New lower priced Bryston ‘IS Series’ BIT Product

tim92gts

Re: New lower priced Bryston ‘IS Series’ BIT Product
« Reply #80 on: 6 Jun 2012, 11:43 am »
Hi - we are looking at offering the BIT in 220 and 240 volt versions - so far there has not been much demand outside North America.

james

Hi James,
any update on the 240 Volt versions?
I'd be looking for a price for a pair to feed the 14BSSTs.
I haven't seen the system demand over 2.8 kVA so a pair
of 8 Amp units would be ideal.
Tim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #81 on: 6 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm »
Hi James,
any update on the 240 Volt versions?
I'd be looking for a price for a pair to feed the 14BSSTs.
I haven't seen the system demand over 2.8 kVA so a pair
of 8 Amp units would be ideal.
Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes the 240 volt units are available and I know PMC have been looking into ordering some for the UK. Check with them and I may be able to get some to you next shipment.

james

tim92gts

« Reply #82 on: 6 Jun 2012, 02:10 pm »
Hi Tim,

Yes the 240 volt units are available and I know PMC have been looking into ordering some for the UK. Check with them and I may be able to get some to you next shipment.

james

Hi James,
that could be good news, do you have a link to the specs for the UK range?
I might need to save up for a while i suspect!
Thanks
Tim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 6 Jun 2012, 03:10 pm »
Hi James,
that could be good news, do you have a link to the specs for the UK range?
I might need to save up for a while i suspect!
Thanks
Tim

Hi Tim,

The specs are on the previous page under LIT.
I can email you the PDF if you contact me at - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Vipers

« Reply #84 on: 6 Jun 2012, 08:54 pm »
James, Just to clarify, my system is 2x7B's, SP3, BDA-1, BDP-1, BCD-1, BHA-1 soon, making 7 items in total, if I were to go with a BIT 16, would this be my best option? and would this give surge protection to my whole system including the 7B's as well as a clean supply, basically optimising my system?

I guess as there are only 6 outputs though I'd have to maybe sacrifice the BCD-1 to just plug into the wall socket as this is my least used component nowadays.

Thanks,

SHV

« Reply #85 on: 6 Jun 2012, 10:03 pm »
James, Just to clarify, my system is 2x7B's, SP3, BDA-1, BDP-1, BCD-1, BHA-1 soon, making 7 items in total, if I were to go with a BIT 16, would this be my best option? and would this give surge protection to my whole system including the 7B's as well as a clean supply, basically optimising my system?

I guess as there are only 6 outputs though I'd have to maybe sacrifice the BCD-1 to just plug into the wall socket as this is my least used component nowadays.

Thanks,

I have 17-20 things connected to my BIT 20 including about 2500 watts of Bryston amplification and two 18" Velodyne SWs.  No problems.

Steve

Vipers

« Reply #86 on: 7 Jun 2012, 08:07 am »
I have 17-20 things connected to my BIT 20 including about 2500 watts of Bryston amplification and two 18" Velodyne SWs.  No problems.

Steve

Blimey Steve, you don't muck about do you :o

Out of curiosity how do you connect that many items when you only have 10 power outlets?

tim92gts

« Reply #87 on: 7 Jun 2012, 09:52 am »
Hi Tim,

The specs are on the previous page under LIT.
I can email you the PDF if you contact me at - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Thanks,
found it.
Tim

SHV

« Reply #88 on: 7 Jun 2012, 04:26 pm »
Blimey Steve, you don't muck about do you :o

Out of curiosity how do you connect that many items when you only have 10 power outlets?

I live in the US mid-West where the weather can be very electrically active, especially in the summer;   purchased the BIT mostly for surge/isolation protection.  (no help for those odd looking funnel clouds, however)  I have three heavy duty Belkin multi-outlet boxes to add additional outlets. 

Steve

Vipers

« Reply #89 on: 7 Jun 2012, 09:18 pm »
I have three heavy duty Belkin multi-outlet boxes to add additional outlets. 
Steve

Thanks Steve, that is something I'll have to look into as thanks to the large UK plugs on our BIT 16 we only get 6 outputs and I've filled them +1 already.

SHV

« Reply #90 on: 7 Jun 2012, 09:32 pm »
Thanks Steve, that is something I'll have to look into as thanks to the large UK plugs on our BIT 16 we only get 6 outputs and I've filled them +1 already.

The other option that I have done is to make my own using multi gang electrical boxes, high grade outlets and 12 gauge wire.  When I decided to plug everything into the BIT 20, I used the four, 10 outlet Belkin boxes that I had sitting around unused.  (For scientific accuracy, I just counted the stuff plugged into the BIT 20; twenty-five. 

Steve

tim92gts

« Reply #91 on: 8 Jun 2012, 07:07 am »
The other option that I have done is to make my own using multi gang electrical boxes, high grade outlets and 12 gauge wire.  When I decided to plug everything into the BIT 20, I used the four, 10 outlet Belkin boxes that I had sitting around unused.  (For scientific accuracy, I just counted the stuff plugged into the BIT 20; twenty-five. 

