new to the forum....and a quick bryston technical query

LesT73

Hi,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself, before asking questions!

I have a couple of technical questions in relation to a second hand 4B SST I have just taken delivery of.  When i turned it on for the first time, it very quickly shutdown with an amber light showing on the right channel (thermal shutdown?).  The right side fins were also too hot to touch.  I left it for a few minutes, turned back on, and it seems to be working fine now.  Any ideas?  Perhaps this happened because it wa straight out of the box?  Also, when I now power the unit on there is a loud audible buzzing/humming sound for a second while the unit powers up and stablises, then both green lights go on.  Is this sound normal for this unit?  I want to ensure that there is no fault with the amp.

I have another question (sorry!) in relation to spade connectors for use with this amp.  Can you tell me whether standard 6mm or 8mm spades will fit into the spade plug openings?  The Bryston ones pictured on their website seem to be a bit wider than this (total width), and I wanted to ensure that I could terminate my speaker cable with separate, non-Bryston,  spade plugs bought in the UK.  I should also note that I will be biwiring, so the banana plug slots will be used at the same time.

I'd really appreciate some input on this from others who may be more experience with Bryston than I am!
Cheers.
Les.

Robin1

Re: new to the forum....and a quick bryston technical query
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:23 pm »
Hi Les
the buzz click sound you talk about sounds the same as my 4bsst. I think that's pretty normal. The high heat and shutdown would worry me . Mine runs a little warm...would never say hot. Hopefully someone has some thoughts on that

Robin

1oldguy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:31 pm »
As for the two 7b sst2 that I use they run very cool.I would get it checked out for sure.

LesT73

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2012, 04:43 pm »
Thanks for the replies, both.  I should add that the unit tripped out only after the very first switch on, but it was clearly too hot to touch.  Very strange.  It seems to be running fine now, just a bit warm.  I'm obviously just concerned incase there may be something more serious going on that someone has encountered before.  Hopefully others can input.

Thanks again.

sfraser

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2012, 08:31 pm »
Could it be possible that you had a high impedance short, such as a couple of strands of speaker wire touching across the terminals either at the back of the amp or speakers? Perhaps they burnt open, or perhaps were separated after the amp went into protection mode, as you likely moved things around as you  double checked your connections at that point?

Good Luck and welcome to the forum

Scott

LesT73

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2012, 09:06 pm »
No, I don't think that's the case, but to give an update, it seems that periodically, the right channel seems to be overheating and causing a shutdown.  It is very hot to the touch on the right hand fins when this happens.  The left hand side, on the other hand, is nowhere near as hot when this happens.  In fact, the right hand channel seem sto be runnign hotter at all times.  Has anyone encountered this on first switch on, as this seems to be the time it happens most?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2012, 09:42 pm »
hi, Les!

welcome to the forum :green:

i have a 3B SST² and a 4B SST. the 4B is always warmer than the 3B. however...if one channel is hotter than the other i'd say it is time to send the amp in for service. may it be a "first switch on" or not. the buzzing noise instead (when you turn the amp on) is normal as  far as exactly this noise does not appears again and again once you turned the amp on. and yes, 8mm spades are ok. in any case...Bryston is famous for its great customer service and they will fix it in no time if needed.

happy listening!

al.

p.s.: would you report back your experience with bi-wired amp/speakers?!? would be cool. thanks.

SoundGame

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2012, 11:33 pm »
Alexone is correct on the spades, from experience, I'm sure.  Bryston stipulates the following:

Post diameter is 5/16" (8mm ), lug width 5/8” (16 mm).

So that means the inner gap of the forks on the plug is 8mm (minimum) and the outer width of the fork should not exceed 16mm.

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2012, 02:20 am »
I have a couple of technical questions in relation to a second hand 4B SST I have just taken delivery of.

Sorry, I'm editing my reply because I didn't understand the meaning of 'take delivery of', hence my opinion was nonsense.

I apologize.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2012, 02:35 pm by Fernando »

LesT73

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2012, 07:29 am »
Apologies if this sounds like a stupid question in relation to this issue, but could it be related to the fact it is a 220V unit, and it's being used in the UK (although the buyer did say it was a 240V unit)?  I realise the UK supply is rated similarly, if not exactly, 220V.  I am, of course, using a correct UK power lead.

Thanks again for everyones input on this.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2012, 11:34 am »
Hi Les!

I doubt it has anything to do with the voltage. I live across the pond in the Netherlands, we have 230 V here, and mine does not get hot. It does get warm to the touch after having been playing for a full day at background level (radio). When used at annoy-a-neighbor levels it does get hot, but not so that you'll burn yourself.

LesT73

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2012, 06:26 pm »
Ok, I've been working at home today and pushed the amp hard all day listening to music.  Not one issue.  Switched it off for a couple of hours, then switched back on, and it tripped out straight away.  As it happens, there's a buzzing which increases in volume before it trips, and it's only the right hand channel.  This becomes very hot. Seems to happen when first switched on for some reason.  Bu it's now working fine after it's been run for 10 - 15 minutes.  The right hand fins feel exactly the same temperature as the left hand side.  Beside the fact that there may be something really strange about the electrics in our house, does anyone have any ideas?  Very frustrating!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2012, 07:31 pm »
Les,

the amp is still covered under its warranty if purchased through an authorized dealer - so nothing to really worry about. but i can understand your frustration...

and i think it's not a matter of the electrics in your house in general.

al.

sfraser

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2012, 08:05 pm »
Les,

the amp is still covered under its warranty if purchased through an authorized dealer - so nothing to really worry about. but i can understand your frustration...

and i think it's not a matter of the electrics in your house in general.

al.

I believe what alexone means it is still under warranty if it was "originally" purchased through an authorized dealer.

cheers,