OB7s ordered...now how to drive them?

aOBuck

OB7s ordered...now how to drive them?
« on: 4 Mar 2009, 07:40 pm »
I have finally took the plunge into buying my first DIY speaker kit. This has been a dream for about 5 years now, with school or work taking priority or just lack of extra cash all reasons for the delay I finally was able to order a pair of OB7s from Danny at gr research.

I have been wandering the site for a while now and this place is one of the main reasons I went that direction. With the speaker selection made I am now on the hunt for a new receiver, or amp/processor. I have not yet established a price point so I know that might make it hard to recommend but I would like to know what others are running the OB7s with and their findings. I would say my range is $750-$1500, but could be swayed higher if necessary. :)   

My room is quite large; it is a living room 15' x 15' with vaulted ceilings up to a loft..about 15' at the peak. The Living room has one side completely open to the kitchen which is about 13' X 10' where the ceiling is only 8' (under the loft). I may try to get a pic up if people arnt getting it.

Not that it matters that much but currently I have a Panasonic PT AE 3000U projector with about a 100" screen, HD box, PS3 etc. My usage will be 70% HD/Movies, 30% 2 channel audio.

As well I would like dual video output at the same time for another 32" LCD. For example: HD to the projector via HDMI and PS3 to the LCD either HDMI or component... Is this feature possible/common or am I dreaming?...I assume most have HDMI audio passthrough ( is this the correct term?)

So far I have been browsing Marantz, Pioneer and Denon - in that particular order and really like the Marantz SR8001 or equivalent. I have also been looking at the Outlaw separates-pre/pro + an amp--> Would it be worth it to step up to the 2k range for this?

Lastly I have not decided on any of the other speakers in the set up as of yet. However I will probably have to got with bookshelfs for the rears and side rears (if I go 7.1) and will be getting a matching center for the ob7s in due time.

Thanks for all your input and any comments or discussion is appreciated.

Cheers Adam

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: OB7s ordered...now how to drive them?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2009, 07:54 pm »
Onkyo usually has deals on the website for refurbs.  Right now there is a $199 AV receiver that should take care of your need.  Then start saving up for some nice tube stuff.  The OB7 was designed using Dodd Audio electronics, specifically a pair of 50w monoblocks and a Dodd pre.  Actually, I think Danny is trying to sell this amp as we speak.

mcgsxr

Re: OB7s ordered...now how to drive them?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2009, 12:06 am »
A lower end receiver with pre outs feeding decent tube monoblocks might be just the ticket.

You can drive the HT side of the equation via the receiver, and have 2 channel bliss via the tubes!