Ordered salk song 3 yesterday

boniccie

Ordered salk song 3 yesterday
« on: 22 Oct 2016, 01:49 pm »
I sold my magnepan and ordered Salk Song 3 in Walnut Burst  yesterday. I never heard any salk speakers before so I hope I made the right choice.

Woodsman

Re: Ordered salk song 3 yesterday
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2016, 02:50 pm »
I have a pair of Silk AT's that I ordered never have heard any Salk speakers either. I took a leap of faith, but with all the positive reviews I think we are very safe with our decisions. I have my eye one the Song 3 as well for an upgrade to another system. See how things go for next year. Good luck with the wait, I think I am just a little over half way there on my build.

boniccie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2016, 03:02 pm »
Woodsman, I pretty much did the same thing. Looks like a lot people made the switch without testing or ever listening to Salk. Now let's hope we made the right decision. :thumb:

gnostalgick

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2016, 04:20 pm »
   Congrats!  They're great speakers; definitely a different sound/feel than maggies.  I  don't own them yet, but maybe next year... 
  I wish I could demo a few more brands, but at the moment they're at top of my list for their great price/performance ratio, looks, and an overall neutral & balanced presentation.
  Make sure to post pics & impressions, once you can tear your self away from listening...

boniccie

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2016, 04:35 pm »
Will do for sure. I am hoping the finish will look as great as the one  showing on Salk site but for a different model.

Rich5616

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2016, 04:44 pm »
In 2010 I ordered Salk Songtowers,SongCenter, and SongSub and never looked back.
Having not heard them, it was a leap of faith. With the best word of mouth, customer
reviews, and Jim's great team, it's the best bang for the buck period.

SCompRacer

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2016, 10:26 pm »
Congrats!

I owned hybrid InnerSound MK III electrostats before my SS8's. The hybrid being folded transmission line bass modules fed by active crossover bass amp which provided excellent bass. IMO stats are similar to maggies with hard to beat transparency. IMO you get more weight in the midrange with conventional speakers, unless you get into huge panels on the stats.

boniccie

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2016, 10:54 am »
Agree, the transparency of electrostatic panel is absolutely amazing. I heard the trade off is very minimal.

Joe Frances

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:31 pm »
I have a pair of Silk AT's that I ordered never have heard any Salk speakers either. I took a leap of faith, but with all the positive reviews I think we are very safe with our decisions. I have my eye one the Song 3 as well for an upgrade to another system. See how things go for next year. Good luck with the wait, I think I am just a little over half way there on my build.

Woodman:

How do you rate the bass of the Silk ATs?  On paper its about a 3HZ difference (deeper with the regular Silks)  with a give back of about 3db in sensitivity (to the ATs).  But a lot of speakers out there are at about 47-50HZ which I read have good to very good bass performance for "real world" acoustic music listening, which for me means classical and acoustic jazz.  I have no idea what 3 HZ really translates to in actual listening.  I get that the regular Silks are "the best" at bass; but is there really that much of a difference with the ATs?  I am not suggesting you know, but I am just asking whether you find the bass satisfying without a sub.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Frances

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:34 pm »
Following on my post just above, I guess the difference between the regular Silks and the ATs is 4 HZ, but the point I am trying to make is the same.

Joe

desertrider

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2016, 01:59 pm »
Congrats boniccie! I did the same as you, ordered them based on Jim's loyal following and many positive reviews of all his speakers. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

johzel

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2016, 03:07 pm »
Congrats to all who are about to join the Salk family for the first time.  I took that leap of faith based upon reviews and reputation (and advice from others) when I purchased my first pair . . . Silk AT's.  Salk Sound has a loyal following - for good reason.  Currently, I also have a pair of Song3's being built - sort of.  Using the AT driver for the midrange and a beryllium tweeter.  Really looking forward to their delivery - 29% finished :) 

Joe Frances . . . regarding the Silk AT's with or without a subwoofer.  I used them both ways and in my opinion, the Silks are wonderful without a subwoofer.  Before selling the Silks (to move to the Song3 ATB's - ha, my name for them) I listened exclusively without a subwoofer and was never left wanting for more bass . . . of course such things depend upon the individual I suspect.

