Which antivirus you have?

ctviggen

Re: Which antivirus you have?
« Reply #40 on: 4 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm »

2.  Keep your Internet browser updated -- Whether you use IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or whatever, if you are using an out-of-date Internet browser, you are allowing yourself to be vulnerable to infection (see #1 above).  Keep in mind, remaining up-to-date on your Internet browser does not just mean downloading security updates -- make sure your browser is the most current release version.

I usually do this, but this is sometimes problematic.  For instance, some of my computers have Firefox 5; others have Firefox 4.  I like Firefox 4 better, as "stop autoplay" (prevents flash from automatically starting) works on 4 but does not work on 5.  Also, I think this trend toward removing the menu bar is crap for my uses.  It just takes longer to find what I want to find.  Granted, you can enable the menu bar, but it took me a while to determine how to do that. 

Trader7878

« Reply #41 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:34 am »
Free version of Avast.  So far, seems to be working fine.  Use the latest firefox for web browsing and surfing.

skunark

« Reply #42 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:46 am »
clamav linux + mac osx server   -- used with services and cron jobs
clamwin windows - it a passive antivirus scanner, meaning you need to do the scans or set up with applications that you use.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #43 on: 16 Apr 2012, 07:30 am »
Just wanted to shout out for ccleaner program.
Decided to download it, and it fixed up my cookies. And the REG fixer took out tons of dead connections.
Great.

Airborn

« Reply #44 on: 16 Apr 2012, 08:23 am »
Kaspersky has always done well for antivirus for me. Also use Spybot search and destroy.

tomytoons

« Reply #45 on: 16 Apr 2012, 12:42 pm »
The only thing I run (2 years now) on Win 7 Pro/ 64, is Microsoft Security Essentials, CCleaner is also very good as is Malwarebytes. These are all you need, never had a problem. I got rid of all the major Virus Subscription$ long ago although free Avast is also very good.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #46 on: 16 Apr 2012, 01:54 pm »
AVG 2011, Google Chrome, Malwarebytes, Zone Alarm.  Never a problem with this simple setup.

mhconley

« Reply #47 on: 16 Apr 2012, 02:15 pm »
Norton Security Suite because it is free to Comcast/XFINITY subscribers.  I use IE9 exclusively.  I refuse to use Comcast's "Constant Guard from XFINITY" suite as it replaces MSIE with an XFINITY branded IE browser and who knows what else.  Finding Comcast's Norton Security Suite download link is a little convoluted but worth it.

I also occasionally run Malwarebytes just to clean up what Norton may have missed and CCleaner to clean-up any other cr@p.

Martin

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #48 on: 16 Apr 2012, 03:11 pm »
Just wanted to shout out for ccleaner program.
Decided to download it, and it fixed up my cookies. And the REG fixer took out tons of dead connections.
Great.
+1
Avast, Malwarebytes, Defraggler, Acronis True Image

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #49 on: 17 Apr 2012, 12:18 am »
Kaspersky has always done well for antivirus for me. Also use Spybot search and destroy.

Kaspersky is a nice piece of software.
I ran into issues (bsod) last year and i had to uninstall it from my computer.  :|
Currently using AVG 2012.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #50 on: 17 Apr 2012, 01:28 am »
Kaspersky is a nice piece of software.
I ran into issues (bsod) last year and i had to uninstall it from my computer.  :|
Currently using AVG 2012.
[/quote

Kaspersky for the lest 6 years haven't had a problem

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #51 on: 20 Apr 2012, 12:29 pm »
Google and downloading pictures just invites all sorts of trouble.
I was back looking at Nudibranchs (little sea slugs) and BLAM!! the bad stuff started up. It changed my page, added half a dozen bad things in a tenth of a second.
Had to unplug fron the net to get the antivirus to be able to clean up!! (the stuff just kept downloading itself)
I love being able to use Google images. But hate the fact they totally do not protect anyone from malicious software connected to the pictures. And ALL sorts of it claims to be various 'protective'
stuff!!
Oh well.. I just feel sorry for not so bright folks who want to look at pictures on Google images.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #52 on: 28 Jul 2012, 01:27 pm »
I WAS using the AVG free version (2011 and 2012) until I had to pay Microsoft $99 to remote fix my computer.
AVG originally said they would take pity on me and do it for $56 but then the price jumped to $129 and they launched into this frantic sales pitch which would end up costing $299 for two computers.

7 viruses were found on my PC (which AVG missed) and it took them hours to get rid of the AVG which was in everything.  That program REALLY did not want to get uninstalled!
The guys at MicroSoft were great to deal with as the whole process took them 6 hours - I would have fixed it with a big hammer.

I have to reload a portion of Windows XP as they were unable to fix everything - I get the CHKDSK bit when I reboot and then tens of thousands of screwed up files scroll past.

My wife's AVG paid subscription is getting ready to expire and that is going to be replaced with MS Security Essentials.
She's getting some sort of weird CHKDSK messages and I find the timing of the AVG subscription ending and these error messages to be really suspicious.

kgturner

« Reply #53 on: 28 Jul 2012, 02:08 pm »
I use Avast (free version) and run Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and Defraggler on a regular basis. I used to use AVG but found it to be way to spotty after catching a couple of virus/trojan horses.

Kevin T

PSB Guy

« Reply #54 on: 28 Jul 2012, 02:22 pm »
Microsoft Security Essentials is all I've used since it was introduced. Works well and doesn't bog down the system like some of the others. I'll be switching to Mac soon, I guess I'll need another option.

Cornelis

BPoletti

« Reply #55 on: 28 Jul 2012, 03:14 pm »
Microsoft Security Essentials is all I've used since it was introduced. Works well and doesn't bog down the system like some of the others. I'll be switching to Mac soon, I guess I'll need another option.

Cornelis

MSE is pretty much what I used in day-to-day operation.  I also have Malwarebytes free version installed for detailed scans when I think it's necessary.

tx2sturgis

• Texas Panhandle
« Reply #56 on: 25 Mar 2015, 03:22 pm »
Linux.

8)

charmerci

« Reply #57 on: 26 Mar 2015, 03:48 am »
I did use AVG free but now I use Avast Free with Firefox. No problems.

Randy Myers

« Reply #58 on: 29 Aug 2016, 03:44 am »
In my view Kaspersky, BitDefender, and Norton are heads and shoulders above the rest.  I have tried most of them as an IT professional going on 30 years.  Norton was one of the first and then ran into hard times.  A complete re-write in 2009 put them back on top (in my view and most high end PC mags such as Maximum PC).  I use Norton 360 and MalwareBytes on all five of my computers.  I use the paid version since it gives real time protection.

Guy 13

« Reply #59 on: 29 Aug 2016, 04:37 am »
In my old desktop computer, I have Norton.
In my ASUS laptop the sales man told me that Window 10
is supplied with a (lifetime?) antivirus ?

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.