Class D with Maggies

johnto

Class D with Maggies
« on: 19 May 2018, 02:00 pm »
Anyone using class D amp with Maggie's, what's your impression. Which Maggie's do you have, how is the sound compared to an a/b amp. They seems to have lots of watts is the current high enough
 I' ve called a few companies who were unable to provide this info.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Class D with Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2018, 03:03 pm »
  Class "D" with Maggies can work very well just depends on which class"D" I prefer a hybrid class "D" with Maggies. The Arion HS500 [40a current peak] to be exact. My favorite amp for the 3As is an Audio Research DR250 servo mk2 with 240W/ch, however an expensive choice. A/B amps are fine just need lots of Watts. For budget minded think Peachtree.
I use the Arion  with Analysis Planars as well.
  If you can go for it my ultimate choice is Lamm hybrid mono blocks.

charles

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2018, 03:07 pm »
Perhaps explore PS Audio M700s.  700w into 4 ohms and a "hybrid" design as well.  I had them running a fairly tough load into 4 ohm 87db speakers and they never even hinted of an issue.  I'm sure they would drive Maggies fine.  And the amps won't break the bank either....
https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-m700-power-amplifier/

Best of luck.....

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2018, 03:44 pm »
I very much enjoyed my 1.6’s with a class D Crown XLS1500. 

The guy who bought them from me was using a Wyred4sound class D amp. 

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2018, 05:35 pm »
I had a Peachtree Audio Nova 150, which successfully drove the Maggie 1.7i ,  without a hiccup, However with Maggies , it is not the wattage that matters, it's basically high  current, say around 45amp to 60 amps is ideal  :thumb:, I recently used a QuickSilver Tube Integrated( 20 watts per channel) with my Maggies  sounds very sweet .

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2018, 11:36 pm »
A while back I used a pair of Wyred4sound mAmps which used ICE modules on Magnepan 1.6s. I did not like the combination, but I didn't like those amps with any speakers I tried.

mfsoa

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2018, 10:01 pm »
My friend runs Digital Amp Cos. Maraschinos into 1.7s with excellent results.

KKM

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2018, 11:51 pm »
Paired Crown XLS2000 with a tubed AR pre and tubed CD player = most excellent.

steve k

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2018, 01:10 am »
I've been bi-amping a pair of IIIA's with a ClassDAudio 600 wpc amp on the bass and a ClassDAudio 400 wpc amp on the mid/highs for about 8 years now and I'm still really pleased with the sound. They're dead quiet, detailed and slightly on the warm (tubey) side. Bass is tight, mids are on the sweet side and the highs are clean. I don't want for power.

steve k

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2018, 01:17 pm »
I made a youtube video a while back of the Peachtree Nova (class D) driving the hell out of my 3.6s. I was shocked at how good it sounded. I had just scaled back by selling my Marchand crossover and was no longer going to biamp them, and the performance from this little integrated was amazing. This was just in an apartment setting at the time, but Peachtree liked the video so much they included it in their monthly dealer newsletter. Im no longer using it with the Maggies, but thats ONLY because I bought a house and went back to 5-channel Maggie HT.

GregDunn

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2018, 08:47 pm »
I'm quite happy using a Crown XLS1500.  One thing everyone with a Class D amp needs to remember is that these amps are capable of huge peak power output, but most of them will rapidly scale down their available output if fed a high level continuous signal.  The Crown DriveCore system, for example, will limit or compress a continuous signal which lasts more than a short period of time.  Seriously, though - you can't expect to put 1500 Watts into a Magneplanar for more than an instant without cooking something, so as long as the peaks are unrestricted, the fact that the amp can "only" put out 400-500 Watts for an extended period shouldn't be an issue.  For years people have recognized that the continuous power is generally not a concern for home audio; it's the peak power which can be delivered without clipping. My Tympani 1C system is one of the few for which Magnepan made a blanket statement of no maximum power limitation, yet they wisely urge the user to keep 2A fuses in the line (roughly 30-40 continuous Watts) to protect the drivers.  They will play LOUD without blowing fuses.

I bridged a Crown to drive a Dayton UM18-22 sub, for example (that's 1500W @ 4Ω), and regularly listened to classical organ music with strong components below 20 Hz.  I've never lit the -20dB indicators or the thermal ones, even at wall-rattling volumes.  The mid and high frequency panels of a Maggie are somewhat less demanding; I've measured peaks of around 100 Watts at borderline uncomfortable sound levels.  I'd hesitate to use an amp with less protection built in, but the Crowns at least should be a good match.