states its output at 12V, 3 amps.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
The power delivery can be varied to suit, depending on how much current is required for each rail. The standard 4 rail supply uses a 500VA mains transformer. A typical main 12v high current rail would be set anywhere between 6 to 10 amps continuous with at least 50 amps transient current available.

The Multi-rail power supply can be adapted to power Caps 3 formats powering 12v Motherboards and up to 3 peripherals where voltage and current can be set to suit the peripheral. A full ATX version will need a larger case and more rails. This will add cost of course.

Danny,

The multi-rail supply can also be used with the Mac Mini and the additional rails can be set up for use with Empirical Audio Off Ramp, Synchromesh, external hard drives etc. The main 12v high current rail can power the Mac Mini 2010 onwards or the Caps 12v supply so the power supply can be retained if you go for the Caps 3 later. Earlier Mac Minis will require the main supply rail to be 18v5.

Essentially the Multi-rail supply is customised to suit the requirements of the application. I just need to know what items will be powered by the supply to configure it.

Regards
Paul