BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #1160 on: 24 Jul 2018, 03:47 am »
Sorry, I meant separate L/R balanced output vs single/stereo balanced output.
Some people may argue that keeping the balanced L and R completely separate will produce the cleanest signal. There's maybe a touch of merit to that, but it's going to be so ridiculously miniscule that you'll never notice.

95Dyna

« Reply #1161 on: 27 Jul 2018, 10:44 pm »
Some people may argue that keeping the balanced L and R completely separate will produce the cleanest signal. There's maybe a touch of merit to that, but it's going to be so ridiculously miniscule that you'll never notice.

Agreed. That's why when I decided to upgrade from the Grado factory supplied cable with the Cardas Clear I opted for the 4 pin connector thinking the convenience would outweigh any practically undiscernable difference.

astrostat59

« Reply #1162 on: 28 Jul 2018, 08:46 pm »
Can the BHA-1 handle 10v input?

Maybe one for James. I have the Aries Cerat Kassandra DAC and it has a tube gain stage with 10v SE on the RCA outs. Can the amp handle that without issues? If the pot is on the input no problem. I am not sure so why I am asking.

I currently use the little Metrum Aurix on low gain (unity) with my LCD4s and have loud listening at 2 o'clock. I am thinking the Bryston will sound better of it can handle the input. :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1163 on: 28 Jul 2018, 08:53 pm »
Hi

No issue - should work great.

James

Krutsch

« Reply #1164 on: 29 Jul 2018, 07:10 pm »
Hi

No plans there.  Unless we see a way to build a better version of a piece of gear we have now we do not just build a new version to call it 'new' without a measurable performance advantage.

james

Well, you could make it smaller (less wide). Maybe something to match the BDP-Pi with fewer connection options.

For example, you could add/remove connections to match newer gear (e.g. what appears to be a universal new 'phones connector: 4mm balanced).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1165 on: 29 Jul 2018, 07:40 pm »
Well, you could make it smaller (less wide). Maybe something to match the BDP-Pi with fewer connection options.

For example, you could add/remove connections to match newer gear (e.g. what appears to be a universal new 'phones connector: 4mm balanced).

Hi Krutsch

Yes but when you look at the smaller chassis size and a few less inputs it really does not add up to much at the end cost, but I agree different features makes sense but performance would be the same.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #1166 on: 30 Jul 2018, 02:54 pm »
Hi Krutsch

Yes but when you look at the smaller chassis size and a few less inputs it really does not add up to much at the end cost, but I agree different features makes sense but performance would be the same.

james

Understood.

If you look at Head-Fi.org and look at the "show me your head-fi station" threads, you will see many examples of space-constrained setups (as well as many that are rack/shelf mounted and not constrained). Most headphone amps have more of a "shoebox" aspect ratio, as opposed to a traditional hi-fi component layout.

A little cost shaving and a smaller chassis size might translate to more sales. Just food for thought:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please.529140/page-1495#post-14363552

zoom25

« Reply #1167 on: 30 Jul 2018, 08:23 pm »
Does Bryston recommend leaving the BHA-1 on 24/7?

What are the BHA-1 owners doing?

ngamountains

« Reply #1168 on: 31 Jul 2018, 01:34 am »
I just got mine in the last two weeks and not that I'm "doing it right", but especially during the summer I'm just turning it on a bit before I intend to listen, as left on constantly it gets quite hot, which I wouldn't think does the electronics inside any favors. 

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1169 on: 31 Jul 2018, 01:39 am »
Does Bryston recommend leaving the BHA-1 on 24/7?

What are the BHA-1 owners doing?

The beauty of solid-state is that the circuits are instant gratification  :thumb:
Unlike tube gear.
I never leave anything on 24/7.

cheers

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #1170 on: 31 Jul 2018, 09:37 am »
Unless you're the type who believes in warmup/thermal equilibrium/etc, in which case tubes arguably reach that point sooner than solid state.

zoom25

« Reply #1171 on: 31 Jul 2018, 04:32 pm »
I meant for the longevity of the amp. I currently use my desktop rig periodically throughout day or night whenever I'm there in chunks. For the desktop speaker amplifier, with Class D, I just leave it on 24/7. Doesn't get warm or consume much. For the amp it might be better for it to be left on rather than turned on and off multiple times throughout the day.

I was wondering if the same applied to the BHA-1. If you use it 3-4 times in a day for say 30 mins to an hour with many hours in between, is it better for it to be left on throughout or should I turn it on and off every time. I'm not concerned about the SQ but rather what's the least harmful for the amp.

