ATC and Bryston

zoom25

ATC and Bryston
« on: 8 Feb 2016, 12:09 am »
Anyone here using Bryston amps to drive passive ATCs? How do you find the combo?

I see PMC and Bryston mentioned a lot together and Barefoots using Bryston, but not so much with ATC, so got me wondering...

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: ATC and Bryston
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2016, 06:19 pm »
  I can say that my older model JBLs with  the 4Bst is a match made in heaven :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2016, 06:38 pm »
Yeah the 4B versions (SST2/SST3) will be on my list when I consider power amps.

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2016, 09:04 pm »
Nobody else?

pmcd

« Reply #4 on: 29 Feb 2016, 10:51 pm »
I just ordered a set of Classic SCM50 SL passives and will be powering them with 7BSST2's, BP26, BDA1 and BIT20 they are apparently  3 weeks away from UK I'm in Canada.
I will let you know my thoughts if you have not already pulled the plug on another amp.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2016, 12:37 am »
Anyone here using Bryston amps to drive passive ATCs? How do you find the combo?

I see PMC and Bryston mentioned a lot together and Barefoots using Bryston, but not so much with ATC, so got me wondering...

I have SCM-19's, and I can tell you they love power.  Bryston amps should go well with ATC's, as they are not a difficult load, just a bit power hungry.

pmcd

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2016, 11:07 pm »
Nobody else?

So Zoom25        Did you go Bryston or what ???

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2016, 05:38 am »
So Zoom25        Did you go Bryston or what ???

I ended up going slightly differently. I went with Amphion One15 + Amphion 100 amp + Amphion speaker cables. A total package. Kept it with the studio gear side of things. They are passives, but each component is designed and picked by the manufacturer, so no guesswork involved in matching.

It is beyond wonderful. Definitely ATC level IMO (in fact it might be even more engaging than ATC overall). I was very tempted with active or passive SCM20 mk2. The actives were slightly more expensive. The passives were doable, but didn't want to deal with third party amp matching.

I'm listening in a 1.0 m triangle at the desk and they work perfectly at this range. I'm at a loss of words. At a similar size, there is LS50 which I thought were okay, but the One15 are at least 2-3 leagues ahead of them.

I think my next move will be to get something that is bordering on midfield/largefield. ATCs will definitely be on that list....or there is also Amphion Two18+Base25...these prices are beyond insane! All the things we put up with  :duh:

pmcd

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2016, 11:00 pm »
Thanks Zoom