4B SST2

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 4B SST2
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2009, 09:14 pm »
James,

What do you think about a 6B SST for the front speakers (Ultima 1 Studio + C30) and a 875 HT for the rears (S30 x 4) ?
Is that, in your expert opinion, a good choice (with limited budget and space in my rack !!!) ?
Thanks by advance for your concern.

MOZ

Hi Moz -do you do a lot of Stereo listening or mostly Surround?

james

MOZ

« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2009, 09:38 pm »
Both equaly, but music only in 2 ch (not fan of multichannel music).
I also make Blu-ray reviews for a french online mag...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2009, 10:06 pm »
Both equaly, but music only in 2 ch (not fan of multichannel music).
I also make Blu-ray reviews for a french online mag...

Ok maybe consider a 4B for the Stereo fronts and a 9B for the Center and 4 Surrounds.

That way when listening to Stereo you only have the 4B on.  Also the 9B will do a better job than an 875 bridged into the 4 Surrounds.

james

KimKman

« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2009, 01:51 am »
Detail is incredible, vocals to die for. Yes vocals are so smoooth that it tracends tube character without the bloat.

You say you have aboout 100 hours of use. When did the above statement come into play? Also what interconnects are you using to the amplifier? I am not commenting yet on my new amps but I did have some issue with interconnects. At first using my standard ones (MIT's) I thought WhAt, where is the high end :) Then I switched of to a run of the mill set and there was everything. Now I will say mid bass on down kicks my *** up and down the street haha. Pretty awesome. Well with only 10 hours on the amps doing well so far. I do have a couple other pairs of interconnects on the way.

Right now in my test setup Theta Basic II > Theta ProGen Va > ARC LS22 - 7BSST SQ > Von S. Vr-4

Update: Just got off the phone with MIT and my interconnects and speaker cables currently in use are not well suited for the 7B's ... So as soon as new ones get here back to testing.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2009, 07:11 pm by KimKman »

MOZ

« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2009, 07:31 am »
Ok maybe consider a 4B for the Stereo fronts and a 9B for the Center and 4 Surrounds.

That way when listening to Stereo you only have the 4B on.  Also the 9B will do a better job than an 875 bridged into the 4 Surrounds.

james

Thanks James,

I'm still speaking with my integrator friend, but it seems we'll go for the 4B + 9B.
You helped us make the choice anyway :wink:

samurai

« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2009, 06:09 pm »
Hi Guys, Quick little off topic question. 6BSST got seperate power supply for each channel but 4BSST has got only one power supply feeding 2 channel so Does that mean 6BSST will sound different and supperior to 4BSST?????

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2009, 06:19 pm »
Hi Guys, Quick little off topic question. 6BSST got seperate power supply for each channel but 4BSST has got only one power supply feeding 2 channel so Does that mean 6BSST will sound different and supperior to 4BSST?????

Hi,

All Bryston amps have a separate power supply for each channel.  In the 4B they are stacked.

james

12volt

« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2009, 07:49 pm »
Detail is incredible, vocals to die for. Yes vocals are so smoooth that it tracends tube character without the bloat.

You say you have aboout 100 hours of use. When did the above statement come into play? Also what interconnects are you using to the amplifier? I am not commenting yet on my new amps but I did have some issue with interconnects. At first using my standard ones (MIT's) I thought WhAt, where is the high end :) Then I switched of to a run of the mill set and there was everything. Now I will say mid bass on down kicks my *** up and down the street haha. Pretty awesome. Well with only 10 hours on the amps doing well so far. I do have a couple other pairs of interconnects on the way.

Right now in my test setup Theta Basic II > Theta ProGen Va > ARC LS22 - 7BSST SQ > Von S. Vr-4

Update: Just got off the phone with MIT and my interconnects and speaker cables currently in use are not well suited for the 7B's ... So as soon as new ones get here back to testing.

After about 50 hours it started to open up.  I am using Straight Wire Serenades in a balanced mode from CD to preamp  to amp. These are fairly old cables well broken in. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2009, 10:21 pm »
James,

Just wanted to drop you a short note about the new 4BSST2 I purchased from you a few weeks ago and to thank you again.    It's Great!  I am really enjoying this amp and it has opened another widow when compared to my previous amplifier. 

I thoroughly enjoy the mid range and vocals are quite effortless with no hard edges and a delicacy that is difficult to describe.  This amp sounds more like a tube amp (oxymoron here) with great dynamics and a better sound stage.  The speakers really do disappear, impressive.  I am in total disbelief that this is SS amp.   It seems that I have a totally new system.

