Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

sturgl

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
« on: 4 May 2010, 11:45 pm »
Greetings all.  I'm on a mighty quest to see if I can track down a **legal** hi-rez download of DSOTM.  Does such a thing exist?  I'm guessing not, since my quest has thus far failed - but I'd like to be sure.  And if anybody's going to give me the definitive answer, it's going to be you!  And you.  And you!  Still, it seems like it should be available, right?  Maybe not.  Maybe that's just me spouting off...

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2010, 11:54 pm »
Are you talking the SACD version (which would require a DSD to PCM conversion before being available for any download), the "bootleg" Alan Parsons mastered DVD-A version?  And are you looking for mutlichannel or 2 channel? 

By the way, note:  "Legal downloads" of copyrighted material, if not for a fee, is an oxymoron....meaning there is nothing legal about torrents, etc.  As such they can't be discussed on AC.  I know of no fee-based download sites that have a HiRez DSOTM available. 

(Note: edited cuz I didn't want to exclude the obvious approved live feed sites like www.archive.org that are not copyright protected and hence not a subject here.  DSOTM is clearly copyrighted.  )
« Last Edit: 5 May 2010, 01:18 am by ted_b »

mhconley

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2010, 11:58 pm »
There is a 100% legal and freely available 4.1 channel DVD-Audio mix of Pink Floyd's DSOTM.  It is Alan Parson's original quad mix.  Google "Pink Floyd Ultimate DSOTM" to find it.

This is the README

Dark Side Of The Moon
From the original 1/2" Master Tapes

This is the real deal. not the usual Q8 or SQ versions with all their limitations
(limited bandwidth on the Q8, Matrixed surround on the SQ  etc) but a genuine transfer from the original master tapes.
Finally you can hear Alan Parsons mix as it was always intended to be heard in studio quality audio.
The only "liberty" we have taken here is an additional .1 track. You can make up your own mind as to
whether or not it is a worthwhile addition.
It also features all new artwork in both sections specially created for this DVD-Audio release
The disc will play on all DVD players, as  it is a DVD-Audio/Video "hybrid" containing the following:

Audio_TS
MLP Lossless at 24/96 Resolution in 4.1

Video_TS
DTS from 24/48 Source files
Dolby Digital from 24/48 Source files

Additionally, it is possible to play both the lossy streams from DVD-Audio players.
Each type has it's own menus. What you can access is dependant entirely on your player.

All Authoring, Encoding, Post Production and design is exclusive to this release.

FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE THIS DISC TO OTHERS, BUT ALWAYS "AS IS" AND IN FULL.
PLEASE DO NOT RIP AND REPOST IN ANY OTHER FORMAT. THERE IS NO NEED AS ALL DVD PLAYERS CAN READ THIS DISC,
AND DOING SO WILL DEPRIVE OTHERS OF THE FULL HIGH RESOLUTION FORMATS USED.
ADDITIONALLY, RIPPING TO DTS-CD WILL INVOLVE QUALITY LOSS DUE TO DOWNSAMPLING, AND WILL
REDUCE THE LISTENING PLEASURE FOR OTHERS.

Martin

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2010, 12:06 am »
I totally agree that the AP DVD-A is much better than the SACD version.
« Last Edit: 5 May 2010, 02:35 am by ted_b »

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2010, 12:23 am »
By the way, note:  "Legal downloads", if not for a fee, is an oxymoron....meaning there is nothing legal about torrents, etc.  As such they can't be discussed on AC.  I know of no fee-based download sites that have a HiRez DSOTM available.

This is 100% incorrect.  Please do some basic research (Google) on bands that support free distribution of their live performances.

Frankly, its scary that you are a Facilitator in this Circle and are spreading this misinformation.

-Jim

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2010, 12:30 am »
This is 100% incorrect.  Please do some basic research (Google) on bands that support free distribution of their live performances.

-Jim

??  We were talking Pink Floyd, Jim.  Please don't be so "this is 100% incorrect".  Of course there are plenty of archived share sites that allow free distribution of their stuff, often in FLAC (Cowboy Junkies, Phish, etc.).  I'm not an idiot.  I'm talking about the 800 lb elephant in the room here on this one.....torrents that share bootlegged or copyrighted material that the band (Pink Floyd, for example) has NOT given approval for free distribution.  AC's policy, as most forums, is we don't discuss how to find illegal bootlegs in the forum. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2010, 12:43 am »
I understand the thread is about Pink Floyd but the statement "...there is nothing legal about torrents, etc." is incorrect unless specifically referencing material where distribution is prohibited, i.e. copyrighted materials.

-Jim

That is correct Jim!  You got me there, guy.  I edited it and hope to not get called into court again.   :)  But I have to ask, what is up with your calling my Facilitator role into question because I missed the word "copyright"?

Back on topic, I will find the article that came with my version of the DVD-A.  It explains the genesis of the unearthing of this version.

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2010, 12:49 am »
That is correct Jim!  You got me there, guy.  I edited it and hope to not get called into court again.   :)

Ha!  Yep, we're on the same page there.  Sorry for coming off so strongly.  There is ALOT of misconception about bands that actually want people to freely share their live music....I didn't want to see it perpetuated here.

Thanks for clarifying your statement.

-Jim

Mike Nomad

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2010, 02:15 am »
There is a 100% legal and freely available 4.1 channel DVD-Audio mix of Pink Floyd's DSOTM.  It is Alan Parson's original quad mix...

At best, this is a 100% Grey Market release. This is a bootleg DVD-A of a mix released on LP & R2R. As the original Quad mixes are no longer a part of _any_ active catalog, it's down to Lawyers and/or Money (should it ever get that far).

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2010, 02:34 am »
Upon further review of this topic I'm locking this thread.  It is clear that any Pink Floyd material needs to be either purchased via retail or bought via legitimate online download sites.  I know of NO authorized Dark Side Of The Moon DVD-A download sites, only grey market (the fact that someone has a copy and doesn't care that others have it is NOT the definition of "authorization of copyright"), torrents and others.  As per my own rules, and those of AC, we can not continue to discuss bootlegged/grey market or unauthorized release availability on this public forum.  Thanks for your understanding.

I'd be happy to discuss the genesis of this release, the sonics, etc.......in another thread, but this Circle is not intended to help folks find unauthorized copyrighted music.  We're here to help folks find good HiRez music, make rips and backups, find good HiRez source equipment and DACs, and generally discuss the sonics of our favorite HiRez music.