Difference between 2C and 2Ce?

brogoff

Difference between 2C and 2Ce?
« on: 4 Nov 2011, 04:32 pm »
I recently bought a pair of 2Cs. They're the best speakers I've ever had. What's the difference between the 2C and the 2Ce?

If I ever hit the lottery, the first thing I'll buy is a pair of 7s.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Difference between 2C and 2Ce?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2011, 05:50 pm »
First, I have no idea.

Second, save your pennies for a pair of 5As.  I've been improving parts of my system even since my purchase of the 5As this summer, and I've NEVER heard higher-quality sound anywhere.  My mind isn't powerful enough to imagine any speaker system sounding better.  Maybe $8-$10K will be enough!

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2011, 05:09 pm »
Check out this review. It has some info on the various incarnations of the Model 2.

brogoff

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2011, 09:54 pm »
Check out this review. It has some info on the various incarnations of the Model 2.
Dan, no review link or text is visible. Please repost. Thanks.

dminches

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:11 am »
The 2Cs are the older version of the 2CEs.  Over the years the drivers and electronics have been upgraded.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:33 am »
The "ALL CAPS" are not mine  8)

Most of your questions will be answered here:
http://www.vandersteen.com/vandersteenaudioqs.htm

Unknown (1/25/06): what period was the Model 2CE in production? Is the grill removable?

Answer: HELLO, THE MODEL 2CE WENT INTO PRODUCTION 1N FEB 1991. THE 2CE INITIALLY HAD THE 3/4" ALLOY TWEETER OF THE 2CI (IN PRODUCTION 1989-1991) BECAUSE WE HAD NOT COMPLETED THE 1" UNTIL NOV 1991. SN#56032 WAS THE FIRST 2CE TO INCLUDE THE 1" TWEETER AT THIS POINT THE TOP, BOTTOM, AND INPUT PLATE WERE THE ONLY PARTS COMMON BETWEEN THE TWO. IN 1998 THE 2CE WAS DISCONTINUED AND THE 2CE SIGNATURE WENT INTO PRODUCTION. THE LAST 3 MONTHS OF THE 2CE PRODUCTION HAD ABOUT HALF OF THE SIGNATURE PARTS INCLUDED (SN#77000 AND ABOVE) AND CAN BE UPGRADED TO SIGNATURES AT THE FACTORY FOR $380.00 PLUS FREIGHT. THE 2CE SIGNATURES ARE CURRENTLY STILL IN PRODUCTION BUT HAVE HAD YEARLY UPGRADES, THE MOST SIGNIFICANT IN FEB 2005 (SN#57374 AND ABOVE). THE GRILL CLOTH IS NOT REMOVABLE HOWEVER THE CUSTOMER SERVICE SECTION OF THIS WEB SITE HAS INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO GET INTO THE BOTTOM FOR SERVICE.

58000 SERIES 2CE SPEAKERS ARE OVER 15 YEARS OLD, I WOULD RECOMMEND A 2CE SIGNATURE WHICH HAS MUCH LOWER DISTORTION, BETTER POWER HANDLING AND CURRENT TECHNOLOGY.

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2011, 05:22 am »
Should you ever get the urge to move up, the earlier model 5 and 5A's are nice and can be had pretty reasonable, especially now with everyone having ants in their pants to get 7's.  Personally I like the 5/5A's better than the 7's, but it's all dependent on what you like and your available $$.

Your 2C's probably can not be upgraded to CE signatures, but call Vandersteen to be sure.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:35 am »
Recently bought a pair of 2Ci from another member, really like them.

But the 3/4" tweet is coming up a little short in reproducing vibraphone music.

Time to look up the line I suppose.

TONEPUB

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:16 am »
Give the current CE sig. a listen.  It's quite an advance from the Ci, which is about 20 years old.

If not, the 3A signatures are a great way to get a huge helping of the 5A sound on a tighter budget.