Joe Frances

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2016, 10:49 pm »
Thanks for your comment.  That's another one of those things that you can't do when you are flying blind and that is assess the merits of two similar options like the Silks and the Silk ATs.  Since I have a 60 Watt tube hybrid amp, and haven't made a decision to go up to 100 or 200 watts (yet) I am wondering if it might be better to consider the ATs as they have a bit more sensitivity.  My old but lovely but too big and too heavy Meadowlarks are 88 db and play as loud as I would ever want with 60 watts.  The ATs appear to be better suited for my current amp.  I feel like Hamlet these days. 

Joe Hamlet

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2016, 12:38 am »
Hi Guys,

I bought a pair of Salk Sound HT2's way back in 2008.  I bought these after having tried to build a diy speaker which was a miserable failure and also having bought speakers from a dealer.  Both speakers left me feeling dissatisfied.

After reading reviews from audio circle I decided to take a leap of faith and had a pair shipped to Australia having never listened to a pair.  I was very impressed with the Salk Sound HT2's and eventually bought a rhythmic subwoofer and pair of HT3's which are my main listening speakers.  I sold the HT2's for a friend (lucky him).

Apart from the quality of the cabinets and the speakers sound quality I find Jim to be very professional and his customer service is great.  I think since commencement of his business I've read one negative comment from a customer.

Anyway good luck with your speakers and I hope you thoroughly enjoy them.

Cheers Rod

johzel

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2016, 01:02 am »
Thanks for your comment.  That's another one of those things that you can't do when you are flying blind and that is assess the merits of two similar options like the Silks and the Silk ATs.  Since I have a 60 Watt tube hybrid amp, and haven't made a decision to go up to 100 or 200 watts (yet) I am wondering if it might be better to consider the ATs as they have a bit more sensitivity.  My old but lovely but too big and too heavy Meadowlarks are 88 db and play as loud as I would ever want with 60 watts.  The ATs appear to be better suited for my current amp.  I feel like Hamlet these days. 

Joe Hamlet

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" . . . Perhaps if the Silks are something you're considering call Jim and let him be your guide . . . I've taken his advice more than once and trust his experience and expertise completely . . .

Woodsman

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2016, 03:33 pm »
Woodman:

How do you rate the bass of the Silk ATs?  On paper its about a 3HZ difference (deeper with the regular Silks)  with a give back of about 3db in sensitivity (to the ATs).  But a lot of speakers out there are at about 47-50HZ which I read have good to very good bass performance for "real world" acoustic music listening, which for me means classical and acoustic jazz.  I have no idea what 3 HZ really translates to in actual listening.  I get that the regular Silks are "the best" at bass; but is there really that much of a difference with the ATs?  I am not suggesting you know, but I am just asking whether you find the bass satisfying without a sub.

Thanks,

Joe

I do not have them yet, they are just a little over half way of the build process.

boniccie

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2016, 03:15 am »
I keep hearing those amazing experiences with salk speakers which definitely makes me think I made the right move ordering the Song 3.  I am sure once I see Jim amazing finish in my case it is walnut burst, I will fall in love with them.

Woodsman

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2016, 03:04 pm »
I have not seen any of the wood veneered speakers I could not live with. I am a wood working junkie and love all of mother natures beauties. Jim and his team are able to find the best of them and turn them into a work of art. I need to wear a bib when I look through the galleries of pictures.

Joe Frances

« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2016, 02:26 pm »
How long is the build process in your case, Woodman?

Woodsman

« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2016, 03:45 pm »
I think when I signed up it was a 90 day wait, I should be getting them in not too long now. Never rush perfection.