Isaac Asimov's Foundation - Apple+

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Isaac Asimov's Foundation - Apple+
« on: 29 Jan 2022, 02:21 am »
Interesting, there's not a thread on this show already.  I just finished season 1 and I was surprised at how smart this was.  It really leaned in to the whole "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" but in space. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Isaac Asimov's Foundation - Apple+
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2022, 02:31 am »
Thanks for the heads up.

How close to the books does it stay?

« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2022, 04:43 am by mresseguie »

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2022, 02:35 am »
Thanks for the heads up.

How close to the books does stay?

Never read the books  :oops:

garyalex

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2022, 03:17 am »
Agreed.  It’s very good.  The sets and the cinematography are outstanding.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2022, 01:18 pm »
Read it in the early 70's, wonder if it available in 4k?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2022, 03:54 pm »
Never read the books  :oops:
Generational thing.  For boys growing up in the 60's, reading Asimov, Heinlein, and Bradbury was the equivalent of kids reading Harry Potter.  The Foundation trilogy and the push for the moon shaped my love of the sciences and therefore my life. 

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2022, 05:11 pm »
Generational thing.  For boys growing up in the 60's, reading Asimov, Heinlein, and Bradbury was the equivalent of kids reading Harry Potter.  The Foundation trilogy and the push for the moon shaped my love of the sciences and therefore my life. 

Read Heinlein, Bradbury, Herbert and Clarke but not Asimov.  Not sure why.  I think I just never got to him before moving out of my Sci-Fi/Fantasy stage.

newzooreview

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2022, 05:30 pm »
How close to the books does it stay?

The Apple+ Foundation shows are "inspired by" the books, not an adaptation. The shows are much farther from the books than the Harry Potter movies or the Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones (so far as the books exist). The Apple+ Foundation shows are closer to the books than the train wreck Wheel of Time series on Amazon Prime, which seemed to have open animosity towards the books.

garyalex

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2022, 05:58 pm »
Read it in the early 70's, wonder if it available in 4k?

It streams in 4K: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1632466625

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2022, 09:53 pm »
The Apple+ Foundation shows are "inspired by" the books, not an adaptation. The shows are much farther from the books than the Harry Potter movies or the Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones (so far as the books exist). The Apple+ Foundation shows are closer to the books than the train wreck Wheel of Time series on Amazon Prime, which seemed to have open animosity towards the books.

I was wondering how The Wheel of Time did.  I started watching it, but then remembered I haven't read the books in a while.  I couldn't remember much of what the story was.  And I must have gotten rid of the books.

I do remember the series as being inconsistent.  I remember there was one whole book you could skip. 

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2022, 09:59 pm »

I watched season 1 of The Wheel of Time.  I didn't read the books, but I agree with you, Season1 of Wheel of Time - something feels 'off'. 

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2022, 09:58 pm »
I found I had to fast forward through the episodes of The Wheel of Time.  They seemed really slow. 

And I'm not sure why anyone would take on a book series that is - what? -- 12 books, I think.

Unfortunately, I read the books too long ago and don't remember what happened.  I barely remember the main themes. 

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2022, 05:25 am »
I thought the Wheel of Time series was great. The show makes some much-needed changes that are for the better. It invests in setting up a world most people won't be familiar with and without resorting to rape, murder, and incest to hook viewers. IMO Game of Thrones is more medieval Skinemax with fantasy trappings.

And if you think WoT was slow, then avoid the books. There are 14 of them IIRC, some of which people skipped entirely. I stopped after 6 or 7. People forget that Robert Jordan set the template for ridiculously long-winded fantasy books with little to no plot development that influenced George R.R. Martin. Back when writers were getting paid by the word and fantasy reached its peak in the 90s. Jordan died before the series was complete. Martin seems headed for the same.

For more standard hack and slash good/evil fantasy The Witcher on Netflix is pretty good.

As for Foundation I think I read it many years ago. Real sci-fi is an even tougher challenge to put on the screen IMO.