Latest music you've picked up...

mgalusha

« on: 25 Dec 2002, 02:54 pm »
I would love to see either a sticky thread or a semi regular new thread where folks can post the latest music they've picked up. I, for one, am always interesting in learning about new and different music.

I'll start..

Was doing some holiday shopping at Borders on Monday (not my favorite place for music) and decided to browse the CD section.

Nice to see they had all the Eva Cassidy discs and since I didn't have all of them I picked up Imagine, Eva By Heart and The Other Side (w/ Chuck Brown).

I also grabbed Ray Brown - Some of my best friends are the Guitarists.  This is basically Ray's trio with guest guitarists.

Another Ray Brown titled: Ray Brown, Monty Alexander, Russell Malone. A very nice Telarc DSD recording made shortly before Mr. Brown passed away earlier this year.

The last was Lionel Hampton with Oscar Peterson - Verve Jazz Masters 26. Recorded in 1953  and 1954, these are obviously not audiophile quality but the music is very good. Includes Ray Brown on  bass and Buddy Rich on drums.

Mike

MediaSeth

last 3 purchases
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2002, 05:31 pm »
luna- close cover before striking- on CD (case like a giant match cover)

negativland- deathsentences of the polished and structurally weak (in a cd long box with a car-manual sized companion booklet with pictures of found letters and wrecked cars- the audio on cd is not quite music, but that's negativland..they're brilliant though..start out with Helter Stupid/Moribund music of the 70's if you want good sound collage with a point to it)

cowboy junkies- open on sacd.. I don't know if I like the direction this band is going in.. I think this album is too busy and overproduced except for a couple of tracks

ok i said 3 but this came with a "weird n.j." publication- local heroes, villains, and artists...www.weirdnj.com can be amusing even if you don't live there.  I used to, though.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2002, 07:23 pm »
Bartok's Piano Concerto's #1 & #3 performed Barenboim, conducted by Boulez.

Saint Seans - Piano Concerto's #1-5 performed by Hough

Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra conducted by Solti

Bartok - complete Solo Piano Works - performed by Sandor

Biber - 12 Sonatas for trumpets, Strings, Tympani, and Continuo - Conducted by Goodman

Biber - Harmonia Artificiosa-Ariosa - Performed by the Purcell Quartet with Elizabeth Wallfisch

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2002, 01:25 am »
I went on a spree when I finally found some of that cheap used vinyl everyone always writes about in those "Wow Weezers, Vinyl Is Back" type articles.  (Some joint called Mt. Rosalie Records)  Look how much stuff I bought when the prices were all well under 10 bucks a crack!  If the goddamn RIAA would take a hint, maybe I would buy something new from them.  After playing my old craptastic scratchy copy of Aqualung I bought for 50 cents some years ago I realized I was really digging Jethro Tull.  Then when I read some more about them on the web I said to myself, "That shit is right up my alley!"  I really like that kind of medieval folk stuff. (Pentangle is also a favorite)  

Jethro Tull Aqualung
Jethro Tull Heavy Horses
Jethro Tull Benefit
Jethro Tull Minstrel in the Gallery
Jethro Tull Original Masters
Jethro Tull Songs from the Wood
Jethro Tull Rock Island
Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick
Jethro Tull This Was
Jethro Tull Too Old to Rock N Roll, Too Young to Die
Jethro Tull War Child
Jethro Tull Stormwatch
Osbourne, Ozzy The Ultimate Sin
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd Animals
Pink Floyd Momentary Lapse of Reason
Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd Meddle
Pink Floyd The Final Cut
Police Synchronocity
Police Ghost In the Machine
Police Outlandos D` Amour
Rush Hemispheres
Rush Fly By Night
Rush All The World`s A Stage
Rush A Farewell To Kings
Rush Permanent Waves
Steely Dan Can`t Buy a Thrill
Steely Dan Katy Lied
Beatles Sgt Pepper`s Lonely Hearts Club Band

Still haven't been shipped yet, but I figure at these prices it won't be so painful if some of them suck.  Say, can anyone confirm that Geddy Lee's voice is indeed panned hard left on "Rivendell"?  Makes me wonder if my current copy might be screwy or what.

I know audiophiles aren't technically supposed to listen to anything besides Diana Krall, so please forgive me!  :P  :P  :P

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2002, 02:36 am »
Oh man, great score! I've been wanting to pick up a few more Tull LPs, I have Aqualung, Brick, and Passion Play.

JohnR

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2002, 02:45 am »
Great score on the vinyl. I have most of the Tull on CD and a great deal of it is almost unlistenable. I would love to have all those on LP again.

Mike

John Bauder

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2002, 05:35 pm »
Just bought the Beatles Anthology LP.   Haven't even had a chance to clean it and play it but it looks mint.   [/img]

Bwanagreg

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2002, 03:31 am »
I am a huge King Crimson head from the mid-70's on, and they have been releasing 24 bit remastered versions of all of the classic albums recently. Just picked up Larks Tongues In Aspic, and am hearing parts I never heard before. Damn, here I go re-buying their entire catalogue again!

Also, I ordered the first three Adrian Belew solo albums (Lone Rhino, Twang Bar King, Desire Caught By The Tail) as 24 bit rematered Japanese inports. These albums are limited edtion (5000 copies) and have never been released on CD. Still have the original vinyl though.

And to meet my audiophile prerequisites, I got Patricia Barbers new CD for Christmas.