March 2005 SCARe session

Mad DOg

March 2005 SCARe session
« on: 9 Feb 2005, 08:25 pm »
Ok, folks...

Sat March 5th or March 12th...any preference?

Not sure exactly what I'll have by that time (i should have some interesting gear) so i'm not sure what the focus/agenda will be, but a session is long overdue... 8) maybe this'll just be an informal fun session.

here's a tentative list of gear that MAY be in my possession...

Aesthetix Callisto linestage
Esoteric DV-50
McCormack UDP-1
Hyperion HPS-938
SST Son of Ampzilla
Venhaus Flavor PCs and Pulsar ICs
Empirical Audio modded Sony DVP-S7700
Empirical Audio modde P-3/A DAC w/ close to the latest updates ;)
Empirical Audio digital and analog ICs

also CryoTweaks has offered to bring some stuff as well...

Balanced Power BP-2
ZCable power conditioner
Walker audio Velocitor power conditioner
Sony direct digital setup (900 receiver and SACD player with firewire link)

if Shokunin and/or CryoTweaks have some XLR balanced ICs, it'd be great if you could bring them with you. using the XLR outs of the Esoteric is supposed to provide the best quality sound. the Callisto has balanced inputs and outputs as well.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2005, 10:31 pm »
Sounds cool!  I would love to hear the Asthetix, Esoteric, and McCormack pieces.  I hope you're planning to get a surround rig together to evaluate those UDPs!

If my two boys' little league games are early enough that day, I'll cruise down for the afternoon.

Reading your Benchmark DAC review (nice job by the way) had me feeling sorry for poor lonely Fo. :cry:

Mad DOg

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2005, 11:02 pm »
Quote from: Russtafarian
I hope you're planning to get a surround rig together to evaluate those UDPs!

nope...i'm strictly a 2 ch kinda guy!  8)

Mad DOg

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2005, 11:29 pm »
Quote from: Russtafarian
Reading your Benchmark DAC review (nice job by the way) had me feeling sorry for poor lonely Fo. :cry:

:lol: thanks...be sure to read Greg Weaver's review of the VR 4 jrs...EXCELLENT review...extremely thorough... :thumb:

Adam_Reiter

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2005, 11:58 pm »
I can bring a PS Audio P-500 Power Regenerator,  the newly realeased PS Audio GCC-250 Control Amplifier, and I should have the Dodson 218.   I'd also like to bring my Onix CD-1 and compare it to the Sony 7700 running the Dodson as a transport.

Mad DOg

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:15 am »
Quote from: Adam_Reiter
...I'd also like to bring my Onix CD-1 and compare it to the Sony 7700 running the Dodson as a transport.

i've already conducted this comparison before...i would not recommend this unless you're fully prepared to spend more money... :lol:

Adam_Reiter

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:17 am »
I am prepared....but I just got to know.   Which is why I'd like to hear the difference.

I am spending so much on this system, that it will be silly to not swap out a component if it makes that much difference.

Does the power cord get upgraded on the EA Modded Sony 7700?  Do they put in an IEC connector back there?  Or do they run it off the flimsy stock cord and it doesnt matter?

Mad DOg

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:31 am »
I am prepared....but I just got to know.   Which is why I'd like to hear the difference.

you've been forewarned...

Does the power cord get upgraded on the EA Modded Sony 7700?  Do they put in an IEC connector back there?  Or do they run it off the flimsy stock cord and it doesnt matter?

the PC is the flimsy stock PC...which apparently doesn't seem to hold the EA modded 7700 back as it sounds pretty awesome!

Adam_Reiter

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:36 am »
What I'd really like to do, is to send Steve my Denon 2900 to have the roughly the same upgrades as the Sony 7700.

Problem is, no one has done it yet, and therefore, nobody really knows how good it would compare, or surpass!  I could also use MY power cord for the 2900.

Mad DOg

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:44 am »
...I could also use MY power cord for the 2900.

assuming that YOUR power cord is even the best match for it in your system...sometimes a PC that works for one digital source doesn't work so hot on another digital source.

for example, source A + pc A doesn't sound as good as source B+ pc B, but once you switch PCs, source A + pc B actually sounds better than source B + either pc A or B. :o

Adam_Reiter

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2005, 12:58 am »
Well, at this point, Power Cords will be the LAST thing I am going to tamper with.

I wont even be able to hear my entire system until I get to Colorado when I have done moved into a new place, and when I can pick up the Stratas when they are finally ready.

Then, I will start with room treatments.... Then I might look into adding some subs.  Then once everything is set, and I am VERY familiar with my system.... Then I will start auditioning different PC's, and Speaker Cables, and IC's.

For now... the cables are done.

However at this point... the next upgrade may definately be the transport.

John Casler

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2005, 01:18 am »
I can bring a PS Audio P-500 Power Regenerator,  the newly realeased PS Audio GCC-250 Control Amplifier, and I should have the Dodson 218.   I'd also like to bring my Onix CD-1 and compare it to the Sony 7700 running the Dodson as a transport.

It has been a while since I have heard the CD-1.  I might like to give that a listen also (I won't be bringing my wallet :lol: )

rlcordeiro

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:11 am »
So guys back to the original question. When? Either the 5th or the12 are OK for me.

Mad DOg

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:22 am »
Quote from: rlcordeiro
So guys back to the original question. When? Either the 5th or the12 are OK for me.

thanks for keeping us on topic, ranjit! you're the only one who actually answered the question! 8)

shauk786

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2005, 06:59 am »
Sorry guys,

March is out for me. I will be on call on the week-ends, need to stay close to work.

have fun,
Shaukat

Adam_Reiter

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2005, 03:22 pm »
My vote is for the 12th.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2005, 03:38 pm »
The 12th looks good to me.  If you need anything, let me know.  I have TONS of goodies.  Perhaps a few things to give away in a drawing......  SST, Cables.

Mad DOg

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2005, 04:29 pm »
Quote from: cryotweaks
The 12th looks good to me.  If you need anything, let me know.  I have TONS of goodies.  Perhaps a few things to give away in a drawing......  SST, Cables.

i could definitely use some SST... :thumb:

this is mighty generous of you to offer giveaways!

BTW, do you have any XLR ICs you can bring?

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2005, 05:45 pm »
Yes on the XLR IC's.

Adam_Reiter

March 2005 SCARe session
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2005, 09:46 pm »
Hey Cryo Tweaks.

Do you own a truck?  I was thinking I might have to take that rack of yours off your hands.  Any way you could get it to Mad Dog's house?