One 9BSST channel going into thermal overload

rhathawy

One 9BSST channel going into thermal overload
« on: 12 Apr 2009, 08:16 pm »
I've had a problem with one channel of my 9BSST going into and out of thermal overload.  I've have been discussing my problem with service personnel in VT and it looks like I am going to have to send the unit in for repair.  The other four channels run cool and have no overheating  problems.   This has helped with trouble shooting as it has helped me eliminate my source and loads as causes of the problem.  By this I mean I can shift the input and speaker from one of the channels that is running fine over to the problem channel and it still overheats and the source /load moved over to the good channel does not cause it to overheat.  The amp has been installed for about a year and I have never had an issue with overheating until about 2 weeks ago when I heard one of the surround speakers cut out and then come back in once the channel had cooled back off.  The amp is rack installed and has always had a fan on the amp as a precaution.  The fan was a precautionary measure as there is adequate area to ensure cooling.   I moved the fan so that it is blowing directly on the offending channel.  This delays the time it takes for the thermal cutout to come in, but it still eventually comes in.  I can lay mine had on the other four channels indefinitely, but cannot leave it on the hot one for know more than 15 sec.  This was a change because they all used to run at the same temperature.   I am using the balanced connectors input, but it also does it using the unbalanced connector.  All gains are set the same 2V and phase is set to zero.  I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to ship it in for repair, but just wondering if any one has a theory as to what type of failure would cause this.

Bob

b5pt9

Re: One 9BSST channel going into thermal overload
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2009, 11:20 pm »
Good writeup.  If you're handy maybe they'll let you just pull the channel card instead of shipping the whole 100lb beast.

rhathawy

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2009, 06:39 am »
Shipprd amp to  VT service center yesterday.  Hopefully it just needs a bias adjustment. :)

rhathawy

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2009, 07:36 pm »
My amp is back from the Bryston service center and working flawlessly again.  Service technician (Dennis) called me several times to discuss the repair and what he was finding. Because of intermittent type of failure that was occurring on the channel it took a while to ferret out the issue.  He was able to re-create the thermal overload problem the amp was experiencing. Several parts were replaced, although no single root cause was found.   As usual Bryston service was great to work with :thumb:

Bob