Sabaj D5 ES9038Pro DAC

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Sabaj D5 ES9038Pro DAC
« Reply #40 on: 4 Jan 2020, 11:41 am »
Michael, can you offer any comparisons between the Sabaj D5 and the Tranquility (which version?) DAC that I'm familiar with?

The Tranquility is now 10 years old, a dinosaur in the world of DAC's (from an age when CD transports out performed computer transports), a one hit wonder from designer Eric Hider, only does 16/44.1 via USB, and is of a non oversampling design.  My experience with NOS DAC's are "sleepy" (a lack of dynamics and muted detail) compared to modern DAC's that I've heard.  So I expect the Sabaj to easily beat the Tranquility. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 4 Jan 2020, 12:52 pm »
JLM,

Well, no, I cannot compare their sounds. My aural memory (anyone’s?) is very limited. It’s been two months since I last heard my Tranquility SE DAC plus it was in an entirely different system and different room. This D5 will remain in Taiwan when I return to the States. Perhaps, I'll play a few DSD tracks while I've got the D5. Perhaps, I'll be blown away...perhaps not.

[Edited because I felt much of my reply was OT, and better not included.]

« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2020, 02:20 pm by mresseguie »

wushuliu

« Reply #42 on: 13 Jan 2020, 05:25 pm »
I've had my Sabaj D5 in my vacation system for nearly a month now, and I'm quite satisfied with it. This system is MacBook Pro/TIDAL => D5 (XLR connection) => IceEdge 1200as2 amp => Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R. My cables loom is all Triode Wire Labs. Power conditioning thanks to PI Audio DigiBUSS.

During the first 25 to 40 hours or so, the highs were a little strident/a little bright, but as the unit burned in this mostly disappeared. Oh, there's still a shade of brightness, but it doesn't bother me. I've got a 6922 tube preamp sitting unused that I'll eventually connect to discover if the remaining sharpness remains, and to determine if I even need to keep the preamp. I haven't bothered to do any critical listening because I've been too busy or preoccupied, but I'll get round to it eventually. I don't have any other DACs here to compare to, so I cannot offer any thoughts.

For sure, this inexpensive little DAC is doing a great job considering its low price and ease of use. No complaints from me. I'll keep it.

Now what the heck am I going to do with my old Gustard X20u - anyone want a cheap 9018 DAC with volume control/remote?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

daledeee

« Reply #43 on: 21 Jan 2020, 02:41 am »
Maybe DAC are like everything else in the digital arena..the price goes down?  NOT.  Except for this one?

Thanks for the info.  I was just inquiring about an affordable DAC.  This is more appealing than buying a used one at least to me.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #44 on: 21 Jan 2020, 01:17 pm »
Michael's Gustard X20u is one of the exceptions to my guideline not to buy used DACs.  It's a fairly recent design, well regarded for it's time (roughly 5  years ago), and would come from a trustworthy seller.  But note that it cost nearly twice what the Sabaj D5 does, a good example of the disposability of DACs due to advances in technology and fierce competition. 

noinimod

« Reply #45 on: 22 Jan 2020, 02:25 am »
I've had my Sabaj D5 in my vacation system for nearly a month now, and I'm quite satisfied with it. This system is MacBook Pro/TIDAL => D5 (XLR connection) => IceEdge 1200as2 amp => Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R. My cables loom is all Triode Wire Labs. Power conditioning thanks to PI Audio DigiBUSS.

During the first 25 to 40 hours or so, the highs were a little strident/a little bright, but as the unit burned in this mostly disappeared. Oh, there's still a shade of brightness, but it doesn't bother me. I've got a 6922 tube preamp sitting unused that I'll eventually connect to discover if the remaining sharpness remains, and to determine if I even need to keep the preamp. I haven't bothered to do any critical listening because I've been too busy or preoccupied, but I'll get round to it eventually. I don't have any other DACs here to compare to, so I cannot offer any thoughts.

For sure, this inexpensive little DAC is doing a great job considering its low price and ease of use. No complaints from me. I'll keep it.

Now what the heck am I going to do with my old Gustard X20u - anyone want a cheap 9018 DAC with volume control/remote?
Do you find you need a great deal of attenuation for normal listening levels?

daledeee

« Reply #46 on: 31 Jan 2020, 02:53 pm »
I'm a little confused.  What connection from a Bluesound Node 2i to the Sabaj D5 is used?  I found a digital coax but there is an option for BNC and RCA.  Thanks.  Some say the Bluesound has a good DAC built in.  I find pretty good imaging and better bass with my addition of the BS  But from what I hear the Sabaj would take it to the next level.  Thank you again folks.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2020, 05:11 pm by daledeee »