I have it paired with a Audio Research LS17 preamp and if anyone ever asks you your opinion about the AR, it is very compatible, and a great combo.  I can't wait until I can put 500 hours on the amp.  It gets sweeter every time I listen.

Keep up the great work and let me know if you ever need anything from Sim2.

Best Regards
Lou Kerti
Sim2 USA
lkerti@sim2usa.com

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 28 May 2009, 04:28 pm »
Sent: 20 May 2009 07:28
Subject: Bryston acolade

Comment from Simple Minds Producer Jez Coad after taking delivery of Bryston 4B SST Pro amp to drive his PMC IB2S 3way monitors in his SE London Studio.

"The amp sounds awesome .... really! I won't get over the shock of spending so much moola for weeks, but it's worth every penny?

Ian"

Ian Downs
UK Sales Manager
PMC Limited

Michael 8

« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2009, 01:03 am »
I have had my new 4B Squared in my system for about two weeks with approx. 100 hours total time on it. I must say that this is one amazing amp!  Way to go James/Bryston!  I replaced what I thought was a great amp to begin with, McIntosh MC275IV.  I don't miss it at all. 

The new 4B Squared throws an amazing stage.  Height, width and depth are amazing.  Detail is incredible, vocals to die for. Yes vocals are so smoooth that it tracends tube character without the bloat. Power to no extreme and the amplifer does not change character whether you play soft or loud, never heard an amplifier like this in my system. It seems as though it has unlimitless power and even after driving it hard with 86db speakers it is barely warm to the touch.  The end of my sound room is now a stage from top to bottom, side to side. 

My little lovely, with better ears than I,  cannot fathom that this is a transisitor amp.  We have tried many SS amps over the years and rejected every one of them, many even more costly than the Bryston, double the  money in fact.  Don't take my word for it, try one in your system.  It is a lot of amp for the money and in my opinion a bargin compared to other competitive brands availalble.

Happy to read the above.  I just received my 4BSST2 today.  A bit more dynamic than my previous Musical Fidelity A5.  I was told that it takes a while to break the 4Bsst2 in.  Have you noticed any improvement in sound since you began using it?

Initial impressions: Much improved clarity over the 4BST which I owned before several Musical Fidelitys.  Dynamically excellent. More upfront than the MFs.  Plenty of power for a fairly realistic piano rendition.  Moby Grape's Omaha was very impressive.  Have to watch the loudness though.  This amp has not clipped yet!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2009, 09:24 pm »
I clipped my 4BSST twice...but that's with the volume all the way up (on my BP6P!) Not bad at all!

MOZ

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jun 2009, 11:34 pm »
Hi James,

Got my brand new 9B-SST2 on five channels today.
What a beauty, incredible look, it's just a perfect design and it's a champ on the audio side !  :thumb:
Hope to get a 4B-SST2 as soon as i can...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 5 Jun 2009, 12:10 am »
Hi James,

Got my brand new 9B-SST2 on five channels today.
What a beauty, incredible look, it's just a perfect design and it's a champ on the audio side !  :thumb:
Hope to get a 4B-SST2 as soon as i can...
'

Terrific - ENJOY!

james

MOZ

« Reply #34 on: 5 Jun 2009, 08:34 am »
Here is a picture of the 9B SST2 among with a 4B ST (sorry for quality, iPhone !).

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #35 on: 5 Jun 2009, 08:47 am »
Looks good.

crimsondonkey

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jun 2009, 07:52 pm »
Not a lot of ventilation there Moz, I hope you don't crank it up!  :rock:

MOZ

« Reply #37 on: 5 Jun 2009, 09:29 pm »
The installation is not finished yet (i'm waiting for my 4 surrounds speakers to use the extra 4 channels)...
So not a lot of heat right now !
Anyway, i plane to give a good 1,5' - 2' empty space up for both amps and when working the back of the rack is open and then air can flow...
It should be allright.
My Lexicon MC12 is doing a lot of heat also (just up the 4B ST)... even in standby position :roll:

MOZ

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jun 2009, 03:37 pm »
Well, i just ordered a brand new 4B SST2... to go along with my Revel Studio and 9B SST2 !
I couldn't wait...  :oops:

danman

« Reply #39 on: 8 Jun 2009, 05:12 pm »
That's great! You're going to love it aa