Hmm...Darn Software!

JakeJ

Hmm...Darn Software!
« on: 8 Nov 2023, 03:00 am »
I have a small issue with partitioning a drive.  I cannot seem to allocate the remaining 1.7 Tb of a 4 Tb drive.  It would seem to be a Windows thing as the BIOS sees all of the drive and Disk Management does see all of the drive but cannot do anything with that pesky 1.7 Tb.  Picture of the window

As you can see all options are grayed out.  I downloaded Partition Magic but as soon as I clicked the execute partition task it put up a paywall.  I guess there isn't any freeware anymore.

Anybody know a way to get this done?  Maybe I could run a Linux distro from a thumb drive and use the drive management tool it offers?  My experience is it just works.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Long backstory to where I am trying to build a Win 11 machine to replace the old (and soon to be forgotten) Win 10 box.  This is the third, and hopefully last, attempt.

First was a Dell Optiplex 7060 mini pc with 32 Gb RAM and 2Tb of SSD it was promising.  But it proved to be incompatible with Win11 (its primary purpose) and became unstable requiring format and reload.  Two subsequent format and reloads later I realized I was chasing my tail and loaded Roon ROCK on it.  Still have not pursued it further as I am happy with JRiver but it seems stable.  BTW, this pc was an Amazon renewed device and I won't go down that rabbit hole again.  No, no, I'll go down a different one!  Next was another mini PC by Benico.  Run from this brand if it is presented to you.  At least on the Benico I got a refund minus a restocking fee.  Was able to use that for a MeLE Overclock3C for $209 that runs rock solid.  I've been so happy with these little pc's.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Hmm...Darn Software!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2023, 04:17 am »
No IT or Geek desk but was the disk used for anything prior or fresh out of the box?

Alan

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2023, 04:54 am »
Drive manufacturers have free partition tools specific to their drives. Western digital uses Acronis

Steps to Partition and Format a Drive with Acronis True Image for Western Digital
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/23035/~/steps-to-partition-and-format-a-drive-with-acronis-true-image-for-western

Download the partition software directly from the manufacturer's site. As you found out a lot of software is free to download but costs money to use.

I use the 100% Free Paragon Backup and Recovery Community Edition to make full image backups, if the C drive fails the image is installed on a new drive and I'm up and running in a couple of hours like nothing happened.

Paragon also has a commercial version that will partition drives too. Their site says it has a 30 day free trial.

https://www.paragon-software.com/us/free/br-free/#features

I am trying to build a Win 11 machine

Windows 11 has a built in partition tool. Is the new Win11 install going on the Disk0 Lexar MB1 disk? Going to use the ISO download?
In theory you can do a fresh install on the Disk0 Lexar disk as is then use Windows to merge partitions once the install is complete. I have never done it.
Google "windows 11 combine partitions"

And why exFAT? I have a feeling that format will only come back to bite you, eventually.

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2023, 08:26 am »
Check your cluster size, if the cluster size you setup originally when you formatted the drive was too small you will not be able to allocate that size partition.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2023, 04:18 pm »
Thanks to all who responded.

Al-
It is new and I screwed it up by simply not doing a bit research.

WGH-
It's a Lexar so I went to thier website but it isn't intuitively obvious which software I need to download so I sent tech support an email.  I'll check out Paragon.  Currently I deleted the volume but the partition remains and Windows is too dumb to correct it.  OK, I'm too dumb, just need the steps in the right order.

Windows comes loaded on a 256 Gb eMMC card the other 256 Gb of storage is a mfr installed M.2 2280 SSD.  I switched that out for the Lexar so will have space to rebuild the photo library plus plenty of extra room for data.  No relocating the OS or any dual boot capabilities.  Just a replacement for Win 10 with lots of room to play.

toocool4-
Yeah, and once chosen the wimpy Disk Manglement tool in Windows offers no ability to change it.

Part of all this is the fact that when the Dell puked it took weeks worth of photo and slide scanning with it.  GRRR!  What's really frustration is I had just gotten and installed a NAS but didn't get the chance to back up the photo library.  Onward.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2023, 08:29 pm »
WGH-
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!  Paragon saved the day and since I was able to do the basic need I had I'm much more likely to buy their product.  That's the thing software marketers should do is allow full function for say 5 to 20 days then shut it down until a license is purchased.  Just my .02,

A few more apps to install and then it's back to rescanning my slides and photos.  Oh, and get automated backups working.

Again, thanks to all.

Hilariously I spent several hours today emailing back and forth with tech support at Lexar without any success.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2023, 12:48 am »
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!  Paragon saved the day...

Glad it worked out.  :thumb: