PRO vs NON PRO 4B SST2

1ZIP

PRO vs NON PRO 4B SST2
« on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:48 am »
Is the only difference between the PRO and NON PRO versions the selectable level control? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: PRO vs NON PRO 4B SST2
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2016, 01:16 am »
Is the only difference between the PRO and NON PRO versions the selectable level control?

Hi

Cosmetics are different as Pro only comes in Black Rack-Mount faceplate versions and the gain controls as you said.

I usually recommend the Consumer if you want the simplest circuit path (no gain controls in the circuit) and the Pro if you need to adjust the gain.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2016, 02:22 am »
I guess the black 19" could be changed to a 17" silver if one wanted.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2016, 11:52 am »
James,

the 875 amp is silver and has no rack mount faceplate.

why does this amp has gain controls?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2016, 12:05 pm »
James,

the 875 amp is silver and has no rack mount faceplate.

why does this amp has gain controls?

al.

Given that it was conceived as a Zone amp the gain controls were considered important to the overall design.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2016, 06:33 pm »
Hi

Cosmetics are different as Pro only comes in Black Rack-Mount faceplate versions and the gain controls as you said.

I usually recommend the Consumer if you want the simplest circuit path (no gain controls in the circuit) and the Pro if you need to adjust the gain.

james

1.  With the PRO level set at 0, I'm assuming you essentially have a consumer version, just an extra circuit.

2.  4B SST2 PRO, serial number 007669 equates to what Manuf. date?  The box is sealed with only the serial # showing. 

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2016, 07:34 pm »
1.  With the PRO level set at 0, I'm assuming you essentially have a consumer version, just an extra circuit.

2.  4B SST2 PRO, serial number 007669 equates to what Manuf. date?  The box is sealed with only the serial # showing. 

Thanks

Hi

1. Yes the signal goes through the pot.

2. I would have to look up the serial number for you to give you the build date - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2016, 05:28 pm »
Hi

james
Would there be greater loss of sound quality due to the gain controls ,(if any ),using  the pro over the C series ?  I ask because I have always liked the look of the pro in my set up. :scratch:

1ZIP

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2016, 07:57 pm »
I was thinking the same thing when i considered a PRO.  But my guess was there is very little if any effect and that Bryston would have made necessary changes to ensure that the performance at least matched the consumer version at 0db.  Then again…