Knock Knock: Is anybody home at norh?

linkweewee

Knock Knock: Is anybody home at norh?
« on: 3 Sep 2007, 06:51 pm »
have some questions and my emails have not been answered in a week. does norh still sell audio gear?

William

Re: Knock Knock: Is anybody home at norh?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2007, 02:37 pm »
I just purchased an SE-9 integrated amp and a pair of Prism 5.2 speakers which arrived earlier this week, so Norh is certainly still selling gear.  They are ususally pretty good about returning emails, but sometimes it takes them a few days to respond.  If you haven't heard from them yet, I'd send another email.

linkweewee

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2007, 09:10 pm »
OK thanks-good to hear

lshirley88

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2007, 02:46 pm »
I just purchased an SE18 from them.  Michael Barnes wrote me after the 4th time I sent a request for information, and said they were having trouble with their email to me being kicked back.  While it's possible this is true, I had recieved a response earlier this summer from Namphung.  My guess is the problem is with their own email, or simply the fact that time flows differently at Norh.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2007, 09:30 pm »
I thought MB had nothing to do with nOrh nowadays? :scratch:

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2007, 03:08 am »
I guess if you write him 4 times he may respond :)

RuSsMaN

• Polk Audio Rep
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2007, 01:31 am »
I hope all is well, I have a need for a preamp and dropped them a line on the ACA 2b (always wanted to play with one) last week - I've heard nothing back.  The news section was updated Oct 2007 with a new SE 6L6 amp.

Marbles!

Cheers,
Russ

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:30 pm »
Some issues are that although Michael Barnes has sold the company to the employees, they are the friends he originally formed the company to help. Of course the company was a hobby, fun, and a service to audophiles, and actually did quite well at times. Now that Michael has formed nOhrTech as a serious money maker for him, his employees are also those same nOrh employees who now own nOrh. He of course helps with customer communications when he can...keep in mind many of the employees may travel for norTech, and have 2 jobs.

Unfortunately the audio industry is a very tough industry. The money is being made with nOhrTech. Maybe someday the situation will be more to our benefit  :) I agree with Marbles, my whole 2-channel is nOrh, and much of my HT system.

rw101

« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2008, 12:37 pm »
They may be home, but will they come to the door?

I bought a Norh tube amp, had it shipped to my home in the UK. About 4 months later there was a crackle and a puff of smoke, and I was one valve down.

Emailed Norh. No reply.

I had the valve replaced and the thing overhauled. The audio engineer said the chassis was one of the most difficult to access he had come across.

Four months later, another puff of smoke. Now I know zero about electronics, but I can recognize the scorch marks of chronic overheating as well as the next fellow. This amp was clearly not properly adapted to UK mains voltage, although Norh claim otherwise.

Emailed Norh. No reply.

Even if they had replied, shipping back to Thailand for repair would have been prohibitive -- the SE18 weighs a ton. So back to the repair shop, this time with voltage adaptations.

Oddly, they were very quick on the reply when I was buying. 

I like the look and the sound of this thing. But as a customer, I don't think I could recommend the experience.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2008, 01:04 pm by rw101 »

Bhasi

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2008, 03:05 pm »
I bought an SE9 some years ago.  Worked beautifully for a year.  Had to store it for a month while redecorating.  When re-installed, one channel was humming.  Did all obvious checks.  MB responded promptly by sending a replacement.  No problems subsequently - though it was ousted by a SI T-amp a while ago.  Very impressed by the customer care.

So much so, in fact, that ordered the phono-pre.  Arrived damaged - transformer loose inside.   MB worked with me and ended up sending me no less than 3 (THREE) subsequent replacements, all of which either arrived damaged or went phut! on power-up.  Again, very impressed with the service but less so with the product.  Saw an identical-looking unit marketed under the Viola brand-name on a visit to Thailand some time ago.   In short, feel they were let down by their OEM suppliers, so would be very wary of, i.e. unlikely to, buy electronics from them again.  However, seven years on, still delighted with my SM6.1's, silver interconnects  and CD's.

Good company, interesting products, entertaining News pages - when they appear.  Really hope they can keep it going.

rw101

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2008, 03:44 pm »
I too liked their informal approach - at first. After buying I have learned that you need a fully functioning business as well as a pleasant approach. Newsletter pictures of Michael Barnes having fun don't make up for my SE18 breaking down all the time!