VMPS Super Tower III help?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: VMPS Super Tower III help?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2019, 09:41 pm »
Tank you all MANY MANY times over for your help. Ok as you stated above. Enough with the noise. Lets get down to business. Number 1 thing on the list. FAILED DRIVERS. I need either a replacement for the white poly coned 15 inch Goldwood woofer OR I need to get this one repaired. If I can't get a white exact duplicate then I need to replace both so they match. One of the 12 inch has also failed. The issue with the 12 is that it is a dual voice coil speaker and the one in the other cabinet is a single voice coil and is good. It is my understanding that the single voice coil speaker is the correct one and the dual is not. SOOOOOO with that I am in need of a 12 inch that has a smooth black poly cone to match the good one I have.

Can't help you much with the above except to say I agree, more likely the single VC 12 is correct, DVC is not. 

I am desperate need of finding the correct location of the 12 ohm and the 24 ohm resistors that I found in shit system. In one cabinet there was a 12 ohm in series with one of the 10 inch speakers and a 24 ohm in parallel with that same speaker. In the other cabinet the resistor values were reversed. I am pretty sure it is not supposed to be that way. Are they even supposed to be there at all???

R12 is in series to the two parallel 10s.  R24 parallel across the ribbed 10.

I won't say Brian never made the exact error you describe (R's different L/R), but I don't recall him making such error, though that's not proof of anything either.  But this tends to increase my suspicion that this is a kit, not factory assembled. 

Back to the woofer wiring. I am still unclear on this. When you say the woofers should be in a series am I to understand you mean only the 15 and the 12??? And then wire these in parallel with the two 10 inch in series??? Or are you saying that I actually got it right by accident when I drew them out???

Is what you typed above equal to your diagram?  AFAIK your text matches your diagram and both are original.  You can see, even with all woofers being 8 ohm, the net impedance is a little higher than 8, maybe 10 ohm subtotal.  The woofers are in a series xo with the mids, so the total load for the woofers/mids is unknown, wonky phase angles I bet, especially w/the domes/planar. 

Tube amps always sounded weak/cloudy driving VMPS cone/dome systems, even 100W versions, likely for reasons I describe.  IMO the only amp to drive this thing is one making 400W+ @ 4 ohm, 2 ohm rated, 1 ohm capable, e.g. Hypex NCore.         

Oh just a little extra info concerning these speakers. The present owner relayed to me that when he connected them to two rather large(300W each) monoblocks, he was a bit underwhelmed because he expected more volume. He said they sounded lacking in volume and bass. He connected them to a much larger amp(1000W) and he said they performed better but still felt like it should not have taken that much power to drive them. I perdon't know that much about themsonally was under the impression that these speakers were very efficient but then again I do not know that much about them. I thought I had read a review somewhere that showed they would perform well without the need for huge amounts of power. Did I read it wrong? Or is there something else going on in these cabinets that I have not found yet?

Does anything indicate the person who shared their opinion above ever heard these things setup properly?  "Lacking bass" does not apply to STIII running and driven correctly.  Brian overstated sensitivity maybe even more than the industry standard.  A speaker can have an accurate spec of 92 dB, but if it has a 45 degree phase angle @ 110 Hz @ 2.5 ohm, it needs huge current or it's just gonna sound flat and weak and like crap.  Brian added 3 dB for each woofer, including the PR (a PR extends cut off but has zero effect on sensitivity).  That 15 is probably about 84-85 dB.  It might be OK to add 3 dB for the 12, but that's it.  Both 10s are mid-bass only, not low bass, especially the ribbed one, plus they are padded, so they barely increase sensitivity if at all.  Total is 89 dB tops.     

PR's have more fine step sizes to tune compared to a system with multiple ports.  But those finer steps are within a narrower band size for tuning.  A PR system can never achieve the effect of a sealed system; a multiple ported system equals a sealed system with all ports sealed.  In your case, a single 15PR costs a lot less than the required flared ports for such low tuning frequency.  When you exceed a certain mass on a PR, I don't know what happens to the bass tuning, but I know it's not good, and it is NOT equal to a sealed system.   

The classic PR formula is active woofer cone radiating surface area x2 = PR cone surface area.  You can see your formula is way off.  Check how closely Sandy Gross follows this formula (GoldenEar).  For years I suggested Brian switch to side-firing PR, which he eventually did in the RM50, his last model.

What size fishing weight is glued into your PRs?  Pretty sure original was 1 oz, with several inches of rope putty (might have been 2 oz).  What is your PR condition?

Are your domes Kevlar or fiberglass?  Sorry, but to me those Kevlar domes are from hell, can't stand them.  The glass domes I liked a lot.  I am not the only one surprised early WATT sported that Kevlar dome.   

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2019, 09:47 pm »
Hal, that's the plot after your mods, right?  IOW, that's not a stock VMPS STIII plot, right?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2019, 09:49 pm »
That is most likely the plot of the RM50 woofers impedance after they were wired correctly after arrival.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2019, 10:01 pm »
That is most likely the plot of the RM50 woofers impedance after they were wired correctly after arrival.

