HAL MS-3 and dspMusik at CAF2016

HAL

HAL MS-3 and dspMusik at CAF2016
« on: 1 Jun 2016, 02:49 pm »
Working on a HAL MS-3 and dspMusik system for CAF2016.

Will be demoing with GT Audioworks in their room like last year.  Will have the PI Audio Group UberBUSS and DigiBUSS for the system.

Hope to see folks there for some music listening.  :D

HAL

Re: HAL MS-3 and dspMusik at CAF2016
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2016, 12:39 pm »
Just completed the updates to the HAL MS-3 Music Server coming to CAF2016.

MathAudio Room EQ is now installed.  Will be sending off the UMM-6 mic to have improved calibration data measured to use for the system.  The Room EQ can be run in Bypass mode to compare to the uncorrected sound.  The levels have to be adjusted for a correct level matched comparison as Room EQ drops the level to have the headroom to do the signal processing needed to flatten the response.  Depends on how much correction the user chooses as to how much the level is changed.

The dspMusik will be used as a DAC and possibly for time delay for subs in the room this year.  That will be determined during room setup.

Hope to see folks there in July!

HAL

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2016, 08:28 pm »
CAF2016 is a little over a week away.

Will be part of the GT Audioworks room 242 again this year. 

Hope to be demonstrating MathAudio Room EQ running on the HAL MS-3 Music Server and using the dspMusik as a HiRez DAC and time delay unit for the GT Audioworks GTA-3 speakers and subs. 

Bring a USB flash drive with FLAC or WAV file music to demo the system. 

Can also rip a track from CD if needed, but it takes time to do that. 

Hope to see folks at the show. 

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2016, 11:29 pm »
The system at CAF2016 will be the brand new GT Audioworks GTA-3R planar/ribbons speakers with a pair of 2x12" H-Frame servo subs. 

At this time the idea will be to use the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik as the digital file replay HiRez system and also perform bass management for the system.  Will be doing the time delay offset processing between the main panels and servo sub arrays.

Will also be testing MathAudio Room EQ on the MS-3 to do room and speaker correction as demos.

Hope to see folks at room 242 for demoing the system.

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2016, 12:01 am »
Tomorrow is setup day and everything is packed.  Lots of equipment, music, water and snacks for the room.

See folks Friday starting at 12PM for the show in room 242!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2016, 01:34 am »
See you there.  Maybe this year I'll actually begin to understand how to use a music server.

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2016, 01:35 am »
I give demo's for folks interested, so just ask when you stop by!

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2016, 11:47 am »
Off to CAF2016.  Setup day begins.

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2016, 04:04 pm »
Made it to the Hilton for setup and waiting on the room to be ready.   :scratch:

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2016, 10:45 pm »
Ok, room 242 has music playing! 

Now to get the other parts setup once they are dialed in.

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2016, 02:38 pm »
CAF2016 Day 1 in the GT Audioworks room 242 with the HAL MS-3 and dspMusik as the digital file replay system.

The speakers are the new GTA-3R planar ribbon hybrid speakers with 2x12 H-Frame servo subs. 

Stop by for a listen!

martinr

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2016, 12:48 am »
I'm sure it sounds great! :D

HAL

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2016, 01:11 am »
martinr,

The room is sounding great on Day1.  Just using the MS-3 and dspMusik as a HiRez two channel playback system.   :o

HAL

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2016, 10:10 am »
Day 2 improved after some new measurements on the room with the servo sub setting dialed in better.

Comments from some listeners was that they never knew it was possible to get sound this good from a system at this price point or higher. 

KLH007 has been in multiple times with his demo CD for listening and I think he is liking it.  Nice comments from other ACer's and DCAudioDIYer's as well. 

Now on to Day 3.

DTB300

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2016, 12:06 pm »
The new GT-3R sounded very good - the best to date by the designer (IMO) and with the OB Subs - sound was very very good and that was day 1.   Will be interesting to hear it today.   

If you did not get a chance to hear these make sure to stop by today.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jul 2016, 12:09 pm »
Hey, Rich!  Glad the show is going well so far.  :thumb:

Where are you guys crossing the servos over?  How efficient are the new GTA-3R?

HAL

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2016, 12:49 pm »
The crossover is at 80Hz.

The GTA3-R is 90dB sensitivity as a line array.  Very good dynamics with a 100 watt monoblock Class AB SS amp as you heard last year.

I think *Scotty* measured peaks over 105dB SPL a good 10' from them. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2016, 03:09 pm »
Those +105dB peaks were observed during playback of a cut with very wide dynamic range. The average SPL was around 85dB and the piece didn't sound LOUD just very alive dynamically as it would be when listening live music. Incredibly real sounding and one on the most true to life sounding systems at the show regardless of price.
Scotty

HAL

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jul 2016, 01:36 am »
*Scotty*,
Thanks for the great comments on the setup!   It is great working with Greg as he is always experimenting and building new driver ideas.  The latest results took the system up multiple levels this year with the full range planars.

The other thing to mention is that the MS-3 and dspMusik setup being DC coupled outputs really showed it's capabilities with the system dynamic capability in the low end.  I finally maxed out the servo subs with the Reference Recordings Pomps & Pipes The Vikings.  The room was shaking and folks were grinning! I think next time we need 3x12's! :)

Greg said if he can get a larger room next year, I should bring my 6x12 servo subs!  The DIY'ers wanted them this year.  I better get busy getting a finish on them!   :o

Really appreciate the local folks and all the attendees to stop by for a listen.  By Day 3 as usual it was all dialed in and cooking! 

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2016, 02:06 am »
My measurements were made on Sat. and my comments are also based on what I experienced on Sat.. In my opinion it was more than ready for prime by Sat. I was too busy on Sun. to get back by to hear any further refinements to the system.
 I predict that behind closed doors there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the outer darkness by the mfgrs. of much more expensive speaker systems before all is said and done. Greg's latest speakers really are just that good.
If you see the qualifier in print that they're good "for the amount of money spent", disregard it. They are good in absolute terms, no qualifiers needed.
Scotty