Steve

I'm beginning to realise why they all have so many sockets now!
I'm thinking of a pair of BIT 8s with one plug into each.
Don't think the cheaper IS series have the full surge protection so do we have any indications on pricing yet?

Probably could manage with a smaller unit doing surge only for the cdp etc then use the optical out from the
computer and we're fully isolated.

Tim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #92 on: 8 Jun 2012, 10:47 am »
Hi Folks,

Be aware if you add a 'power bar' or some such like product to get more connections do not plug your amplifiers into the power bar.  One of the advantages of the BIT is a very low output impedance and with amplifiers that is a really good thing (low impedance - high current).  So if possible you want the power amp as close as possible to the BIT.

james

SHV

« Reply #93 on: 8 Jun 2012, 03:35 pm »
Hi Folks,

Be aware if you add a 'power bar' or some such like product to get more connections do not plug your amplifiers into the power bar.  One of the advantages of the BIT is a very low output impedance and with amplifiers that is a really good thing (low impedance - high current).  So if possible you want the power amp as close as possible to the BIT.

james

That is the way that I have my stuff hooked up with 5 amps direct to the BIT and more physically remote front end equipment on heavy gauge multi-outlets.

Steve

tim92gts

« Reply #94 on: 8 Jun 2012, 04:56 pm »
Any chance of a guide price for BIT8s and a BIT4 over the weekend?
RRP would be a good starting point.
UK spec.
Even Torus prices are quite hard to find.

Tim

Vipers

« Reply #95 on: 9 Jun 2012, 02:00 pm »
I spoke to Tom from PMC on Thursday and he is on the case so hopefully not too much longer to wait on pricing for the UK.

Marius

« Reply #96 on: 9 Jun 2012, 02:30 pm »
Hi James,

Could you please explain, for us non-techies, what this means, why this is? I've got my 28b's in a power bar, (actually 2, the one plugged into the other) together with all my other equipment, on a separate 20amp fuse/wall socket, and wouldn't know or notice why that shouldn't be the way to plug them up. Sounds terrific....

Seem to remember the 28's don't benefit from the BIT? Soundwise that is?

Marius

Hi Folks,

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #97 on: 9 Jun 2012, 03:02 pm »
Hi James,

Could you please explain, for us non-techies, what this means, why this is? I've got my 28b's in a power bar, (actually 2, the one plugged into the other) together with all my other equipment, on a separate 20amp fuse/wall socket, and wouldn't know or notice why that shouldn't be the way to plug them up. Sounds terrific....

Seem to remember the 28's don't benefit from the BIT? Soundwise that is?

Marius

Hi Marius,

Before we were developing the BIT products (Torus) we asked ourselves what would be the perfect power source for a large amplifier. Answer - a really low impedance/high current source.  The advantage of that is on transients the amplifier can deliver huge instantaneous power when needed.  The bigger the amplifier the more it seemed to matter in our testing. 

So what was the best way to accomplish this - a huge transformer :thumb:  What is important though is that you need an Isolation transformer - not just a filter transformer. There is a Primary and a Secondary and you are working off the magnetic field between the two halfs. That way you are never in Series with the outside world. We also found we had to increase the size of the transformer about 1.5 times the rating it required in order for the sound not to become a bit 'sluggish' . So the BIT transformers are double the size needed for a specific rating - EX - the 20 amp unit has a 40 amp transformer. It is a much more expensive way to go but it works!

Now once we looked at that we decided that maybe we could offer the instantaneous current draw application to the amplifiers directly by redesigning the internal transformer to have the same characteristics. So we did, and the newer 7B's, 14B's and 28B-SST's have those type of transformers internally installed.

So you are correct that one of the main features of the BIT is already part of the larger amplifiers design.

james

Marius

« Reply #98 on: 9 Jun 2012, 03:11 pm »
Hmm, thanks James, I'm trying to get this,

(I feel a viper under the grass though, as we say in Holland...)

You say "one of the main features" is already part of the bigger amps. The others would be, specifically for the 28b? (I ask because i a week it is fathers day, you see.)

Marius

Now once we looked at that we decided that maybe we could offer the instantaneous current draw application to the amplifiers directly by redesigning the internal transformer to have the same characteristics. So we did, and the newer 7B's, 14B's and 28B-SST's have those type of transformers internally installed.

So you are correct that one of the main features of the BIT is already part of the larger amplifiers design.

james

tim92gts

« Reply #99 on: 9 Jun 2012, 03:19 pm »
That is good news!
i suspect the full BITs would have been beyond my budget anyway.
Now i just need a good budget surge protector to keep lightning strikes away,
probably easiest to do that in the consumer unit for the room.
Many thanks for the explanation James.
Tim