OK, thanks. 

Do you mean that is a plot of STIII total load w/one 15 active woofer replaced?  If yes, I'm happily surprised.  That seems to be a pretty easy load, no? 

If not, what is plotted in that diagram?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2019, 10:08 pm »
It is a VMPS RM50 speaker woofer impedance plot from the best of my memory, not STIII's.

Stimpy

« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2019, 11:11 pm »
Awesome guys!  Thanks so much for the assistance.  It seems Terry will now have everything he needs to get the S/T III's up and running. 

I truly appreciate all the info and support.  Even though Brian passed almost 7 years ago, the VMPS community still helps out one another.  A great thing to see, and a tribute to Big B.

T3GTerry

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2019, 06:14 am »
HAL ........ how can I contact you concerning the white 15 inch woofers and the 12 inch woofers? I am interested in buying them. Thank you sir.

T3GTerry

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2019, 07:36 am »
Ok I drew this up tonight for the upper mids, the 10s and the 12 and the 15. I am still not sure I am getting this right. Can someone look at this schem and tell me if this is correct? I believe this is correct where the 10 inch speakers and the resistors are concerned but I am still unsure of myself concerning the 12 and the 15. In this drawing I have the 12 and 15 in parallel with each other and then in a series with the two 10s which are also in a parallel with each other. I also tried to draw it out in a simpler manner so it could be easier to understand. Jeez I hope I am getting this right. Please forgive me if I am not getting this right.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2019, 07:57 am »
Your diagram Reply 28 is wrong.  Stimpy's diagram page 1 is correct. 

Bass xo drives:
Series circuit R12 + Ribbed 10 + smooth 10 (R24 parallels ribbed 10).

Bass xo drives:
Series circuit 12 + 15.

All drivers positive acoustic polarity. 

T3GTerry

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2019, 10:05 am »
Ok now that is what is confusing. All four drivers in a series??? In both cabinets all four drivers were attached to the same point. Connect all four drivers(10+10+12+15) in a series??? That makes no sense. All four of those drivers were tied to the heavy red and black(upgraded) wiring. Now I am really confoosed. Stimpys diagram is my original diagram that I passed on to him and I was just taking a wild guess at that. In that diagram I had the 12 and the 15 in a series and then paralleled with the two 10s which also were in a series. Let me draw it out like I originally had it and place the resistors in it and I will post it. I am trying to make darn sure I don't screw this up.

T3GTerry

« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2019, 10:24 am »
Ok James I have gone back to my original layout.The only thing of major difference from the one Stimpy copied over from AK is I cleaned it up quite a bit. But here it is with the resistors included. I tried to lay it out as it would be in the actual cabinet. I am sure there is no question concerning the upper mids as this is the way they were when I received the speakers.

T3GTerry

« Reply #31 on: 20 Nov 2019, 10:32 am »
James one other note. I did go back and look to make sure I stated correctly that the resistors had been installed incorrectly and I was right. They were as I stated earlier. Strange indeed.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2019, 11:53 am »
HAL ........ how can I contact you concerning the white 15 inch woofers and the 12 inch woofers? I am interested in buying them. Thank you sir.
Just PM me via AC to discuss the 15" woofers.

Stimpy

« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2019, 12:43 pm »
Just PM me via AC to discuss the 15" woofers.

I'm not sure if Terry has a high enough post count, to allow him to send PM's.   :?:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 20 Nov 2019, 12:54 pm »
Ok, sent him a PM.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 20 Nov 2019, 04:18 pm »

Terry,
Don't take this personally, not meant that way.  I won't waste my time on your latest diagram because I already stated post 7 is correct. 

T3GTerry

« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2019, 12:23 am »
HAL, i just sent you a reply to your message. Thanks to all of you.

T3GTerry

« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2019, 12:40 am »
James,  Thank you and all the others for the help you have provided. Hopefully I can return yhe favor some day. I will get these up and going and let you know how this turns out. Thanks again.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2019, 02:39 pm »
   I'm the friend HAL mentioned with the same STIIIs - from around 1990. I have a combined impedance/phase plot HAL made for the speakers a few years ago.  Here it is in hope of helping out.

By the way, I originally had a 250 watt per channel Soundcraftsmen amp - and that was sufficient to get them to very loud levels, with
truly outstanding bass.  I never turned it nearly all the way up.

Hope the impedance plot shows up. If not, I can get HAL, who knows all, to do the heavy lifting.

An update:

Avoosl found the date of the impedance plot as 2009.  This was when we installed the his Megawoofer upgrade.  That would make the plot the STIII's with the Megawoofers installed not his RM50's.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2019, 09:52 pm »
Here are the impedance plots of the white 15" and black 15" cone speakers that are here. 

The connectors on the white 15" speaker are broken off, but the tinsel leads are still fine.  Did the impedance plot with alligator clips connected to the tinsel leads.

Found the two 12" X3914 speakers in storage and will test them next. 

white cone:

Black cone: