Adding USB port to any DAC

EarlB

« on: 18 May 2006, 10:33 pm »
Hello All, I am a new visitor to Audio Circles. While going through the various circles recently trying to glean as much information as possible re: pc audio, I ran across a post from (I believe) one of the renowned modders (Bolder Cable, Red Wine or Empirical Audio...I think) indicating an USB port could added to any existing DAC. Can someone help me find that post or direct me to a company that can do the mod?

Thanks,
Earl

Loftprojection

« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2006, 12:46 am »
I've been lurking for that kind of thing for a while, I didn't find a mod that "adds a port" to an existing DAC but I did find a couple of possibilities.

- RedWineAudio USB Select $500 (seems to be very very good)
- HagTech HagUSB $175 (cheap and good sounding solution)
- M-Audio Transit $80 (very cheap but sound is questionnable)

There is also another one which I don't remember the name but it was quite expensive, something between $500 and $1000.

Use the search function on those names above, you'll find plenty of info.  There is also a forum here for RedWineAudio and HagTech.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2006, 02:02 am »
The HagUSB also comes as a kit which ends up well under a hundred when done.

rotcoddam

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2006, 03:30 am »
I built the hagusb and it sounds very good. When not using it for my dac I feed my cheap pc speakers with the headphone out.  Much better sounding than the crappy soundcard. I think the total for the kit was around 60 bucks.

EarlB

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2006, 10:28 pm »
Thanks to all for the guidance and suggestions. Now it is time for me to do some research.

Earl