I also don't stack my components, plus the BHA-1 would have its own top shelf so nothing above to block any heat.

So turn it on/off throughout the day or leave it on?

James?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1172 on: 31 Jul 2018, 04:42 pm »
It gets warm even when idle. Like a BDP-2.
Heat 24/7 is never good for any circuit. IMO.

But why don't you just try it, and report back. Instead of asking others. Nothing like direct experience, mate.

[You could always use tubed amps. They make great area heaters for those who don't have central heating.  :lol:

cheers

zoom25

« Reply #1173 on: 31 Jul 2018, 04:51 pm »
It gets warm even when idle. Like a BDP-2.
Heat 24/7 is never good for any circuit. IMO.

But why don't you just try it, and report back. Instead of asking others. Nothing like direct experience, mate.

[You could always use tubed amps. They make great area heaters for those who don't have central heating.  :lol:

cheers

I don't have the BHA-1...yet :D

I'm not that much into headphones as I was, so I put the BHA-1 on hold for other things. I feel locked in with my desktop speaker/amp, and my current Audeze headphones. Haven't felt like changing or upgrading. I'd only be adding the BHA-1 with Audeze's in mind. It's good to know in advance of how a device can and should be handled. That was one of the selling points of buying my current Class D. I can treat it like a source component.

I'll wait for James or someone else from Bryston to comment. :popcorn:

ngamountains

« Reply #1174 on: 31 Jul 2018, 08:06 pm »
As you don't have a BHA-1 yet, I can tell you as a new owner that mine runs warmer than any other piece of equipment I own when I listen to it/leave it on for several hours straight.  It runs hotter steady-state than my 28B3 amps.  As was said above, I decided that 24/7 this was not a good thing so turn it off between listening sessions, possibly at the price of some sound quality, but I decided this was a better tradeoff.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1175 on: 31 Jul 2018, 08:10 pm »
Hi Folks

The BHA runs pure Class A so it will run hot. The whole chassis is a heatsinc so it will feel warmer than usual.

There is no issue leaving it on - we have some in Studios which have been on for years.

James

Jozsef

« Reply #1176 on: 3 Aug 2018, 12:15 am »
On the question of giving up some sound quality by turning the unit off, I would not expect the heating up of the case to be a requirement for top performance. As for longevity, there is the 20 year warranty together with the fact that Bryston repairs very old products as a service and not a revenue stream. (I say this from experience, BTW.) I therefore don't worry about mine baking itself even though it is definitely hot after several hours. (This is saying something because I'll normally use any excuse to worry about my equipment's health!)

zoom25

« Reply #1177 on: 3 Aug 2018, 08:16 pm »
Hi Folks

The BHA runs pure Class A so it will run hot. The whole chassis is a heatsinc so it will feel warmer than usual.

There is no issue leaving it on - we have some in Studios which have been on for years.

James

Thanks for the response James. It's good to know that the option of leaving it on 24/7 is indeed possible with the BHA-1.

Having said that, as described by my usage above of periodic use throughout the day, what you personally do with the BHA-1? I am not asking about SQ, but rather only interested in increasing the longevity of the amp. What would be better, turning it on/off multiple times each day or leaving it on 24/7? I'm not sure which one's the case with the BHA-1 in particular.

Will try to maximize the 20 years. Thank you.

wormcycle

« Reply #1178 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:21 am »
I am having problems with BHA-1 volume control and sensitive headphones, even on low gain. I cannot run Beyerdynamic T5p.2 at all, I have to set the volume so low that it does not go beyond the point of channel imbalance and it is loud. T5p.2 are crazy sensitive but what about HD800S - cannot move the knob beyond 9:30, with HEKv2 and some classical tracks 11 is too loud.
I also used BHA-1 as a preamp to two bridged 2B LP amps. To set a BHA-1 volume to a 12 I had to set gain on both amps to roughly 50%. I am thinking about using in line attenuators between Bryston BDA-2 and BHA-1. 10dB balanced attenuators should do it, I think. I have Shure switched attenuators,  tried -15dB but I am not sure how they affect the SQ. Or maybe iMatch is a better option.
Can anyone help please?

Tezza009

« Reply #1179 on: 29 Aug 2018, 10:13 pm »
The gain on the BHA can be reduced by I think 6db. Suggest you contact Bryston support to get details on this.