Need advice on a fun project, Drive In Movie Speakers Resto

JDoyle

I have a pair of these old Drive in speakers that I’d like to upgrade for my system in the garage. They’ll be passive/wired, no Bluetooth or anything crazy. It looks like I can possibly fit up to 2.5” in total mounting depth. The width at the holes is 4.75”. Should I ditch the metal grill and loose the retro looks of it? Should I add some filler in the case?  I will keep the volume knob for looks but it will be non-functional.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.  :popcorn:

JD

« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2019, 01:37 pm by JDoyle »

Doublej

Re: Need advice on a fun project
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2019, 01:47 am »
Check out Crutchfield. They have lots of car stereo speakers. You should be able to find something that will fit the depth requirement though it might requiring making an adapter or adapter clips for the speaker to fit the existing screw holes.

I'd try the setup with and without the grill plate to see how big a difference there is in sound quality between the two.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2019, 11:24 am »
Madisound, Parts Express, and car stereo sources are also recommended for extended range drivers.

Try to mount onto a car window, perhaps an entire old car door, to complete the image and provide an authentic sound.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2019, 01:36 pm by JLM »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2019, 12:34 pm »
Those are very cool!  Keep the grill, and leave the case intact.  The "look" is the reason for the project.  I'd paint truck bed liner on the inside to reduce ringing, then find an appropriate speaker as advised above.  Neat project! :thumb:

JDoyle

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2019, 01:44 pm »
Those are very cool!  Keep the grill, and leave the case intact.  The "look" is the reason for the project.  I'd paint truck bed liner on the inside to reduce ringing, then find an appropriate speaker as advised above.  Neat project! :thumb:

Thanks for your advice, do you think the bed liner spray is better than adding foam?

These are the speakers that I found that will fit... I was hoping for something a little better, but it’s pretty slim pickings to find something that fits.  :scratch:

https://www.parts-express.com/boss-brs40-4-dual-cone-replacement-speaker--265-390

JD

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: Need advice on a fun project, Drive In Movie Speakers Resto
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2019, 02:02 pm »
Well, I have no good advice for you but these things bring back some memories of my wild days. A long time ago when I was in college, I "acquired" some of these speakers and hooked them up to my crummy Sears record player, trying to make use of things I was learning in my EE classes. Of course they sounded like shit! But those were the days.

Gene

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2019, 02:10 pm »
Thanks for your advice, do you think the bed liner spray is better than adding foam?

These are the speakers that I found that will fit... I was hoping for something a little better, but it’s pretty slim pickings to find something that fits.  :scratch:

https://www.parts-express.com/boss-brs40-4-dual-cone-replacement-speaker--265-390

JD
Foam doesn't really do all that much unless it's designed for sound absorption.  So yeah, I'd say the liner is better, and especially better at reducing ringing of the Al case.  Your speaker choice looks good.   :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Need advice on a fun project, Drive In Movie Speakers Resto
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2019, 02:30 pm »
What a cool project!

I can see them hanging on mini posts for a desktop system.

Like others here, many nostalgic memories attached to these. I may hunt down a pair...